• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to Road biking "world"....help me out.

zakyr

Found another potential bike.

2011 specialized secteur sport triple, new, for less than $600.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Have you been on bikes and tried and felt the difference between Sora, Tiagra, 105, and Apex? I think you need to figure out what you want by getting on some bikes and seeing what feels best to you. You set your upper limit and that is good. Now stop shopping with your wallet, stick with your limit, and shop for what feels best.

Are you sure that is new for less than $600? Good deal if so. I wonder what is wrong with it besides being only one year old...

zakyr

Have you been on bikes and tried and felt the difference between Sora, Tiagra, 105, and Apex? I think you need to figure out what you want by getting on some bikes and seeing what feels best to you. You set your upper limit and that is good. Now stop shopping with your wallet, stick with your limit, and shop for what feels best.

Are you sure that is new for less than $600? Good deal if so. I wonder what is wrong with it besides being only one year old...

Goin to look at it monday. On the phone they said they just has one bike left for that model for 2011, just so happens to be my size.
Wasn't even assembled.....

And yes I tried different components. And being new to this, I didn't notice and drastic differences.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you didn't notice the difference between Sora and Tiagra, you might as well get the Sora which is on that triple. I can't believe they had it in the box for over a year! :eek:

zakyr

If you didn't notice the difference between Sora and Tiagra, you might as well get the Sora which is on that triple. I can't believe they had it in the box for over a year! :eek:

Who knows if it was really in the box... I won't hold that agains them.

But regardless they said it was unused. Plus the shop is in mass but I paid online, so no sales tax!

Going to the shop Monday to pick it up.

MR. evil

So which bike did you end up with? Are the including a bike fit with the purchase?

zakyr

So which bike did you end up with? Are the including a bike fit with the purchase?

2011 specialized secteur sport triple.

Their shop site says it comes with every bike purchase so I assume they will do this when I go pick it up....

MR. evil

Just checked out the Sectuer triple specs online and it's a shimano 2300 groupset which is even lower than Sora. That Fuji at $900 with A mix of Tiagra and 105 is a MUCH better buy. The Tiagra shifters alone are a HUGE improvement over 2300 or Sora. I can't imagine that you have tried 2300, Sora and Tiagra and didn't notice a difference in the shifters, they don't even operate the same way.

zakyr

Just checked out the Sectuer triple specs online and it's a shimano 2300 groupset which is even lower than Sora. That Fuji at $900 with A mix of Tiagra and 105 is a MUCH better buy. The Tiagra shifters alone are a HUGE improvement over 2300 or Sora. I can't imagine that you have tried 2300, Sora and Tiagra and didn't notice a difference in the shifters, they don't even operate the same way.

It's sora and tiagra components.... You are looking at something wrong.
http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2011&spid=53221

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That would make much more sense for the price. It looks like the "Sport" version has Sora and the regular version has 2300. I wonder if the shop gave the Sport spec accidentally. Like I wrote above, the pricing seems too good to be true even for one year old.

I would verify the sport version with Sora. Though like Mr. Evil said, it is amazing if you road Tiagra or 105 and couldn't notice the difference between that level of component and Sora. One of the shifters is controlled by the thumb on Sora whereas both shifters are on the hoods for Tiagra and above. It is a noticeable difference. Sora is damn clunky compared to STI shifting as well.

zakyr

Lol of course I noticed the thumb shifters and I actually prefer them.

I was referring to the general feel of it.

And yes it is the sport version, he explicitly said it had Sora and tiagra components.

Jeez can't a guy Just find a good deal!

Last edited:

zakyr

Sick of me yet????

So another UPDATE-

The Specialized deal fell through. Long story short, I am currently talking with the shop owner as there was a BIG screw up on their part.
The search continues...

Next bike lined up- talking with another LBS. They have a leftover '11 Trek 1.2 for $750. Seems to be similar to the Specialized I was looking at....have Sora & Tiarga components.
Just wondering if at the $750 range there are any bikes someone would say to get rather than the 1.2.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
No surprise that deal fell through. They clearly were not giving you the correct price for the bike being offered as it is surely worth more.

$750 seems more in line with what I would expect for a top name brand Sora bike.

At this level, all the bikes you are looking at are essentially the same quality. Take it for a test ride and if it is comfortable, buy it. You're not going to find many deals on new entry level Sora road bikes. They are all going to be around $700-800 no matter where you go or what brand you buy.

zakyr

Well I finally got a bike....
New leftover 2010 Trek 1.2. Ended up getting a 62cm frame.... Being just shy of 6'3" I was on the edge between a 61 and 62 frame.

Now I just need the rain to stop so I can get some miles in

Anyone use the strava app?

zakyr

How you liking the bike? Getting some miles in?

Actually ended up switching the 2010 for a 2011 Trek 1.2 in a 60cm. Did that 2 weeks ago and absolutely loving the bike. The fit is perfect and feel very comfortable on the bike.

Have been averaging 15 mile rides @ just shy of 16mph average speed.

I have definitely been bit by the road biking bug..... I get back from a ride and a couple hours later got the urge to do another.