AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Steve Wright of Jay Peak

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Steve Wright of Jay Peak

Hey Everyone! We are bringing back the AlpineZone Challenge for the season. Our first participant for 2012/2013 is Steve Wright, VP of Marketing, Sales and Hospitality at Jay Peak, and a long time participant in the AZ Challenge.

There has been a lot of talk on the forums about Jay Peak, including discussion with regard to the purchase of Burke, so it makes good sense for Jay Peak to be at the top of the list!

For newer members, the AlpineZone Challenge is your chance to offer up questions, suggestions or praise to the people who run the mountains and ski resorts in the northeast.

We will pick ten of the questions asked here and submit them for review and response, and post them in the Challenge area when complete!

As before, a few caveats: we may edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or similar. Questions may be merged if they are similar. If we don't get to all the questions, we will encourage followup from the representatives directly on the site, but we can't guarantee that.

Please be respectful as well to those answering questions - please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. as these may be confidential to the mountain. General questions are OK about growth, etc. (year over year, percentage changes, and so forth)

Jay Peak Profile

2011 AZ Challenge Results

2006 AZ Challenge Results

2005 AZ Challenge Results
    2004 AZ Challenge Results
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Jay has been really forthcoming with information about their growth and development so coming up with questions is a bit difficult this year.
    With that said:
    1. How is Jay's marketing going to overlap with Burke's? Are you (Steve), now the head of a combined marketing team?

2. Are there any plans for a Hockey/Golf or a Hockey/Ski race tournament at the ice arena this year?

3. Why in the world would the planners of new trails at Jay ever consider cutting a trail around Timbuktu?
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post

3. Why in the world would the planners of new trails at Jay ever consider cutting a trail around Timbuktu?
    This above has got to be on the list. Let me put this into perspective: At the Home-owner meeting 2 months ago, Steve presented some of the new marketing material for the upcoming season. One TV add features skiers hitchhiking on the side of the road, skis on the shoulder, on 242 on Jay side (a clear dip run, and not big Jay). It is beyond me why they would on one hand, blatantly market this 'out of bound' skiing area', while on the other hand planning to slaughter it with this stupid run.

I asked Walter Elander (responsible for mountain development): Why ??? Why ??? and his answer was: we need more intermediate terrain, and you will still be able to ski to the dip from that run.... Wrong answer... especially the second part... If they want to cater more to the newbies and intermediate skiers fine. But they should have the decency of not pretending that Jay's out-of-bound spirit still lives. The orchard is a special area beloved by all Jay Peak regulars I know. I see no good coming out of this. Lots of pissed season pass holder. This trail will effectively destroy most of Jay Peak true out of bound terrain (not counting Big Jay that sees minimal traffic). What's next ? Levelling pumphouse chute to make it more appealing to intermediate skiers ?

Just thinking about putting a run there tells me that the mountain developers do not get it. Not the least bit. There are tons of boring mountains out there. This run will make Jay Peak a little bit more like the others: boring.

Francois

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom-tele View Post
    1.We are teaching our child to ski at Burke. In the past sunday afternoons have been at a discounted rate. Will the same ticketing be available? It has been a relief to not have to pay over a hundred dollars to go skiing as a family for a few hours with a child under 5, hoping this policy survives the transition.

thank you
    On that note, Jay has run Vermonter rates for locals and folks from nearby counties in New York. Will Jay continue to run these discount day tickets, in light of the expansion work?

With the increase in development at Jay, and more folks, does Jay limit ski ticket sales? If it doesn't, is that something that will be considered in the future? (This might have been asked already...)
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Can Jay Peak utilize some of it's EB-5 Visa investment monies into Burke or would that require a separate application?

Here's a couple more:

1- update on the west bowl development - IS 'trail cutting in summer 2013 and lifts in summer 2014' still the plan ? I would suggest that tree cutting in the west bowl glades be done as quickly as possible. This could become an incredible back country area to those willing to earn their turns while awaiting lifts.

2- there were plans on mountain biking trails at the base of Stateside. Has this changes with the acquisition of Burke Mountain ?

I'll put the same question I asked Sugarloaf last year.

I love your mountain, any plans to move it closer to where I live? Or at the very least, where my family lives?

Planning on shutting this thread down soon, get those questions in!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Planning on shutting this thread down soon, get those questions in!
    Uhh, Nick, can you be more specific: when is "soon?" Could be today at midnight or sometime in the next six months for all we know.

I'm particularly interested in the answers to NEK and fbrissettes' queries. I'll add the age-old (now) question: what is the current timeline for the construction of the Bonnie six-pack and the quadrification of the Jet?
    Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this:
    The Real Jay Peak Snow Report

When j feel we get enough questions, then I will send them along to Steve

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information