• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Economy Slowing Again

hammer

What I'm saying is college students need to make a move to the skills that are part of this new economy..

Liberal Arts? no... HiTech/IT yes!!!

We need to start filling the new jobs out there with Americans! There's a shtiload of jobs available in IT/HiTech... Go get them!!! Prosper!!!

There's a ton of news articles about this..
http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/opinion/blogpost/11156118/.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46902840
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46708698/Jobs_Employers_Can_t_Fill
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/04/help-wanted-automakers-cant-fill-all-the-jobs/

IMO it's not just about getting the right degree or skill set...it's about employers who want the ideal candidate and are holding out because they can.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/04/154268375/unemployment-followup

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...any-is-hiring/2012/06/06/gJQAtnXdIV_blog.html

Unfortunately I think it will have to get worse before it gets better...

dmc

Anybody that relies on the internet job boards to find jobs is an not going to find one very easily... sorry...
The best jobs are the ones your find through people... With MAYBE LinkedIn as an exception.. I've found people jobs using my contacts on LinkedIn..

I see both sides.. But again - from where I sit - we offer a good salary and have jobs available. And we're willing to train people up. Because we want to succeed as a company.

hammer

Anybody that relies on the internet job boards to find jobs is an not going to find one very easily... sorry...
The best jobs are the ones your find through people... With MAYBE LinkedIn as an exception.. I've found people jobs using my contacts on LinkedIn..

I see both sides.. But again - from where I sit - we offer a good salary and have jobs available. And we're willing to train people up. Because we want to succeed as a company.
AFAIK the company I work for is the same way, we'd rather get the right people who may not match the specific skill set than someone who just looks good on a resume. Then again, the company is small, established, and privately-held, and we don't have HR people or software.

Hear you on the networking aspect of the job search.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What I'm saying is college students need to make a move to the skills that are part of this new economy..

Liberal Arts? no... HiTech/IT yes!!!

I'm self trained and have reinvented my career a few times to keep up with the changing world... .

Not just college students, but adults need to make that move and reinvent themselves like you have.

It's not always easy to do. I had a decent career in the F&B/hospitality industry. I wasn't raking it in, but I was comfortable. There was still room for growth for me in that field, but it's a pretty volatile business. Made the decision to go back to go school last fall to transition into a much more stable industry (medical). Now I'm a 36 year old college student again struggling to get by and will be broke as hell for the next two years. But, when I finish, I will have positioned myself into a field where I know that both the job prospects and room for growth will be stable for the rest of my life even during economic downturns.

drjeff

AFAIK the company I work for is the same way, we'd rather get the right people who may not match the specific skill set than someone who just looks good on a resume. Then again, the company is small, established, and privately-held, and we don't have HR people or software.

There is totally that "X factor" with respect to that person that has the right attitude and commitment but not the "perfect" skill set. Much easier to train a person to that skill set than have to develop that attitude and commitment IMHO.

While there sure are plenty of people out there these days that do have that attitude and commitment, there also seems to be more and more people that either don't have it, or want to do those little extra things that seperates one from another. As the old saying goes, and one that my business partner and myself keep using with our employees, "The difference between extraordinary and ordinary is EXTRA"

dmc

I don't trust resume's as far as I can throw them...
I'll look at a resume' and get on the phone with the person.. If it plays out then I'll interview.
But I've caught a ton of people in lies on resume's...

We're pretty big - we have HR and stuff.. I get an email a day for HR looking for candidates.. It's crazy...

drjeff

Not just college students, but adults need to make that move and reinvent themselves like you have.

It's not always easy to do. I had a decent career in the F&B/hospitality industry. I wasn't raking it in, but I was comfortable. There was still room for growth for me in that field, but it's a pretty volatile business. Made the decision to go back to go school last fall to transition into a much more stable industry (medical). Now I'm a 36 year old college student again struggling to get by and will be broke as hell for the next two years. But, when I finish, I will have positioned myself into a field where I know that both the job prospects and room for growth will be stable for the rest of my life even during economic downturns.

And DHS, I bet that that real world experience that you're bringing to school right now makes you a far better student than the post high school crowd. Since you likely now realize more than ever the true value that education is bringing you.

dmc

Yup... I've to do it a couple times in the last decade..

Suffering is part of life(been studying Buddhism lately).. McMansions are a thing of the past.. Simplify your life and try something different.. And yes - not always easy.. It may require a move or cash for school.. When I was unemployed after 911 I took some classes that were part of my unemployment compensation.

Good for you reinventing yourself! You'll succeed and prosper!

Cracks me up that all these people talk about taking control of your own life as far as healthcare ,Social Security and other stuff goes.. But never saw the downturn coming or didn't prepare for it and all they do is bitch... Go out and change your life!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
And DHS, I bet that that real world experience that you're bringing to school right now makes you a far better student than the post high school crowd. Since you likely now realize more than ever the true value that education is bringing you.

3.92 GPA thus far. ;)

Looking back, my effort getting my Bachelors at UVM was pretty embarrassing. Spent more time on the slopes at Stowe and catching Phish shows than I did in the classroom.

