• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wheels down on Mars

PomfretPlunge

Here's a picture of the lander coming down on its parachute. This was taken by one of the orbiters that has been circling there for several years:

http://news.discovery.com/space/big-pic-curiosity-msl-parachute-spotted-hirise-120806.html

And here's a movie that shows what Curiosity saw as it descended. The pictures were taken by a camera pointing down from the bottom of the rover. One of the first things you see is the heat shield dropping away, and then the Red Planet getting closer and closer.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=18895&media_id=149974611

bvibert

Staff member
The fact that we have the pictures and video at all, let alone so quickly is pretty amazing to me.

Warp Daddy

I suggest we colonize it now ! let's send the Kardashians, JLo ,Seacrest, All the reality show bozos and of course CONGRESS . Such a deal lets do it , oh I forgot how bout all the insane right wing ,Left wing extremists including their talking heads .:smash:

bvibert

Staff member
I suggest we colonize it now ! let's send the Kardashians, JLo ,Seacrest, All the reality show bozos and of course CONGRESS . Such a deal lets do it , oh I forgot how bout all the insane right wing ,Left wing extremists including their talking heads .:smash:

It would probably be quicker and easier to list the people that we want to stay behind on Earth.