• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rei

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just got this from REI:

Since 1938, getting you outfitted with the right gear to enjoy your
outdoor adventures has been our number one goal. We have earned
a well-deserved reputation for our friendly expertise, and our 100%
guarantee means that we stand behind everything we sell.

REI has one of the best return policies in retail, and we remain committed
to your satisfaction with everything you buy at REI. We also have a
small, but growing, number of customers who stretch our policy beyond
its intended purpose. To ensure that we can continue to offer our 100%
Satisfaction Guarantee, we're updating our policy: You have one year
from purchase to return or exchange any item you're not satisfied with,
except items purchased from REI-OUTLET, which must be returned
within 30 days of purchase. If you want to learn more, please click here.
These updates enable us to maintain our robust policy and, as always,
stand behind all purchases made at REI and REI-OUTLET.

We are committed to getting you into the very best gear and apparel for
your outdoor adventures. This means offering you great service and
standing behind the products we sell. That was the case in 1938, and it
remains true today. I thank you for your support and patronage of REI
and wish you a season of unforgettable outdoor experiences.

Tim Spangler
Senior Vice President, Retail

:thumbdown:

I don't recall what their previous policy was exactly, but I was under the impression that it was similar to EMS (100% satisfaction guaranteed...return at any time within reason).

Bummer that this changed.

〽❄❅

I assume that goes into effect immediately. What about purchases made prior to the policy change, would they still go by what the return policy was at the time of purchase?

thetrailboss

Staff member
〽❄❅;782123 said:
I assume that goes into effect immediately. What about purchases made prior to the policy change, would they still go by what the return policy was at the time of purchase?

No idea......

hammer

Not good...their competitors still have a Lifetime return policy, don't they?

Thanks for sharing the info.

o3jeff

If you've ever gone to one of their garage sales you'll see why they are doing this. Some people have some unreal expectations of things.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you've ever gone to one of their garage sales you'll see why they are doing this. Some people have some unreal expectations of things.

Really? So that is what was going on.

I think it was a really tough decision because they are a coop and, as an owner, I'd want what is best for the company so that it can survive. In these times, unfortunately, some take advantage of things like this and it hurts everyone. I personally don't like the change, but I can understand why.

I'm kind of bummed...but in the last few years I have adjusted my expectations on things. Generally if something is going to have a problem it will be within a few uses.

o3jeff

I'm not sure if that is why they are changing it or not, but having seen some of the returned stuff at their garage sale I'm not surprised. Now the people will just return/exchange/upgrade their stuff at 11 months!

I think the local REI is having their garage sale this weekend, if I have time to go I'll snap some pics of the stuff there.

wa-loaf

They are maintaining their warranty for defective stuff. Just not letting people return their strollers once the kids are grown up ...

thetrailboss

Staff member

bigbog

Another member here... Always interested in checking out what they have for clothing(outdoor & skiing), camping access, hiking boots and skiboots(early in season often carry a few of latest AT boots)...fwiw..

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
So a big thumbs down to REI. I've been eyeing some stuff in the Outlet recently. The price was a bit too high for me, but I figured that there would be a sale soon. Just got the flier in the mail....20% off an outlet item. Go to the page and what did they do? Jacked up the prices on the items I was eyeing right before the sale so that with the promo you pay MORE than it was originally listed at. Lame. REI you're better than that!

〽❄❅

^Win some lose some, I'll bet you've made out there more often then not. So don't be a Grinch and stop dissing REI!
Let's face it, they have one of the best return policies around and are fair about it. I often pay more there for the piece of mind of knowing I have recourse even though I know there is a high probability I'll like and keep whatever it is and despite finding it elsewhere online for less.
I for one love having one of their stores in my neck of the woods, makes ordering multiple sizes of a item that you'll never know how it'll fit without actually trying so much easier wrt running it back to the store and not dealing with return shipping etc. Without that option I often forget about the item under consideration.

skiNEwhere

So a big thumbs down to REI. I've been eyeing some stuff in the Outlet recently. The price was a bit too high for me, but I figured that there would be a sale soon. Just got the flier in the mail....20% off an outlet item. Go to the page and what did they do? Jacked up the prices on the items I was eyeing right before the sale so that with the promo you pay MORE than it was originally listed at. Lame. REI you're better than that!

This sorta happened to me with some Black Diamond skins. I was waiting and waiting and waiting for the sale and once it hit, that item was no longer available. Well I called and complained and they ended up giving me the 20% discount to make the total like $115 with free shipping. Not too bad.

Check out the REI garage sale. You can buy items that other people returned for a steep discount.

thetrailboss

Staff member
〽❄❅;912263 said:
^Win some lose some, I'll bet you've made out there more often then not. So don't be a Grinch and stop dissing REI!

Geesh one gripe and I am a Grinch?!

Let's face it, they have one of the best return policies around and are fair about it. I often pay more there for the piece of mind of knowing I have recourse even though I know there is a high probability I'll like and keep whatever it is and despite finding it elsewhere online for less.

You do know that their return policy radically changed last year, yes?

I for one love having one of their stores in my neck of the woods, makes ordering multiple sizes of a item that you'll never know how it'll fit without actually trying so much easier wrt running it back to the store and not dealing with return shipping etc. Without that option I often forget about the item under consideration.

Same here.

drjeff

I've noticed that many of the "good" items at REI that I see on their in store "sale" racks really aren't that great a deal, and have seen their bump the price up a bit before their big sales thing before - expect that in the next week as I just got in the mail a flyer promoting their Labor Day Weekend "Big Sale" :rolleyes:

They have a full goretex Arc'teryx hard shell in their Cranston, RI store, in my size, that I've been checking out since last March - the list on it is about $500, I've never seen it, even in their "BIG" sales below $350 - my hunch is that it will still be on their sale rack as Christmas approaches, as I've seen that same model Arc'etryx hard shell on sale racks in shops in VT for $225-$250, so you know if the little stores are selling it for around $100 less than REI's sale price that REI has some room to move on that price if they really want to get it off their racks

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've noticed that many of the "good" items at REI that I see on their in store "sale" racks really aren't that great a deal, and have seen their bump the price up a bit before their big sales thing before - expect that in the next week as I just got in the mail a flyer promoting their Labor Day Weekend "Big Sale" :rolleyes:

They have a full goretex Arc'teryx hard shell in their Cranston, RI store, in my size, that I've been checking out since last March - the list on it is about $500, I've never seen it, even in their "BIG" sales below $350 - my hunch is that it will still be on their sale rack as Christmas approaches, as I've seen that same model Arc'etryx hard shell on sale racks in shops in VT for $225-$250, so you know if the little stores are selling it for around $100 less than REI's sale price that REI has some room to move on that price if they really want to get it off their racks

Yeah, exactly. I got an INSANE deal last year on an item from the Outlet....it was a nice Mammut puffy vest that retailed for $175 and I snagged it for $35. No joke. Just overstock. So I've been watching some other items and hoping for a similarly good deal. Oh well....something to pass the time.