• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Economy Slowing Again

hammer

I'm doing great financially...
All my friends are working..
My house is almost paid for..
I have no debt except a mortgage..
I'm back to giving a lot to charity...
My 401k - although a bit flat now is doing well..

But from where I sit - things are doing well.. The company I work for is kicking ass and can't hire people quick enough..
I can't find enough people to staff IT jobs around the country and it kills me. We are moving our outsourcing from India to the Philippines. Indians want too much $ now..

I know construction is suffering.. But you had to see the construction slowdown coming... I did and I don't even work in construction.

We need people to learn for the jobs of the future..
While we were sending our kids to wars other countries were preparing their youth for the future.

The recovery is slow... But I have patients and believe that it is happening the correct way.. It may not put people back into McMansions but it doing well for me now..

PS: My year hiatus is over.. But don't try to drag me into any AZ drama... Not going to happen... Peace y'all... Until next time!
Just wondering how specific your company is on qualifications for folks in the US...one of the problems with jobs is that it seems like many companies are looking for the perfect employee who needs no training whatsoever.

What ever happened to the approach of hiring a smart capable person and making a reasonable investment in training?

I think the job situation is bad because most companies are finding out that even though they could hire they are managing with fewer people...and that makes a big difference in costs.

dmc

Just wondering how specific your company is on qualifications for folks in the US...one of the problems with jobs is that it seems like many companies are looking for the perfect employee who needs no training whatsoever.

What ever happened to the approach of hiring a smart capable person and making a reasonable investment in training?

I think the job situation is bad because most companies are finding out that even though they could hire they are managing with fewer people...and that makes a big difference in costs.

We hire smart capable people with basic IT Database skills and send them to training and continue training.... I've hired a few people I know that weren't exactly right technically but we've trained them to be awesome!

We are in colleges - giving out equipment to them so they can teach IT Database skills...
We aren't looking for the perfect person.. We just need people that know the basics and can be trained..

the world is changing fast.. It's like when we went from an agricultural society to a manufacturing society.. We are now moving into a hi tech society..

Geoff

We are moving our outsourcing from India to the Philippines. Indians want too much $ now..

This highlights the root cause structural problem with the economy. If you do a job that can be outsourced and done cheaper elsewhere, you either take a massive pay cut or your job vaporizes. I'd estimate that in the recession, 10% of the total jobs were shed, pushed offshore, and will never return. If you don't have job skills that create the demand to pay you 4x what some guy in Shanghai is getting, you're out of luck.

snoseek

DMC back, nice!

I focus on the Micro (me) and pay almost no attention to the rest. To remain working is not an issue, my work cannot be outsourced. My financial needs are pretty low at the moment, I hope to keep it that way.

steamboat1

I'm doing great financially...
All my friends are working..
My house is almost paid for..
I have no debt except a mortgage..
I'm back to giving a lot to charity...
My 401k - although a bit flat now is doing well..

But from where I sit - things are doing well.. The company I work for is kicking ass and can't hire people quick enough..
I can't find enough people to staff IT jobs around the country and it kills me. We are moving our outsourcing from India to the Philippines. Indians want too much $ now..

I know construction is suffering.. But you had to see the construction slowdown coming... I did and I don't even work in construction.

We need people to learn for the jobs of the future..
While we were sending our kids to wars other countries were preparing their youth for the future.

The recovery is slow... But I have patients and believe that it is happening the correct way.. It may not put people back into McMansions but it doing well for me now..

PS: My year hiatus is over.. But don't try to drag me into any AZ drama... Not going to happen... Peace y'all... Until next time!
Couldn't care less what your doing.

I'm well beyond that stage.

Nothing like a pat on the back from yourself heh

Last edited:

dmc

Couldn't care less what your doing.

I'm well beyond that stage.

Nothing like a pat on the back from yourself heh

Are you in construction?
Yeah - I'm proud of what I've accomplished.. At least I don't put it in my "sig".

My point is... Things are not as bad as people want us to believe.. Many people are prospering. But we don't really hear about that.

dmc

DMC back, nice!

I focus on the Micro (me) and pay almost no attention to the rest. To remain working is not an issue, my work cannot be outsourced. My financial needs are pretty low at the moment, I hope to keep it that way.

