• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NYC High Line hike

legalskier

P1000248.jpgP1000257.jpg

The High Line grew out of an abandoned elevated train line in Manhattan's lower west side, extending from the West Village area near the Hudson River north for 1.5 miles through Chelsea to 30th Street. A community group lobbied to turn the decrepit old structure that was facing demolition into an aerial garden.
My family took me there on Fathers Day-- it completely exceeded my expectations. I took many pics but I've been having difficulty loading more than the 2 above using this new format. (Any advice re: how to upload more?) Pics and descriptions don't do it justice, though. The High Line has distinct sections such as a forest, flower gardens, climbing vines and grasslands. It goes through several buildings, has an outdoor pub, food and ice cream vendors, sitting/lounging ares, musicians, and even a (barely) wet area for little kids to stomp their feet in. It includes several entry staircases and an elevator. It's helped to regentrify the area too. And it's free.
I highly recommend it for a relaxing yet fascinating "hike" in lower Manhattan. Afterwards you can head over to the lightship "Frying Pan" by Chelsea Piers to quench your thirst with a cold drink, or just enjoy the many street level cafes along the High Line.

225px-West_side_line.png

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)
http://fryingpan.com/

Last edited:

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
High Line is an awesome feature in NYC! Was there last April and got to walk up and down the line. What a great way to see the city and a nice way to utilize the old RR line. Combining the tracks with the gardens is a nice touch. One of my favorite parts is the inverted grandstand looking down on an intersection.

octopus

that looks really cool. i see you can go thru an old bell labs building, too. pretty amazing what the phone co invented back in the day.