• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ボストンのMatsuzaka 氏へようこそ。 (Welcome to Boston, Mr. Matsuzaka)

ChileMass

Ah to wear rose colored glasses! You vilify the Yanks rotation as being old, yet your list has 1 proven starter on it...Schilling at 40 years young. How did he do last season?

Be honest - which starting rotation would you rather have? All of the Yankee pitchers best days are waaaaay in the past. The Sox rotation has huge future upside. At some point you have to commit to the future. Good luck.

JimG.

Staff member
Be honest - which starting rotation would you rather have? All of the Yankee pitchers best days are waaaaay in the past. The Sox rotation has huge future upside. At some point you have to commit to the future. Good luck.

You mean huge POTENTIAL future upside. BTW, you forgot to add Wakefield to your rotation...he's about 40 also and still one of the Sox better pitchers.

For today, I don't even have to think about it twice.

Yanks all the way!

But you knew that, didn't you?

ChileMass

You mean huge POTENTIAL future upside. BTW, you forgot to add Wakefield to your rotation...he's about 40 also and still one of the Sox better pitchers.

For today, I don't even have to think about it twice.

Yanks all the way!

But you knew that, didn't you?

Lester will be in the rotation and Wakefield will be in the bullpen.

Potential and upside are the same thing. In 1996, the Yanks went for the "potential future upside" with a bunch of young players and dumped a bunch of aging veterans who weren't getting the job done. How did that work out for the Yanks, Jim?

JimG.

Staff member
Lester will be in the rotation and Wakefield will be in the bullpen.

Potential and upside are the same thing. In 1996, the Yanks went for the "potential future upside" with a bunch of young players and dumped a bunch of aging veterans who weren't getting the job done. How did that work out for the Yanks, Jim?

Whoa horsey, calm down.

No doubt the Yanks caught lightening in a bottle in 1996.

That doesn't mean the Sox automatically have nothing but superstars on their hands today.

Let's play the games this summer and see what happens.

ChileMass

Whoa horsey, calm down.

No doubt the Yanks caught lightening in a bottle in 1996.

That doesn't mean the Sox automatically have nothing but superstars on their hands today.

Let's play the games this summer and see what happens.

Hey - don't get me wrong - I am not saying any of the above in a hostile way. Showalter, Cashman and - <<gulp >> - George did a fantastic job in 1996 identifying a bunch of young talent that carried the Yanks for years. My point is that the Sox management seems to have done a similarly terrific job of assembling the parts of a potentially great young team. A lot of young teams have recently gone a long, long way in October (Tigers, Marlins, etc.) And I agree - we need to play the games out and see if the Yanks experience overcomes the Sox youth in 2007.

But I'll still take our mostly unproven, young, upside-rich starting staff..........;)

JimG.

Staff member
Showalter, Cashman and - <<gulp >> - George did a fantastic job in 1996 identifying a bunch of young talent that carried the Yanks for years.

Actually, Bob Watson was the architect of the 1996 team that won the first World Series for them since 1978. He was unceremoniously run out of town at the end of that season by King George. Cashman took over from that point.

Mike P.

I remember Pettite in NY, what I don't remember is how he pitched, I mean was he a thrower like Clemens or more of a finese guy like Mussina, or in between. If in between, is the offspeed stuff as effective if the fastball is a little slower. (The opposite of Beckett last year, a Change up at 91 MPH isn't going to fool people who can't catch up with a 95 MPH fastball, it's just a slower fastball they can - & did - hit)

NY will still spend 40- 50M more. True, we can't complain though.

Detroit may have enough this year if Sheffield can hit still & I think he can. Pitchers are still young except for Rogers & back end of the pen is full.

Sox have options, Wake can do bullpen duty (for knuckleballers he's still young at 40, no strain on arm like guys who throw heat. Latest rumor is the closer from Pittsburgh which they would have to trade for. One thought is Youkolis & then sign A. Huff to play first, he is a free agent with more power than Youk, with Free Agency in a couple of years you can sign Youk up again if he continues to develop. Not likely a 40 HR & 120 RBI guy anyway so even in the free agent market unlikey he would get more than 10-12 M if he continues to improve. (today's $)

montvm

Closer? last i knew we still had the best closer to ever play the game

Sorry Rob just realize that you were trying to get Roger back to the Yanks, (Still the evil empire). I thought that you were talking about the sox's supposed offer to Clemens. Yes you guys still have the best closer in the game, :puke: , now that papelbon won't be closing. :-o ..... Don't count having Roger with the Yanks just because Andy P. is signed. I think ending his carreer where he started would be more important to him, and important to the Red Sox owners, (not Theo though).