• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/16-17 Storm Discussion Thread

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
got like 1/2"-1" here in gray, maine as of 8:30 pm - still haven't decided where to go, will probably at 11pm report or 1st thing in the morning- possibly heading more south/VT border as that seems to be the spot.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Greg said:
You can probably make it to Jiminy from Torrington in 75 - 90 minutes (good weather). Best route is 8 North to 20 West (through Lee and Lenox) to 7 North (through Pittsfield). Tonight must be a pretty hairy drive though, especially on 8 N in Southern Mass. That area always seems to get a lot of snow. Sundown tomorrow is probably a better bet, but I haven't seen you on tonight so maybe you braved it? :eek:

We learned that shortcut on our way home from Vermont last week. :)
I didn't brave it last night, though. With visibility being so poor and the length of the drive that I would have had to make to ski, I decided to wait it out. I will, however, go to Sundown tonight. With any luck, there will still be some decent snow left by Friday so I can squeeze in another trip to Catamount. Last I saw weather-wise, it will be back in the mid 40s this weekend. :(

skijay

I have 22" of fresh snow at my house. Well maybe not quite. It's more like 2 inches. It was hyped up to much in my area. At tleast areas in the Catskills, Berkshires and Southern VT got snow.

ChileMass

The "big" storm pooped out right after I posted my note from last night - we wound up with maybe 5" here in east/central Mass.....

Greg

Staff member
Yup. 4" or 5" at best for us. Anyone agree that they've been shooting way too high on most of the snowfall forecasts this year? It always gets "downgraded" once it starts falling. :roll:

Oh well. Any snow is good snow.

jimme

Yeah, it's the snow-jinx. When the Weatherman says there will be a lot of snow, it is usually less. I liked that last storm when it was predicted to be 1 - 3" and Jiminy got at least 8".

This morning I measured 6" to 8" at various spots around my house. About 10mi East of Albany, NY.

Tonight I'll bring the ruler to Jiminy and measure what they really got. Their email snow report this morning claims 10". !!

Jimme

tree_skier

we got about a foot at Mount Snow. The skiing was fantastic, everything was open. The trails were pretty much skied out by 11:00 but freshies could still be found in the trees all day.

:D :D :D