• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rei

thetrailboss

Staff member
But TB, if you could have gotten those same skis 20-30% off MSRP somewhere else, you aren't saving money even after the member rebate and your credit card points.

Tried that. We could not get the skis she wanted at any other place for any cheaper. We went to other places in town and online and her size was just sold out. I'd love to have gotten them for 20, 30, 40% off. Hell, might as well have paid us to take them. :lol: But the reality was that it was the best deal we could get at the time.

More to the point we're happy. Nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:

jlboyell

i became a member after moving west. i havent purchased any big ticket items, but they are 3 minutes from me so if i need something stupid and dont have time to order it online its there. i would shop around for big ticket items, but they have a lot of odds and ends that are convenient, and the 10% back is a plus. i also have my eye on a rei dome tent that is like 99 bucks. everyone i talk to says its great quality for the price

〽❄❅

YEEP, and i'm so happy to have one near by. Can't beat being able to return online purchases at the local store. Plus they've a good selection of ski apparel from a variety of brands in full size runs to try on, much better then the local speciality shops.
I purchased my current alpine boots, Nordica Speedmachine 110's at the local REI store. Tried them there the prior season when full price and knew i liked them so jumped on them when they were on sale at close to 40% off the next season.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'll be stopping by the Yonkers store at some point this afternoon. My buddy's 50th party is tonight and he told me months ago that he wants me to get him the same cycling glasses that I have (Photochromatic lenses, which are so perfect for mountain biking as they get darker/lighter depending on the ambiant light in the woods)...needless to say, I waited till the day of the party. I had planned ordering them online but a quick search and the REI has them in stock. B-day present and I get 10% back for me! Can't beat that.

BenedictGomez

I didn't know you could be a member. I thought it was just like any other store?

Neither did I. I dont get it. The prices dont generally seem anything special, so I dont see the point. If it were like COSTCO, I'd understand, but.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Neither did I. I dont get it. The prices dont generally seem anything special, so I dont see the point. If it were like COSTCO, I'd understand, but.....

You pay the one-time fee and then get 10% back on everything regularly priced that you buy plus other deals. So it is worth something.

We've also got the credit card, so we get an additional 5% to our dividend. So when I buy something at REI with our credit card, we're effectively getting 15% back.

The fee is a one-time thing and, no, you don't need to be a member to shop there. You just don't get the dividend or other promos that they run from time-to-time.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
And I do think that it is better than EMS. The last time I was in an EMS, in 2011, they had gone downhill from when they were at their best, which I think was in the early and mid 2000's. They used to stock lots of different brands and run lots of good promos so you could get a good deal. They also made some decent namebrand stuff. But they really cut back on other brands, have been pushing more of their own stuff (which was not as good as it used to be) and only run deals on their stuff.

That said we did buy our MSR camp stove through them last summer and got free shipping and a really good discount to boot.

BenedictGomez

EMS is an absolute ripoff on 2/3 of their items. I've always assumed people who shop at EMS fall into one or more of the following three categories:

1) Very rich
2) Dont know where else to look
3) Lazy shoppers that dont care they're spending 10% to 50% too much because they cant be bothered

This of course is coming from.......
<----- Cheapskate

timm

BD Quandrants are under $300 with the 20% off from there right now if anybody is looking for good AT boots.

gmcunni

Member sale starts today, use your dividends up!

damn.. could pick up new Line Prophet 98 with Marker Griffon B110 for $564. too bad i can't afford them right now.

DOH!

Discounts not valid on hardshell boats, stand up paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, personal locator beacons, avalanche airbag packs, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.

o3jeff

DOH!

Discounts not valid on hardshell boats, stand up paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, personal locator beacons, avalanche airbag packs, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.

At least you don't have to buy skis now!

thetrailboss

Staff member
DOH!

that sucks