Thats the way to do it... create your own economy.

dmc

This highlights the root cause structural problem with the economy. If you do a job that can be outsourced and done cheaper elsewhere, you either take a massive pay cut or your job vaporizes. I'd estimate that in the recession, 10% of the total jobs were shed, pushed offshore, and will never return. If you don't have job skills that create the demand to pay you 4x what some guy in Shanghai is getting, you're out of luck.

But we TRY to staff from the US first.
And we can't find the people to do the jobs. We bring the jobs back when we find people to take them here..

My AT&T job went to India in 1999.. And now that "function" is done by an AT&T employee in Georgia. So jobs do come back.. Not saying all..

Rushski

Not to get political, but the numbers a certain incumbent is highlighting lately are skewed and not truly representative of what's going on... Created jobs Vs. lost jobs would be a better graph.

I know people on both the proffessional side and working class side who have never had trouble getting or holiding jobs that certainly are now. Plus New England in general is a pretty solid job market compared to most of the country.

Layoffs, hiring freezes, pay cuts, few low end jobs and little opportunities for new grads show me an absolute issue with the economy.

And I'm not even mentioning all the stores - small and large going out of business.

ScottySkis

Not to get political, but the numbers a certain incumbent is highlighting lately are skewed and not truly representative of what's going on... Created jobs Vs. lost jobs would be a better graph.

I know people on both the proffessional side and working class side who have never had trouble getting or holiding jobs that certainly are now. Plus New England in general is a pretty solid job market compared to most of the country.

Layoffs, hiring freezes, pay cuts, few low end jobs and little opportunities for new grads show me an absolute issue with the economy.

And I'm not even mentioning all the stores - small and large going out of business.

Well my boss is opening up his 4 high fashion retail store in NYC but he has saved money by no raises since economy starting crashing few years ago. I'm glad that he got money but i think he should give some long term retirement pay but nothing actually i get less vacation time now then when i started at this job 6 in half years ago. DMC glad your back to posting even if i like the better catskill hill lol.

dmc

What I'm saying is college students need to make a move to the skills that are part of this new economy..

Liberal Arts? no... HiTech/IT yes!!!

We need to start filling the new jobs out there with Americans! There's a shtiload of jobs available in IT/HiTech... Go get them!!! Prosper!!!

There's a ton of news articles about this..
http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/opinion/blogpost/11156118/.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46902840
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46708698/Jobs_Employers_Can_t_Fill
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/04/help-wanted-automakers-cant-fill-all-the-jobs/

dmc

DMC was on the Dagobah System getting IT training from Yoda.

I'm self trained and have reinvented my career a few times to keep up with the changing world... I'm a big fan on mentoring.

Geoff

What I'm saying is college students need to make a move to the skills that are part of this new economy..

Liberal Arts? no... HiTech/IT yes!!!

We need to start filling the new jobs out there with Americans! There's a shtiload of jobs available in IT/HiTech... Go get them!!! Prosper!!!

There's a ton of news articles about this..
http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/opinion/blogpost/11156118/.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46902840
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46708698/Jobs_Employers_Can_t_Fill
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/04/help-wanted-automakers-cant-fill-all-the-jobs/

The problem with high tech is that you need to be born with the aptitude to handle the work. If you're bright enough to handle the work, there are other occupations that pay a heck of a lot better. If you look at the UK where doctors, lawyers, and bankers aren't so highly paid, you see a lot more bright Brits in the engineering professions.

There are other issues... Talented children underachieving in school so they never get the essential background needed for high tech. Lousy work ethic and sense of entitlement from growing up too damned affluent. The US high tech labor pool is littered with poor-performing "C" players and there simply aren't all that many "A" players. In the downturn four years ago, a lot of those "C" players went unemployed and are still out of work or underemployed.

dmc

IT is just one place that people are needed.. We need to get our people up to speed - eliminating teachers is not going to help us out...

http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/opinion/blogpost/11156118/

Here are the top 10 skill sets employers say they have trouble finding:

Skilled Trades
Engineers
IT Staff
Sales Representatives
Accounting & Finance Staff
Drivers
Mechanics
Nurses
Machinists/Machine Operators
Teachers