• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can't get used to new format

Newpylong

Is there a way to increase the font size of the forums with adjusting browser zoom or global test size settings? I think that's the first thing that comes to mind (text too small).

speden

I think the difficult part _still_ for me to get used to is those BIG icons next to each post. I know it was different in the older version just can't remember how. I still can't get past it, and like Newpylong have been visiting and posting less. You can say what you want about how its stupid, minor changes etc. But its my reality FWIW.

Those really bother me too. It's like trying to see an airplane flying close to the sun. You need to block out the sun with your hand or you can't see anything. I find if I cover those huge colorful cartoon envelope icons with a piece of paper, my eyes can relax. Then if I uncover them, instant eyestrain.

I don't think it's something you can really get used to. It's just the way the hardware of the human eye works, and it will try to focus on two incompatible things at the same time (i.e. the fuzzy big icons and the post subject text which are at different focusing distances). The post processing software of the brain can't fully filter that out so you end up with that uncomfortable eyestrain feeling.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I will work on removing or minimizing the icons guys, just haven't gotten to it yet. Sorry! I agree they are an eyesore.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think the difficult part _still_ for me to get used to is those BIG icons next to each post. I know it was different in the older version just can't remember how. I still can't get past it, and like Newpylong have been visiting and posting less. You can say what you want about how its stupid, minor changes etc. But its my reality FWIW.

Do you mean on the individual forums where it shows the threads?

What do you guys think of this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=271540

This will show a smaller cropped version of the avatar of the person starting the thread instead of an icon.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I *think* I found a way to make it smaller but I can't really tell if it applied. Does it look any better? They should be half (used to be 48x48 now 24x24)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nevermind. It just made the container smaller but the images are still 48x48. I think I need to upload a new icon set for this to work. Will see what i can do.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Having had to deal with style issues with a new template before, I don't envy Nick's job right now. :lol: CSS is fun until you break something live and need a fix ASAP.

drjeff

Like it! Change, even though often a bit scary at first since it takes us away from our "comfort zone" is often good!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Why is the background image a mirror image of Sugarloaf?

I obviously wasn't paying attention when building out the site and realized the image is a mirror.

Sugarloaf was the first one to alert me on it :blink:.

I am going to have to fix that but it will probably take a couple days. Whoops.........

bvibert

Staff member
I obviously wasn't paying attention when building out the site and realized the image is a mirror.

Sugarloaf was the first one to alert me on it :blink:.

I am going to have to fix that but it will probably take a couple days. Whoops.........

I like it mirrored. It adds an air of mystery... ;-)