Being broke, working nights and weekends and hardly ever seeing my wife completely sucks. However, going back to school is BY FAR the most rewarding thing I've ever done for myself.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It's very true. I went and got my MBA right out of college and while I was working full time I can certainly see how I would have been able to apply that knowledge or comprehend it more if I were doing it today after a decade in the full time workforce.

dmc

I never finished college.. I couldn't afford it at the time..

I was mentored at AT&T and learned all about data processing and computers... Now I just take classes and seminars...

Warp Daddy

Nice !! What are u studying?

Warp Daddy

Yes in a former life as a Dean of Lifelong Learningand Non traditional education at a Technically oriented institution with multiple programs in a variety of Health Care , Engineering technologies , IT, Business as well as Lib arts our finest students were adults . Their focus , dedication , desire and willingness to go the EXTRA mile for both their own self improvement as well as BALANCING multiple responsibilities often resulted in spectacular personal growth and career enrichment .

Like many of you i did my Undergrad degree as a traditionally aged student and loved to engage in all the nonsense that often occurs then . However when i finished my masters i was 38 and the doctoral program brought me well into my 40's while my wife and 2 kids were ALL in collegeg AT THE SAME TIME and my wife and i were working FULLTIME in addition.

So i empathesize with the sacrifices that you are making DHS -- but the rewards are worth the journey on MANY levels -- Good luck

and OH DMC -- u are RIGHT on target about SIMPLIFYING your life , separating wants from needs and focusing on building that which lasts in life rather than focusing on the never-ending quest for STUFF . And the concept of reintventing oneself is key -------- . The ole far eastern philosophy of the guru dipping his foot into the river as an analogy for life rings true when he uttered " the River is NEVER the same TWICE : the same with life . The fierce adherence to the status quo by some is akin to regression

ctenidae

The headline to this thread would seem to implay that the economy had sped up at some point. I submit that it just stopped slowing down as much. Rate of change of the rate of change, and all that.

I have a real problem with the complaints about "the system" causing problems. Mostly because people tend to point to the wrong system. There's a real problem with a social system that encourages nothing but book learing for 21 years, with a massive dose of over-scheduling and over-stimulation and over-dependance, followed by a push to get married, have kids, buy a house, and submit as soon as possible to wage slavery.

I went to school, realized I didn't know jack-all (and was supposed to go teach in high school- teach what, I ask you? What the hell did I know?). So, I went out and learned some stuff. How to fend for myself. How to travel to different states, countries, and hemispheres. How to get along as a fully functioning adaptable human being. Then I went back to school, taking more hours than full time students while working full time. Then I got my MBA, while working full time. I got married in there, too, and eventually bought a house. Then a great opportunity came up, and I was nimble enough to take advantage of it. Sold the house, moved, had a kid, and am now generally living large. Some of the costs are high, and I recognize that. I also recognize, and intend for them to be, relatively short lived.

I love my wife, my kid is great (so far), my job is secure, I have a nice car, a nice house, and a nice boat. My dog doesn't have fleas, and I get to spend a decent amount of time enjoying the little things. I totally get dmc's self-back-patting, because I completely agree with him. While we have slightly different styles, he's got his shit wired straight and knows what he wants and how to keep it.

Too many people are trapped in lives they weren't creative enough to avoid. I feel sorry for them, and hope they can figure out how to change it. But as soon as the "99%" say that I'm wrong for having figured shit out myself and gotten to where I am on my own, I lose sympathy very very quickly.

On topic, returning to the gold standard won't help fix wage slavery. Education, freedom, and creativity will. Unfortunately, floating currency is better for that than gold.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This highlights the root cause structural problem with the economy. If you do a job that can be outsourced and done cheaper elsewhere, you either take a massive pay cut or your job vaporizes. I'd estimate that in the recession, 10% of the total jobs were shed, pushed offshore, and will never return. If you don't have job skills that create the demand to pay you 4x what some guy in Shanghai is getting, you're out of luck.
From where I stand, a lot of job loss during the current recession was due to organizations not replacing workers that retire or quit. In other words, jobs didn't go away, they were completely eliminated. Of course, there were industries hit by fewer orders and decreased demand. Again, jobs gone not moved else where.

Sure, outsourcing is happening. But consumers benefit with better products at lower prices. We need two things here: A) businesses that innovate and create new products that customers want and B) a workforce ready to change and shift with demand.

I am still STUNNED when I hear reports that skilled IT workers are in high demand right now. STUNNED!!! Last I heard, all the IT jobs got shipped off to Asia. But for some reason, we have a shortage now. What's up with that?

It is complex. But the whole anti-outsourcing thing is short sighted.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My dog doesn't have fleas
And that is the most important thing right there. Don't even want to think about how much life would suck if the dog had fleas.

I agree with your critique of the social system/structure. My own background: no one ever really sat me down and said this is how it is. I figured so much out on my own. Maybe I would not have listened. Who knows.

