• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Snowmaking Upgrades for 2012/13

Masskier

This with the improvements that Andy Holmes made in the late 90's along with all of the improvements made to snow making in the 2005-2007 will give Burke a 1st class snow making system. They now will have the infrastructure, pumps, compressors, water and over 300 high efficient snow guns

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am sorry I just saw it on facebook Mr trailboss, I removed it.

No worries. I just dropped in the link to the QBurke press release.

You didn't see that during the initial purchase discussion? Ari Quiros (Bill Stenger's partner) is the primary investor in the mountain which is where the "Q" came from.

I know that is where the Q comes from, but (1) Burke has changed its logo, tagline, and other intellectual property WAY too many times in the last few years, and (2) it sounds so cheesy and reminds me of QVC.

In my life time, Burke has been:

1. Burke: The Sweet Spot (1990-1992 or so)
2. Burke Mountain: Vermont's Northern Star
3. Burke Mountain/Bear Kingdom, Limited (1992-1995)
4. Northern Star/Burke Mountain (1995-1997)
5. Burke: Simply. Better. (1997-2000) (and was owned by Northern Star).
6. Burke: the Bear is Back (2000-2005)
7. Burke (mountain logo) owned by Ginn LaBurski (2005-2011)
8. Burke: True North (2011-current)

Stick with the damn bear.

jaytrem

I could be wrong, but isn't QBurke the name of the company that now owns Burke, not the actual mountain? Are you guys complaining because you think they changed the name of the ski area? Or do you not even approve of the company name? That seems a bit silly. But yeah, is they change the name of the actual ski area I could understand the complaints.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I could be wrong, but isn't QBurke the name of the company that now owns Burke, not the actual mountain? Are you guys complaining because you think they changed the name of the ski area? Or do you not even approve of the company name? That seems a bit silly. But yeah, is they change the name of the actual ski area I could understand the complaints.

Exactly, that is why I'm not complaining about it. It is not like "QBurke" is going to be used in their marketing materials. Oh, wait.... The pdf press release keeps refering to Burke Mountain as "QBurke Mountain Resort" :roll:. Hopefully that isn't a trend that continues.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
On another note the snowmaking plan sounds like an improvement on the existing snowmaking and not really an expansion to new trails. I wonder if there will be any new trails covered? Maybe the "snow" that is made on Ledges next year won't actually be glacial ice?

thetrailboss

Staff member

It's the latter because it looks like they are going to put out the name QBurke.

Why not Burque? :lol:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm not complaining, just think it sounds wierd. Until Smellytele said it, I hadn't made the connection, but that was exactly what was in the back of my mind, Qbert

1181242154219.jpg

farlep99

I say let's have Apple buy Magic & we'll call it iMagic. It sounds better than QBurke! And I'm pretty sure Apple could make it snow in SoVT. I don't mean snowmaking, I mean actual snow from the sky. They can figure that out!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I say let's have Apple buy Magic & we'll call it iMagic. It sounds better than QBurke! And I'm pretty sure Apple could make it snow in SoVT. I don't mean snowmaking, I mean actual snow from the sky. They can figure that out!
They actually already have the patent and are just waiting for someone else to try it so Apple can sue them.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Not to get sidetracked, but IIRC wasn't Magic recently in trouble for using unauthorized references to Harry Potter with some of their newer trail names?