• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/16-17 Storm Discussion Thread

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
The article headline on Fosters.com says it all:

Fosters.com said:
Knock. Knock. Who's there? Snow. Snow who? Snow you thought winter was over.

HEAVY SNOW IS ON THE WAY FOR MUCH OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AND SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL MAINE TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

SNOW WILL LIKELY DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND EXTREME SOUTHWEST MAINE LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL SPREAD NORTH AND EAST REACHING THE MAINE MOUNTAINS AROUND MIDNIGHT.

SNOW WILL BECOME HEAVY ACROSS THE WARNING AREA TONIGHT AND THEN TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP OVER NORTH CAROLINA TODAY AND INTENSIFY AS IT MOVES NORTHEAST. THE LOW WILL PASS SOUTH OF CAPE COD EARLY WEDNESDAY.

IF THE LOW TRACKS A LITTLE CLOSER TO CAPE COD THE HEAVY SNOW AREA WILL REACH THE MOUNTAINS.

SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR EARLY TONIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY
OVERNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL TAPER TO SNOW SHOWERS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

EXPECT TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS TO RANGE BETWEEN 8 TO 12 INCHES.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
They're already announcing early school dismissals here--even though the snow isn't even expected in this area until 2/3PM!
I won't complain...hopefully they're right and class tonight will be canceled. Then I can squeeze in at least one more time skiing this season! I'm crossing my fingers and thinking snow!! :D

Greg

Staff member
Snow has just started in CT...

jimme

If anyone has some good comebacks for the snide remarks all the people with "Spring Fever" will be vomiting my way I'd love to hear them. I am so sick of "Winter Haters" crabbing about the snow and the cold I wish they'd all move to the Equator section of the planet.

The knock-knock joke is good, my kids will groan when I tell them. :beer:

Jimme

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Well well,

Now that the 1115 models have come out, it looks like we will not get as much as expected. I would say 12 inches for sunapee region is still possible, however, the jackpot will be portsmouth nh with 16. However, away from that region is not good. Not as much as anticipated unless the storm changes with out the models noticing.

porter

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
jimme said:
If anyone has some good comebacks for the snide remarks all the people with "Spring Fever" will be vomiting my way I'd love to hear them. I am so sick of "Winter Haters" crabbing about the snow and the cold I wish they'd all move to the Equator section of the planet.

Tell me about it! I'm so sick of my coworkers complaining about the snow--we've had barely any this season! Besides, it's only the middle of March. I'm not ready to give them spring yet...

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
i can't stand winter haters either!! I'm sooo ready to ski tomorrow - it's been too long! the weather reports keep getting better and better...

who's up for somewhere in NH tomorrow?

Greg

Staff member
skiguide said:
who's up for somewhere in NH tomorrow?
Post something here. Berkshire East is probably too far, eh?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm bumming now! All this snow that's predicted, and my college class tonight was canceled, but none of the local ski areas are open! :( I have a night free to ski, fresh snow falling, and nothing to do with it... How depressing.

Greg

Staff member
severine said:
I'm bumming now! All this snow that's predicted, and my college class tonight was canceled, but none of the local ski areas are open! :( I have a night free to ski, fresh snow falling, and nothing to do with it... How depressing.

:blink: Jiminy has night-skiing and is open today/tonight. Not sure where you are in Litchfield County, but Jiminy is only 1:45 from me (Watertown)...

R

RJ

Ski Sundown should still be open. I have to wait until Friday to drive up to NH for some skiing on Saturday. Hopefully there will be a storm on Friday as well.

Greg

Staff member
Sundown hasn't updated their report since yesterday so I'm guessing they're closed today. Perhaps they'll open tonight, or more likely tomorrow.

jimme

Check out these snowfall totals for the Albany, NY area.
http://www.wrgb.com/wx/historical_data/snowfall/snowfall.asp?Selection=top_10_snowstorms

These are "just" Top 10 but you can see there are dates that indicate a general pattern. i.e. in March, 5 of the top ten included the 13th of the month. Last year Jiminy Peak had 4 - 6" on the 13th.

The first 10 days of April look good for snow too! Now, if only that 46" March 1888 storm would repeat itself!

Rank / Total Storm Amount / Date / Year
March
1 46.7" 11-14 1888
2 26.6" 13-14 1993
3 18.8" 13-14 1984
4 17.8" 8-12 1941
5 17.1" 4-6 2001
6 16.3" 9-13 1939
7 15.9" 16-17 1956
8 14.8" 3-5 1971
tie 14.8" 13-16 1916
10 14.6" 31 1997

April
Top 10 April Snowstorms
Rank / Total Storm Amount / Date / Year
1 17.7" 6-7 1982
2 13.3" 9 2000
3 13.0" 1-2 1924
4 11.3" 8-10 1974
5 11.0" 3 1891
6 8.8" 19 1983
7 8.4" 8-11 1907
8 7.6" 9-10 1979
9 7.2" 3-4 1955
10 6.9" 13-14 1950
tie 6.9" 10-11 1942

Jimme

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sundown was closed yesterday and are closed again today. They're planning on reopening tomorrow. Mohawk (my other mainstay) is on a weekends-only schedule now. I haven't figured out if Catamount is still open nights or not (they're only open nights during peak season, but they don't state when that ends/has ended), but they're not open Tues nights even in peak season anyway.
I'm not too sure about Jiminy Peak. I live in Torrington, but at the earliest, I wouldn't be able to start heading out until 5:15 or so... I've never been to Jiminy, but it probably would be 1.5-1.75 hours for me to get there judging by where it is on the map. That would mean 3-3.5 hours of driving to ski only 2-3 hours. I haven't decided if it's worth it... I could always wait until tomorrow and then I'd only have to drive 20 min to Sundown. Hmmmm...
Either way, I'm still happy about the snow! I just wish so many places didn't close down...

Greg

Staff member
severine said:
I've never been to Jiminy, but it probably would be 1.5-1.75 hours for me to get there judging by where it is on the map. That would mean 3-3.5 hours of driving to ski only 2-3 hours. I haven't decided if it's worth it...
You can probably make it to Jiminy from Torrington in 75 - 90 minutes (good weather). Best route is 8 North to 20 West (through Lee and Lenox) to 7 North (through Pittsfield). Tonight must be a pretty hairy drive though, especially on 8 N in Southern Mass. That area always seems to get a lot of snow. Sundown tomorrow is probably a better bet, but I haven't seen you on tonight so maybe you braved it? :eek:

By the way, only very light snow in Watertown, CT right now. About 2-3" so far...