Stowe's new Super PoleCat Fan Snow Guns - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    They are also a heeluva bit more obtrusive and in your face.....and I do not necessarily mean snow, when I say this. I am sure that they add more snow which helps the skiing conditions, but don't you think that these big behemoths adorning the sides of ski trails take away from the views, vista and karma of the ski run? How do we balance both?

Stan
    That's a good point, although I don't think they are as obtrusive as a ski lift.

They do look like they are shorter than trees. About 18 or 20' in height maybe?

Definitely more obtrusive though than a simple small black pipe running up the hill.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I could give a crap about views if I'm skiing down the trail and get deafened and glazed over like a donut from an old school snow gun that is marginally less of an eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    They are also a heeluva bit more obtrusive and in your face.....and I do not necessarily mean snow, when I say this. I am sure that they add more snow which helps the skiing conditions, but don't you think that these big behemoths adorning the sides of ski trails take away from the views, vista and karma of the ski run? How do we balance both?

Stan
    Eh. Most places where a fan gun is going in were probably already lined with fixed towers, and are generally already going to be a wide trail with lots of infrastructure around.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I could give a crap about views if I'm skiing down the trail and get deafened and glazed over like a donut from an old school snow gun that is marginally less of an eyesore.
    Good point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Eh. Most places where a fan gun is going in were probably already lined with fixed towers, and are generally already going to be a wide trail with lots of infrastructure around.
    All of which, are the types of trails that I try to avoid.

Stan

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Hunter in NY Catskills started the fan guns in the 1980s and they can make some great soft snow, when temp is low enough. http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/m...ow-making.aspx

I've never really noticed them from a view persepective...but that's just me. I can see how fixed poles could be viewed as in the way to some.

"I like homemade food. I just do."

Thread Information