• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rei

thetrailboss

Staff member
So who is a member?

When I lived in Boston for a couple years, I first visited the REI stores in Reading and out in the Fenway area. I will admit that I pretty much exclusively went to EMS when I was in the Northeast. I was skeptical then of joining the coop because at that time I just did not buy much stuff and was looking for deals. Besides that REI just was not a big presence in the Northeast.

Fast forward to this year when we move to SLC. Of course there is no EMS here and if there was I might not shop there as much because it is just not as good as it used to be. We went to REI in January to get my wife some skis and was blown away by our store. It is HUGE and carries a lot of brands. They have a full ski/bike tuning shop, rental shop, event/conference room area, and even shopping carts :lol: We found that the folks there are very helpful and knowledgeable...suggesting the right skis for my wife. We joined the coop and are pretty happy.

They have had some good sales and deals...and next year we will probably have a good dividend.

I have not bought any store brand gear, but once we do I will let you know what we think....

o3jeff

I joined when they opened a store here in West Hartford and have bought quite a bit of stuff there. As a member they are always running specials for 20% off or free shipping on stuff too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The free shipping is a nice perk. I have had good interactions with the folks both at the toll free number and in the store.

bvibert

Staff member
I also joined when they first opened the store in West Hartford. I almost never shop there though. My dividend is usually like 35 cents, if I get one at all.

kickstand

Been a member for what feels like forever. I live spitting distance from the Reading, MA store. I drive by it almost daily. It's very hard to just drive by it, especially when there's something I want or knowing I still have my dividend to spend.

WoodCore

Member for the last few years and love the dividend and the 20% off sales.

rockisland

Long time member also and seem to be in the Reading store once a week. One thing to remember on the dividend is anything you buy with a coupon or on sale is not part of the dividend unless you sign up for the REI visa card.

o3jeff

Long time member also and seem to be in the Reading store once a week. One thing to remember on the dividend is anything you buy with a coupon or on sale is not part of the dividend unless you sign up for the REI visa card.

I have the REI credit card too and use it for my expenses at work, last dividend was almost $150.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We got the Visa card recently as well. Similar to the LL Bean card in that you rack up credits fast...especially with work related expenses.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Problem with dividends is you only earn points on full price items which often aren't worth full price or you can find those items cheaper else where. I always take advantage of the 20% member coupons. I think they charge for coop membership but you can hook up free memberships pretty easily. I got my membership comp'd on my first purchase at an REI store. Been on board with their membership for a dozen years now. Never shopped at EMS when I lived near an REI. Always been under whelmed by EMS on many levels.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Been a member for over 20 years, since I used to shop at the store in New Rochelle. Then they closed that store and for about 7 years or so there were no REI's in NY. Then, recently they opened one in Yonkers, one out on LI and one in NJ. I've been to the LI and Yonkers stores.

But, what is cool is that once you're a member, you're in for life! It had been about a good 12 years probably since I'd been in the store and while out skiing in SLC I went to one of the stores. Someone had given me a gift card and I bought a pair of hiking boots. At the checkout line, they asked for my member number which, of course, I had forgotten. But, they were able to look me up in their computer and sure enough, still listed after about a dozen years!

Big fan of the store, but as Riv, noted, their prices are pretty much full retail (and you can usually find it for less eleswhere) unless you get the coupons.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a member, but rarely bother going there. The Reading, Mass store is the most local to me and I'd stop by from time to time on my commute when I used to work in Boston. Truthfully, I find the store somewhat underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, they have some great stuff, but I had this preconceived notion that REI was top of the food chain. They're better than EMS no doubt, but it still just feels like a higher end chain when I go in. I'd rather support an independent retailer or just buy something online where the deals are much better.

hammer

Been a member for the past few years. I've actually been able to pick up some great deals on skis for my son and ski boots. Don't really pay much attention to the dividend, only buy items on sale or on closeout. Nice to be able to pick up the items in the Reading store although that will be more out of the way after my office moves to Burlington in a few weeks.

snoseek

I was a member when I lived in Golden just because the Denver store was awesome and actually had impressive ongoing sales. Other than that I feel there are much better values out there for my needs.

WWF-VT

REI member and go to the Framingham, MA location where they have a wide selection of quality gear and the staff is knowlegable about the products. Sales and coupons make their costs very competitve.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, only $20.

I used to think like Riv. But when we got my wife's skis, and we were having a hard time finding her length and had to get them at REI, I realized that we were getting 10% back. With the credit card now, it is like paying ourselves 15% for every regular REI purchase. So, in effect, we have a 15% sale everyday. And we don't have to wait for the thing to go on sale.

And with my wife's new skis, our new BOB stroller (parents, get one they are great), as well as some other odds and ends, that dividend is adding up fast :eek:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
But TB, if you could have gotten those same skis 20-30% off MSRP somewhere else, you aren't saving money even after the member rebate and your credit card points. The idea of paying for a pair of skis at only 15% discount from full retail is anathema to my consumer spending habits. And you have to wait for that rebate as you only get that 10% back once a year.