• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you ride?

Do you ride a Motorcycle (On-road scooters can count)

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I probably won't. I decided a long time ago that if I ever bought a motorcycle I would probably kill myself on it. I just have way too much of a lead foot and would probably get msyelf into trouble.

At least I know that. I would enjoy riding a dirt bike, but for the most part I'm happy with my pedal mountain bike. I've become more into the more natural self driven or nature centric activities, like paragliding (flying without a motor) mountain biking (no motor) skiing (no motor) etc.

Morwax

Yup.. like skiing its great way to take your mind off all the bs life throws at you. I live in a touristy area and dont ride on the weekends.. to many texters on the road nowadays.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
Used to

even worked at New England Cycle sales in 1983. Personal bikes included BSA Lightning, BSA Cyclone (custom chopper), Kawasaki H1's and H2, KZ 750 LTD and KZ 750 with 810 Vance and Hines motor. Raced a GS1000 built to 1475cc, and road raced a GS550, sponsored. Gave it up pretty much when my son was born 18 years back, and sold my last 2 bikes when he was about 2. Wouldn't mind a sport twin, Suzuki or Ducati, but the inline fours just ain't happy sounding unless you're on the gas :smash:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm sure they're a lot of fun, but if I'm traveling over concrete at 80mph, I want steel and airbags protecting me; not jeans, a leather jacket and a helmet.

buellski

Buell XB12X Ulysses - hence the screen name - 30K miles on it so far

View attachment 5171

I'll probably be riding it less now, though, because I got my son started on a little Suzuki JR50. He likes it so much, dad gets to buy a dirt bike :cool:

Hawkshot99

I ride a Kawasaki Verseys.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/Hawkshot99/Mobile Uploads/downsized_0517121611.jpg

I love riding the bike and put on around 10k every year.

I'm sure they're a lot of fun, but if I'm traveling over concrete at 80mph, I want steel and airbags protecting me; not jeans, a leather jacket and a helmet.

I wear protective pants/jacket/boots/gloves and helmet at all times on the bike. I have slid down the road a few times and never any rash(but I wasn't doing 80mph when I went down). Every one is going to die sometime. I choose to enjoy my time here more rather than hiding from everything that is perceived as scary. That doesn't mean I ride like a idiot though.

ctenidae

Used to ride, though "ride" in the popular sense may be a misstatement. For a number of years a motorcycle was my primary source of powered transportation. That was quite some time ago.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I ride a Kawasaki Verseys.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/Hawkshot99/Mobile Uploads/downsized_0517121611.jpg

I love riding the bike and put on around 10k every year.

I wear protective pants/jacket/boots/gloves and helmet at all times on the bike. I have slid down the road a few times and never any rash(but I wasn't doing 80mph when I went down). Every one is going to die sometime. I choose to enjoy my time here more rather than hiding from everything that is perceived as scary. That doesn't mean I ride like a idiot though.

You might ride very safe, but you can't control others driving like an idiot around you.

I do realize that everyone is going to die sometime and I don't live in a bubble in fear of death. That said, there are certain high risk activities that I choose not to participate in; riding a motorcycle would be one of them. I've also dialed back my speed a bit on the slopes and ski a bit more cautious as I don't want my wife to become a widow at a young age due to risky behavior on my part.

My stance on motorcycles started as a kid. My mother lost her closest cousin in a motorcycle accident when she was in college. He was driving safely down the road at about 50 mph and a car coming in the opposite direction turned left right in front of him. I lost one of my own cousins when I was ten to a wreck. He had just retired from the military after 20 years of service. The entire family had a big party planned for him. The day prior to the party, he took a joy ride and also got taken out by a car. The party turned into a memorial. My mom made me promise to never get into riding motorcycles after that. I've held that promise ever since.

Hawkshot99

You might ride very safe, but you can't control others driving like an idiot around you.

I do realize that everyone is going to die sometime and I don't live in a bubble in fear of death. That said, there are certain high risk activities that I choose not to participate in; riding a motorcycle would be one of them. I've also dialed back my speed a bit on the slopes and ski a bit more cautious as I don't want my wife to become a widow at a young age due to risky behavior on my part.

My stance on motorcycles started as a kid. My mother lost her closest cousin in a motorcycle accident when she was in college. He was driving safely down the road at about 50 mph and a car coming in the opposite direction turned left right in front of him. I lost one of my own cousins when I was ten to a wreck. He had just retired from the military after 20 years of service. The entire family had a big party planned for him. The day prior to the party, he took a joy ride and also got taken out by a car. The party turned into a memorial. My mom made me promise to never get into riding motorcycles after that. I've held that promise ever since.

Understandable. I am single. Maybe I will change my feelings once I have others depending on me, I have no idea. My father rode his entire life even after kids, its all a choice.

I watched my best friend get taken out by a left turner in front of me. He is now in a wheelchair for life, but he still wants to get back on something, maybe a trike or something he can control in the future. Some people have certain things in their life that they just find to important to give up.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I would definitely be more interested in off road dirt biking vs. road bikes. Slower speeds (although still fairly quick) and no cars to hit, although I guess you have trees to worry about.

bvibert

Staff member
I probably won't. I decided a long time ago that if I ever bought a motorcycle I would probably kill myself on it. I just have way too much of a lead foot and would probably get msyelf into trouble.

This is pretty much how I feel. I would love to have one, but I fear I lack the self-control to be relatively safe.

dmc

My EMT friends dont call them "Donor Cycles" for nothing...

Cornhead

Currently riding a Buell S1 Lightning, picked it up from a guy I met at a ski resort bar. It isn't what I'd go looking for, but a sport bike that sounds like it belongs in front of a biker bar is pretty cool. No top end, but plenty of grunt down low. You can't leave the thing idling unattended, it tends to wander away on it's own. My son bought a Yamaha FZ6 last year, makes me nervous as hell to have him ride, paybacks are a bitch. It's a crap shoot every time you throw your leg over the saddle, people have no respect for cyclist. I feel if you ride long enough, your number will come up. I had a ten year hiatus from riding, I told my Dad maybe my number was during this time, I hope so. They are a ton of fun however.

vdk03

I grew up riding dirt bikes much to the dismay of my mom (a nurse) and once I had moved into my own house I purchased my first road bike a fj600. I also owned a shadow 1100 for a while but sold it. Ive always found dirt biking much more fun. I also think anyone that buys a motorcycle before having a dirt bike for a few years is a lunatic. The roads are no place to learn how to ride in my opinion. I just recently purchased my new bike and have been loving it. The trails out here in CO are pretty sweet.
uploadfromtaptalk1339527110334.jpg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339527175547.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339527175547.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

buellski

Buell XB12X Ulysses - hence the screen name - 30K miles on it so far

View attachment 5171

I'll probably be riding it less now, though, because I got my son started on a little Suzuki JR50. He likes it so much, dad gets to buy a dirt bike :cool:

Got my new-to-me 2004 XR250R woohoo.gif

xr-800x600.jpg

My son and I did our first trail ride this weekend. My son did great! I'm happy to report there were no tears or injuries the entire ride. Just lots of laughs and high fives during breaks. Me, not so much. No injuries, but I've got a new clutch lever on the way :oops: