• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tough Mudder style events

drjeff

I know that Waloaf has done a warrior dash.

As for the popularity, at the 2 weekends that Mount Snow hosted Tough Mudder this year, they had a total of over 30,000 participants! Factor in some spectators also showing up (as lots did) and one can easily see how major an economic boost to a ski area and the surrounding community that a mud race event can be these days!

As for Tough Mudder and New England events for 2013. On their schedule right now they tentatively have a "Boston area" event listed for May and a return to Mount Snow for July. But then again at this time last year, Mount Snow was listed as just going to have 1 event in 2012 in August, so those dates are subject to change

drjeff

Think they must've had to use a LOT of water to create the mud this year.....but there are remote areas where one can find it.

Just an excuse to "blow the mice" out of the snowmaking system a bit earlier than usual! :lol: And from having run a couple of Tough Mudders now, its doesn't take too long for a air/water or fan gun spraying out 50-100 gallons per minute to turn some hardpack dirt into a gooey mud bog!!! That's the exact reason why I try and sign up on the day that registration opens so that I can get a starting spot in the 1st available group - the course is still plenty tough, but some of the areas that get "watered" by the snowmaking system are less gooey than they get for later starters and far less gooey than the folks participating on the 2nd day of a full weekend event experience

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Ski Sundown is hosting the Fugitive Mud Run this Saturday:
http://www.fugitivemudrun.com/

The Fugitive Run is a 3 mile escape run where you’ll try to climb, jump, run, and crawl your way to freedom. Angry guards will hunt you down, inmates may try to help you or lead you astray, route choices along the way may lead to capture or the free world. You’ll never know what is around the next turn. Get captured and wind up in the hole.

More details:
https://www.fugitivemudrun.com/escape-from-hartford-ct-07-28-12/

bigbog

.......That's the exact reason why I try and sign up on the day that registration opens so that I can get a starting spot in the 1st available group - the course is still plenty tough, but some of the areas that get "watered" by the snowmaking system are less gooey than they get for later starters and far less gooey than the folks participating on the 2nd day of a full weekend event experience

Gotcha Dr....yeah, well it is a little all-in-fun for guys and rippin' women to test one's fitness in places that humans don't do too well in.. It is fun... A little bit like how many of us like to find/explore/get-into the REALLY hard-to-get-to places...through peat-much with some bushwacking, just to grab a vista, see some wildlife, or just to put a canoe in and paddle around(LOL) = pretty extreme..LOL..gotta love it.

Severine....will be interesting just to see the entry-count on that one...LOL.

Last edited:

MR. evil

Ski Sundown is hosting the Fugitive Mud Run this Saturday:
http://www.fugitivemudrun.com/
The Fugitive Run is a 3 mile escape run where you’ll try to climb, jump, run, and crawl your way to freedom. Angry guards will hunt you down, inmates may try to help you or lead you astray, route choices along the way may lead to capture or the free world. You’ll never know what is around the next turn. Get captured and wind up in the hole.

More details:
https://www.fugitivemudrun.com/escape-from-hartford-ct-07-28-12/

Is it an honor system where if a "guard" touches me I have to play along and go to the hole? Or do they physically restrain you and take me away kicking and screaming while I fight back. If its the latter I may sign up.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Is it an honor system where if a "guard" touches me I have to play along and go to the hole? Or do they physically restrain you and take me away kicking and screaming while I fight back. If its the latter I may sign up.
I don't know how they're running it, just know that the Big Guy will be there parking cars.

broken857

Gotcha Dr....yeah, well it is a little all-in-fun for guys and rippin' women to test one's fitness in places that humans don't do too well in.. It is fun... A little bit like how many of us like to find/explore

skiNEwhere

When I was in the Marines I ran the Marine Corps Race Series. The mud run was kind of like the tough mudder, but shorter, same concept, run through an obstacle course and a lot of mud. The Mountain Warface Training Challenge was a bit tougher, it was a 10k race that started at 6,000ft and went all the ways up to 9,000ft elevation, and back down, and you have to crawl through a culvert and climb a 10 foot wall too.

gottabelight

abovetreeline

Great event. Instant camaraderie with everyone participating. I highly recommend doing a tough mudder!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
A friend of mine is participating in "Muckfest" in Boston (location TBD) ... I'm considering signing up :)

Should I bring a pole mounted gopro?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
:lol:

Tough Mudder is the harder one. Thinking of doing one of the shorter ones with my wife in the summer, Warrior Dash is only like 3 1/2 miles.

A friend of mine asked if I wanted to do this MuckFest (apparently for Multiple Sclerosis) this April. I might do that to. That one is 5 miles, also should be fine. I regularly run 5 - 6 miles.