• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can't get used to new format

SkiDork

I know, change is inevitable. Just have to voice my personal experience, I just don't like the look and feel of the new format, whichever color or font it is.

The result? I'm viewing and posting less. Much less viewing.

Too bad we don't have a choice to restore the old format.

Jeff

bvibert

Staff member
I know, change is inevitable. Just have to voice my personal experience, I just don't like the look and feel of the new format, whichever color or font it is.

The result? I'm viewing and posting less. Much less viewing.

Too bad we don't have a choice to restore the old format.

Jeff

I'm curious what you don't like about it?

With the Winter Retro theme I think it's pretty similar to the way it was. There can't really be a choice to go back to the old format because this is a newer version of the forum software. It's like getting a new version of Windows; you can do things to make it look similar to the previous version, but it'll never be quite the same... Eventually you adapt...

If there's something specific you don't like it may be possible to tweak it, but we can never go back.

SkiDork

Prolly too much trouble to tweak it, I guess its just the icons. Funny thing is I can't remember exactly how it used to look, all I can remember is it was different and my brain can't wrap itself around the new display. I guess its just gonna take time, ala "And with your spirit"

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Prolly too much trouble to tweak it, I guess its just the icons. Funny thing is I can't remember exactly how it used to look, all I can remember is it was different and my brain can't wrap itself around the new display. I guess its just gonna take time, ala "And with your spirit"

Thanks for the feedback skidork... keep updated as I have a new design coming this week. I have some screenshots of how it looked before as well and I will try to adjust it some more. The retro themes are supposed to match as closely as possible how the site looked before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gmcunni

i have to side with skidork here. perhaps it is just the "all change is bad" mentality but i do find it harder to view the site. something about the font selection or perhaps the font size, it find it just harder to read, kind of like nothing stands out and everything is just jumbled together.

i think the pics at top also contribute to it.

once i'm in a thread it is OK but the main page listing the sub forrums and even the listing (when viewing NEW) just seems worse.

on a different note - bugs the shit out of me that the "new posts" button (which is almost all i use for navigation) seems to move based on what screen you are on.

Warp Daddy

We'll adapt but maybe my bigger problem is this change coupled with getting used to my new IPad which is ok but meh as far as comparison to my laptop.It is no doubt me OMG did I say that:spin:

bvibert

Staff member
You can collapse the Featured Photos section, but unfortunately it loads pictures first and then collapses the section once the page is done loading.

o3jeff

You can collapse the Featured Photos section, but unfortunately it loads pictures first and then collapses the section once the page is done loading.

Thanks again Bvibert. I really need to take a class on how to use a forum I guess.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

I can remove it too I was kinda seeing how it played out... not sure I'f I'm a fan of the pics either

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

deadheadskier

Staff member
maybe it wouldn't be as bad if they were randomized.

at the very least G, you should upload some photos from your Kate Upton collection so they are prominently displayed at the top of the screen until the formatting issues are corrected.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Nix the pix. Keep a link to the latest pic thread or something across the top.

The mobile theme needs a new post link directly on every page. And make it so it loses the gear forum like you did on the new main page. It's really annoying to have to go to the menu and then hit what's new every time in the mobile site (and you still have the get the gear stuff!).

Oh, and do all that before you hang out with that beautifuL new baby of yours. Get your priorities straight man!! :).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I definitely will drop the gear posts, I just need to update the style. Hoping to have some time tomorrow! Just got back home from the hospital. Just finished a nice diaper change also haha.