• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak - 50th Anniversary, New Trail & More

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-...elebrates-50-years-with-capital-improvements/

Lots of good stuff going on there. I didn't make it last year but hope to this year.

-New arrival area
-Bringing back the air bag
-New trail (sounds like a blue trail, name TBD)
-More snowmaking and rental equipment
-Lodge upgrades (sounds like it may be just a new carpet)
-Backup generator (I guess this helps if you get stuck on a lift?)

Sounds like a few nice improvements. I'll try to get them on the Challenge this year again so we can discuss the improvements.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I visited in March they had started the excavation for the new welcoming area. It looks like it will be a really nice face lift for the place without detracting from the old school feel that people love about the lodges at Pats.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I want to try it but I'm starting to become a little wussier than I was before. Even landing on a big bag of air.

Maybe I'd still try it. I think I'd need to see it in person first.

xwhaler

In the article they also mention developing the 'backside' of the mountain along with a lift back there. Not sure what kind of topography is back there but if its a more consistent pitch from summitt to base of lift I think that would be a great thing for Pats.
Pats can be a lot of fun for all ability levels but the run out after the initial pitch can get annoying.
Certainly with Crotched getting the HSQ and developing additional trails, Pats prob feels some pressure to 'expand' as well.

bobbutts

Looks like the backup generator is:
has been installed to service the base area.

so probably things like lights in and around the lodge

I believe each lift is required to have a backup power source already, so presumably this wouldn't ever be for powering lifts.

I'd like to find out more about future expansion too..

Smellytele

In the article they also mention developing the 'backside' of the mountain along with a lift back there. Not sure what kind of topography is back there but if its a more consistent pitch from summitt to base of lift I think that would be a great thing for Pats.
Pats can be a lot of fun for all ability levels but the run out after the initial pitch can get annoying.
Certainly with Crotched getting the HSQ and developing additional trails, Pats prob feels some pressure to 'expand' as well.

The actual new "backside" of which you speak will be more green trails. It will be on the east-southeast side off the Breeze side of the hill. They have had in the works for awhile.

bobbutts

Found this from Concord Monitor 2010:

After recently acquiring 90 acres from a private owner, the resort now owns 319 acres, and about 80 of those are used for trails. Blomback said the plan right now is to use 20 acres to add some more difficult skiing trails for advanced young skiers.
"Our niche is teaching the little guys how to ski," Blomback said. "That's really our forte."
While the shorter, easier trails for young skiers are fine, the resort has never had adequate offerings for more advanced beginners. Over the next decade, it wants to add four longer, more difficult trails and a lift to accompany them.

I have no idea what to actually make of this. What are "advanced beginners" and when they say "more difficult" I wonder they mean blue?

Found this local permit from Oct 2011
five new trails encompassing 20 acres and a 1,800 foot long ski lift.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting on the terrain expansion. Interesting that it sounds like more advanced terrain as well. No doubt that the Crotched expansion is pushing them as well. Pats is great.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Blue Cruising terrain is definitely Pat's one weakness, so if this expansion can provide that, it would be a really good thing for them. I imagine they lose a bit of business to Crotched because of their superior cruising terrain. Pat's has them beat with expert terrain, access and IMO overall Vibe, but Crotched wins in the cruising terrain and park environment. They're probably pretty even in regards to novice terrain.