I-86 thru NY

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-86 thru NY

I-86 thru NY

My wife and I are planning our annual sojourn to Ohio from Central NH. We usually cross VT on Rte 4 and make our way to Rte 90 through NY which is a great road but the tolls are a bit much so we're thinking of using I-86 instead. I see right away it'll take an extra hour but any thoughts or advise on this route?

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Route 17 in Orange County NY is suppose to be Route * soon you can go 65mph on it

I see that heading west after Binghamton Rte 17 and 86 are one and the same but I don't think I come anywhere close to Orange County. Thanks for the input anyway, Scotty.

Route 17, aka 86, used to be a nightmare between Binghamton and NYC. I can remember leaving for a trip on my motorcycle to visit my Sis in NYC, I almost turned around, kathunk, kathunk, kathunk, on every expansion joint. Now, it is pretty nice, they have paved over the concrete with asphalt, the road is smooth, and it is quite scenic through the Catskills. I haven't been past Elmira but once, I took my Son to Cedar Point about five years ago. There was much construction out that way then in preparation to making it an interstate, no at grade crossings allowed. It is in much better shape than 88, the route I take for most of my trips to the Adirondacks and New England. I say, go for it.

If he's coming from NH, he's going to pick up 17 (I86) in Binghamton (after taking 88 down from Albany) and won't do that section between Binghamton and NYC (where there are still a couple of at grade crossings left). From Binghamton west, it's all highway and is smooth sailing (although kind of a boring road - the southern tier isn't great in terms of scenery . . . Not that I90 is that great either).

It's definitely the route I would take if I were driving to Ohio . . . Particularly if you've never done it before.

Definitely looking forward to the change of pace on this trip. Thanks for the input Cornhead and mattchuck. If anyone know of places to stay (we aren't all night drivers and like to stop for the evening) please let me know. We usually stop around Dunkirk on the way out and Syracuse on the way back to give you an idea. Thanks again.

their some great places a little off but in same town as Plattekill nice motels in Roxbury NY if your with your wife she love it I bet http://www.andeshotel.com/ and http://www.plattekill.com/lodginghttp://www.margaretvilleinn.com/ -that is the one hotel I was trying to think of eariler, at to go to that area might cost you some extra time but it is cool part of NY state that many people do not get to see.
    Last edited by ScottySkis; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Well - at least I know where Plattekill is now. Nice looking bike trails. Have you tried any of these?

[QUOTE=Abubob;717127]Well - at least I know where Plattekill is now. Nice looking bike trails. Have you tried any of these?[/QUOTE I have not yet got get into shape first but I know more people who Mountain bike ride at Platty then that ski or snowboard there, I here they have some of the best mountain bike trails in the east, does make for some nice use in winter time too.http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...ki-resort.html
    Last edited by ScottySkis; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

where in ohio I 90 is good if you are heading for northern ohio. I grew up in southern ohio and I take I 80 across PA . my starting point is cape cod.I 86 wanders. I bet I 87 to I 84 to port jarvis,209 to I 80 would be better. I don't like I 90, to much construction, tolls and is no faster from where i start. also if you are in a car you can cut down the Taconic PKWY to I 84 when you cut through vermont
    Last edited by darent; Jun 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM.

Thread Information