• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Coolest Backpacking Stove I've ever seen. Technology Junkies, take a look

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wonder how long it lasts or if you need to be constantly scrounging for tinder. Also no mention of piezoelectric or other starter so I assume it lights with matches or a lighter once the tinder is in the canister.

The concept is pretty friggen cool though.

bigbog

Think you essentially light the shavings/wood chippings/twigs with one's whatever...match, lighter...has been around since mid-1990s. Haven't checked burn-time(& ease of use) vs regular fire..... Definitely an advantage with wet conditions..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Saw a review on this in Backpacker magazine on Facebook yesterday.

Overview:

Backyard testing: Our gear editor has been burning every stick in site to test the new Biolite woodburning stove, which converts the flame's heat to energy to recharge electronics. In this case (see photo), 1 hour and 10 minutes of burning resulted in raising the battery indicator 1 bar on her Camelbak All Clear water treatment device. So far we've tested it with an iPhone (37 minutes of burn time netted a 13% increase), a Snow Lizard battery pack (didn't work), a Petzl Nau headlamp (didn't work) and a Motorola Droid Razor (didn't work). Our testing continues...stay tuned for the full scoop.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I wonder how long it lasts or if you need to be constantly scrounging for tinder. Also no mention of piezoelectric or other starter so I assume it lights with matches or a lighter once the tinder is in the canister.

The concept is pretty friggen cool though.

There's a FAQ page and video that covers this: http://biolitestove.com/faq/instructions/