• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Rear View Mirror Technology

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I remember a while back there was a thread here...and someone made a post saying that the only reason people have blind spots when they drive is because they don't know how to align their mirrors.... Myself and a few others called him out on this in that thread...and here's some proof:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...es-blind-spots-without-warping-224850376.html

comparisonhicks.jpg

Geoff

I remember a while back there was a thread here...and someone made a post saying that the only reason people have blind spots when they drive is because they don't know how to align their mirrors....

People have blind spots because they don't drive fast enough. I don't need no freakin' mirrors.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This sounds so obvious to me. My wife's car has a "split" mirror, there is a small blind spot mirror at the top angled differently. Mine has a line on the left that just bends out.

Seems dumb not to allow curved or otherwise changed mirrors in the US. All you need to know is: is there another vehicle in the way?

darent

I think I took part in that disscuson, and I still contend that if you adjust your mirrors correctly you eliminate the blindspot. when the car leaves your mirror it should be seen next to you.. now I will admit that some cars mirrors are horrible, I just rented a new impala and those mirrors were small and I had trouble getting used to them.the bottom right hand photo of the mirror shows how not to adjust the mirror, you shouldn't see the side of your car in your mirror

ctenidae

You can eliminate or reduce blindspots by turning your head and being aware of your surroundings as well. You know, paying attention because you are, in fact, piloting a ton or more of steel around at high speeds.

gmcunni

my old saab had nice passenger side view mirror with the "bend" at the end so you could see the blindspot. still always checked over my shoulder but it was nice to have the wider field of vision

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
my old saab had nice passenger side view mirror with the "bend" at the end so you could see the blindspot. still always checked over my shoulder but it was nice to have the wider field of vision

Exactly, I've got a Saab as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

darent

You can eliminate or reduce blindspots by turning your head and being aware of your surroundings as well. You know, paying attention because you are, in fact, piloting a ton or more of steel around at high speeds.

well said!! I am always surprised by how many people you see driving with their head up their arse. like the guy at the car wash today, couldn't even drive in straight,almost hit the side of the building. he wasn't a old ,blind dude either.

bigbog

An improved side mirror would be great. The little stick-ons seem to be the only things I see in the local VIP stores up here, and they just reduce the object size to that of a blackfly. A pain cuz many of the older on-ramps around Bangor are kinda short as my 12yo 3.3L with 31" tires needs a little more take-off distance to morph into traffic.