• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bourbon

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
This is, by far and away, the best bourbon I have ever had:

7429923688_1bb8f8969a.jpg

The name is Hirsch. I was at a really fun party and cut the top off the label. Lol.

But it is sweet like sugar and has an incredible bouquet. Apparently quite rare and very pricey. But, IMHO, the best I have ever had.

kickstand

28 years? Wow. I may have to look for this as a birthday treat or something. Oldest I think I've had is the Elijah Craig 18. That was insanely smooth. I can only imagine what this must be like.

ctenidae

Hirsch makes some quality products. Overall a great label. Haven't seen or had the 28 year. Oldest I've ever had is the Pappy Van Winkle 23.

Personally, I love the level of forward thinking that goes into having a 28 year old bourbon available. Just think, in 1984 someone at Hirsch said "Hey, I bet bourbon's going to get real popular in around 30 years. Maybe we should lay up a bunch of barrels and sit on them for a while."

Scotch doesn't have that same cachet. I mean, the Scotch distillers have been around for hundreds of years, so they've had time to lose a barrel or two in the back of the warehouse.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm glad you guys finally picked up on this thread!!

That Hirsch was incredible. I got to enjoy 2 nice shots of it. And, I literally had my nose in the shotglass the rest of the night. It just smelled so amazing. Apparently, I was told that something happens to bourbon at about 22-23 years old, hence Pappy's oldest is their 23, I think. But, the Hirsch made the 28. It's quite pricey...and I believe they stopped making it 1988...which means it won't be around forever. I may have to invest in a bottle myself while I still can. It was that good.

MR. evil

I am a beer guy so please forgive my stupid question. What is the difference between Bourbon and Scotch, they are both types of whiskey right?

kickstand

I am a beer guy so please forgive my stupid question. What is the difference between Bourbon and Scotch, they are both types of whiskey right?

High-level and by definition, Scotch whiskey is made in Scotland and Bourbon whiskey is made in the USA. There are regulation for each to determine what can be called Scotch or bourbon, but to me those are the simplest classifications. By taste, I find Scotch (single-malts, anyway...) to be much more smokey. A good bourbon I think is smoother than a good Scotch. There's something about the smokiness of the Scotch I have trouble with.

There are also blends and other sorts of whiskeys (Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, etc.), but I will let you take to Google or Wiki for that...

Mpdsnowman

I will say this, when it comes to scotch this is the ticket...its an expensive ticket of over 200 bucks but well worth it. A friend of my son turned 21 last week. Of course the party was at my house when I was at camp lol....

johnny-blue-2.jpg

They left me about a thrid of the bottle....One shot is all I took and needed lol...

ctenidae

All Bourbons are whiskeys, but not all whiskeys are bourbons.

Scotch: Made from rye, always at least somewhat smokey from te peat used to dry the rye.
Irish Whisky: Mostly rye, not smokey. Lighter in flavor and body than Scotch. Some of the "iodine-y" character of Scotch
Bourbon: At least 51% corn, technically and originally only made in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Not so much now. Must be 51%+ corn, though, the rest barley. Aged at least 3 years. Known for sweet, vanilla, and tobacco flavors
Canadian Whiskey: Always blended, mostly corn. Generally very sweet.
American Whiskey: There are too many variations to list. Tennessee Whiskey is almost always sour mash, Ryes are mostly rye, wheated or all wheat use wheat instead of barley, most of the Northeast stuff is scotchy, Colorado and Texas make some tasty rotgut firewater.
Japanese Whiskey: Like a cheap knockoff of scotch, usually

How's that for a primer?

soposkier

Not sure if this bourbon but Dewars is very smooth and cheap.

Dewars is blended Scotch. I personally have "acquired" a preference for single malt over bourbon. Something about the smokiness peaty flavor I love. Havent had any super old/expensive ones, but to date my favorite would probably be Laphroig 10. For bourbon I just picked up some Wild Turkey Rye and must say I will be adding rye whiskey into my rotation for sure. Usually also have a bottle on Bulleit in stock as well.

ctenidae

. For bourbon I just picked up some Wild Turkey Rye and must say I will be adding rye whiskey into my rotation for sure. Usually also have a bottle on Bulleit in stock as well.

Bulleit makes a nice rye as awell. Michter's is realy good (both rye and bourbon), Temptation Rye (and it's sister Redemption Bourbon) is good, too.
You should look at the wheated whiskey's, too, if you like the variation rye gives. Bernheim makes an all-wheat one that's exceptionally good.