• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can't get used to new format

ScottySkis

Nick enjoy your new baby,i'm sure he has a great dad and mom, when you have some time of relaxation in like 18 years then maybe fix some of these things, but yes I agree with others, I post less because my phone takes much longer now to see what it used to like half the time and it seems to kill my battery life quickly.

SkiDork

yes new baby first. Where are the pics of how the forum used to look? It would be nice to compare.

playoutside

Please ditch the damn pictures. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of nearly naked shots of women on a ski site. I've collapsed that section, but it flashes by and that could create all sorts of trouble at work.

speden

The new format is kind of visually jarring and busy. I think it's those big colorful envelope icons next to the thread subjects that bother me the most. Is there a way to make those smaller or turn them off? They are really distracting when trying to read the thread titles.

I also wish the "New Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" buttons weren't so far away from the reading panes. It would be nicer if the ad banner were above those instead of below them.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Please ditch the damn pictures. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of nearly naked shots of women on a ski site. I've collapsed that section, but it flashes by and that could create all sorts of trouble at work.

That's a very good point

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think it's those big colorful envelope icons next to the thread subjects that bother me the most.
Yup. I already made note of these. And the go to the newest post and go to last post icons are too small.

I don't see the pictures. I think my ad blocker removes them. But I can see that causing all sorts of problems for folks at work and being a general annoyance any ways.

bvibert

Staff member
And the go to the newest post and go to last post icons are too small.

Agreed.

Along similar lines - At the top of a thread with unread posts in it is a link to jump to the first unread post, called "View First Unread". The problem is that, at least in the theme I'm using, the link text is almost the same color as the header in which it's contained. If I wasn't looking for it I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess I'm not all that picky. Maybe if I were using a mobile version I'd have some complaints, but once I got used to where the "new posts" button is, I've been good to go. Where pictures are, the icons and all that jazz don't really matter to me. Browsing speed seems to be the same, which is what I care most about.

gmcunni

while i like (am used to) the summer/winter profile i just switched to FLuid Blue and find it "easier" to read. not sure if it is fonts or contrast of colors but feels easier to me.

o3jeff

I don't understand what is so different, I went to the bottom of the page like someone suggested and set it to "Summer Retro" and it is pretty much the same other than a couple of things in different places.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Newpylong, any specifics?

Keep in mind this is temporary. I have a full blown redesign in the works that will be unveiled soon :) which is going to be much easier on the eyes. A prerequisite of that redesign was upgrading to VB4.

I will always keep the Summer Retro and Winter Retro templates out there in case they are still wanted.

JimG.

Staff member
I guess I'm not all that picky. Maybe if I were using a mobile version I'd have some complaints, but once I got used to where the "new posts" button is, I've been good to go. Where pictures are, the icons and all that jazz don't really matter to me. Browsing speed seems to be the same, which is what I care most about.

Agreed...I haven't noticed any problems or issues after I got used to the relatively minor changes, and it seems faster now, to me anyway.

SkiDork

I think the difficult part _still_ for me to get used to is those BIG icons next to each post. I know it was different in the older version just can't remember how. I still can't get past it, and like Newpylong have been visiting and posting less. You can say what you want about how its stupid, minor changes etc. But its my reality FWIW.