• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indoor Ski Rack

4aprice

Just put up a new wall in my basement and I want to build a nice sturdy ski rack for 8 pairs of ski and poles and maybe an area to store ski boots underneath. While not an exceptional carpenter I can read and would love to try my hand at constructing one if I could find a good set of plans. Anybody know of any I could get my hands on. Thanx in advance.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I haven't installed them yet, but I have two of the Talic wall mounts. Each holds a pair of skis and poles and mounts to a wall. Still need to figure out where to mount them. Of course, that is more expensive but also less time and frustration than building your own.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Steve, get what you're saying but personally I get a bit of satisfaction out of doing it myself plus you have the flexibility to build to your needs.

kickstand

I built my own, but haven't hung it up yet. It was pretty easy. It holds 3 sets of skis. I used a 4' 2x4 and 2 different dowels - can't recall the sizes, but call it 5/8" and 1/4". The 5/8" dowels are for the skis. How much you leave sticking out of the 2x4 depend on how fat your skis are. I think I left about 5".

You'd have to adjust the measurements based on your 2x4, but I drilled pairs of holes about a foot apart, and maybe 1/2" between the pairs. Centered between the pairs and slightly below, one more holes for the 1/4" dowels (for the poles).

It ends up looking similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodform-Ski-Rack/dp/B001KMWZFA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_5

Don't need much in the way of tools - a drill with 2 different bits for the dowel holes, a chop saw to cut the dowels, glue and sandpaper.