SkiFanE

From where I stand, a lot of job loss during the current recession was due to organizations not replacing workers that retire or quit. In other words, jobs didn't go away, they were completely eliminated. Of course, there were industries hit by fewer orders and decreased demand. Again, jobs gone not moved else where.

Sure, outsourcing is happening. But consumers benefit with better products at lower prices. We need two things here: A) businesses that innovate and create new products that customers want and B) a workforce ready to change and shift with demand.

I am still STUNNED when I hear reports that skilled IT workers are in high demand right now. STUNNED!!! Last I heard, all the IT jobs got shipped off to Asia. But for some reason, we have a shortage now. What's up with that?

It is complex. But the whole anti-outsourcing thing is short sighted.

I think "skilled" is the key. I think there are some skills that are a dime a dozen, others that are niche-y and harder to fill.

I have to say...sometimes my fellow IT employees make me want to scream. Me? My company pays me, I do what they ask. Sure, I may bitch about the direction a job is going (will never ever ever support a system unless I'm desperate beyond imagination), so I make a change to something else that will enhance my skills. Some just bitch and moan and let their skills get stale. My last project was canned nearly 2 months ago, worked out in my favor b/c support was in my future, so would have needed to make a change anyway. Only contractors were let go, rest of us are being absorbed into other budgets, etc. The bitching is endless...my god people. STFU! You have a job, and in the end it will be better. Me? Turns out I'm going to become an Ontologist. No...not looking into strange body cavaties...but categorizing and doing other fancy things with medical data and terminology. Sounds like a yawner, eh? Well....I'm gonna be in fucking demand!!! My peers have PhDs and fancy letters. Me..a mediocre BA, lol. This is a new wave of medical IT and I'm in the forefront. WHY? Because I can freaking adapt and go with the flow and see beyond my current day at work. Some people just don't/can't/won't and see nothing but bad from change. Carpe Diem...stop the bitching and just take control. Don't let the company control you...think about what is marketable, where your field is going, what your job looks like in a year, your industry...read read read about your field. Don't be complacent.

Oh...my company is installing a $600m (although internally expected to be $1b) computer system over the next 5 years...I seem to be insulated from economic fluctations, thank goodness. Healthcare................people live longer with more expensive treatments, and we all feel every American deserves them........think about what that means to the economy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice !! What are u studying?

Getting an Associates in Radiologic Technology. It's a two year program that I've extended to three as I need to work full time to pay the mortgage and I'm also paying as I go to avoid student loan debt. It's an extremely intense program that actually crams as much school as a four year degree into two years (my case three). 75% of the time is spent right in the hospital, the rest in the classroom. The program is one of the most competitive and well respected in the state of Massachusetts. 17 students admitted each year from over 250 applicants. Even during this recession, the job placement has been 95% within 6 months of graduation.

The five year goal is to graduate and then spend a few years in the hospital expanding my knowledge into more advanced forms of medical imaging; CT, MRI, Nuclear. During that time I will network and learn the buying culture in hospitals and combine that experience with my sales background to move into medical device sales. I had actually been looking to get into device sales for a while and have had a couple of employment opportunities, but decided that getting an education in the field is the safer long term decision. With an aging population, the job skills I am developing will always be in demand in hospitals. If need be I will be able to fall back on that when recessions hit and there are budget freezes on capital purchases at hospitals resulting in layoffs by the equipment manufacturers.

SkiFanE

Getting an Associates in Radiologic Technology. It's a two year program that I've extended to three as I need to work full time to pay the mortgage and I'm also paying as I go to avoid student loan debt. It's an extremely intense program that actually crams as much school as a four year degree into two years (my case three). 75% of the time is spent right in the hospital, the rest in the classroom. The program is one of the most competitive and well respected in the state of Massachusetts. 17 students admitted each year from over 250 applicants. Even during this recession, the job placement has been 95% within 6 months of graduation.

The five year goal is to graduate and then spend a few years in the hospital expanding my knowledge into more advanced forms of medical imaging; CT, MRI, Nuclear. During that time I will network and learn the buying culture in hospitals and combine that experience with my sales background to move into medical device sales. I had actually been looking to get into device sales for a while and have had a couple of employment opportunities, but decided that getting an education in the field is the safer long term decision. With an aging population, the job skills I am developing will always be in demand in hospitals. If need be I will be able to fall back on that when recessions hit and there are budget freezes on capital purchases at hospitals resulting in layoffs by the equipment manufacturers.

Good plan. Nothing beats actually working for a hospital as far as experience and skills. You just have to do it. My field is always looking for people, but unless you have direct clinical experience/knowlege it's real hard to get into, even if you have 10 years of other industry experience (I literally tripped into my field through a temp secretary job after college lol). You won't regret it - if you don't go in the direction you think right now, there are plenty of other paths. My sis-in-law is in medical device sales, transferred from Pharm. She says it's easiest to get into surgical type sales jobs, but her inability to handle the OR (squeamish) limited her ability to move from PHarm, but she did land one, consumables for blood banks. Also have a friend that was an US tech and moved into selling them, she also picks up occasional per diem shifts as an US tech.