Lance Armstrong folds

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Lance Armstrong folds

He ends his fight against doping charges.

*** His decision means he will almost certainly be stripped of his seven Tour titles, the bronze medal he won at the 2000 Olympics and all other titles, awards and money he won from August 1998 on.
    It also means he will be barred for life from competing, coaching or having any official role with any Olympic sport or other sport that follows the World Anti-Doping Code. ***

Full story:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/sp...ce-titles.html

Talk about crashing and burning.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Wow, I didn't think I'd ever see that..
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Wow, I didn't think I'd ever see that..
    I didn't either. It doesn't appear he admitted anything, though (at least not literally). But for all intensive purposes, I can't imagine a guy like LA giving up the defense of seven TdF titles because he was tired of fighting a falsehood. Not that he had to fight anything, I am sure his lawyer's were taking care of everything at this point.

It is too bad there wasn't a way he could have came out and admitted it but still kept his titles. This retro active stripping of titles for riders of that era is bogus. They were all doped to the gills at the top level. Going back and awarding jerseys to second-seventh place finishers that were also doping but just were not caught is just dumb. I'd like to see some of these riders pass on the jersey... but I doubt we'll see that. It seems most folks being open about the issue only do so after being caught and vilified.

Armstrong really was the best of the best of his time. I can understand him thinking he didn't "cheat" because he beat pretty much everyone on a level playing field. You either doped or you got dropped.

That said, it is good to see things are better today.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

The French have been scheming for years to get rid of Lance. It galls them that he dominated their stupid little bike race for years.

I don't blame him for giving up...who cares if he doped up in a sport known for doping? And do any of these French idiots care that he had to come back from almost certain death from testicular cancer that had spread to his brain and lungs? The guy was as good as dead and his doctors admitted as much. It's a true miracle he survived leave alone came back to dominate his sport.

I'm getting a little sick of sports in general, especially after Skip Bayless accused Derek Jeter of doping the other day.

I agree that they probably all doped and frankly whenever $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are the motivation and the driver for most all professional athletics regardless of the sport one can safely assume that heretofore illegal substances are at play and are WELL masked by those scheming to attain fame , fortune and notoriety.

The so called " Purity". Of Professional athletics has long been a myth. --and to that end I add Division One at the so called collegiate level . D I for the most part is a HUGE business and the NCAA is a compromised gatekeeper at best

So Armstong has made his $$$$$$$$ and frankly at this point the medal and jerseys etc are MOOT

color me cynical but pro sports are never going to be anything but a money and the ethics involved are at best SITUATIONAL
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Daddy View Post
    So Armstong has made his $$$$$$$$ and frankly at this point the medal and jerseys etc are MOOT

Agreed, if I were him, I'd do the same, who needs the constant headache of defending yourself.

Its always about the money? How about these athletes?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ol...sEnabled=false

Deifying anyone is absurd. Being inspired though...

I always found it interesting that the main timeframe that LA was accused of doping was before the rise of Alberto Contador, and in all the samples from LA that they've tested, they've never ever been able to find a VERIFIABLE positive result whereas with Contador they nabbed him. Considering that both LA and Contador were the stars of big budget teams, one could presume that they both if they so chose to do had access to some of the best medical physiology and pharmacology minds on earth, and Contadaor couldn't pass the same tests that if LA had doped that his samples did?? So if LA doped (and personally I don't think that he did), the "older" doping techniques were superior and held up to the scrutiny of both the older and newer screening technologies?? Doesn't make sense to me

I think that if as much time, money and research that has gone into trying to come up with a verifiable result that LA doped went into say Cancer Research that we'd of had a cure for ALL types of Cancer now!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19,24,26 (Mount Snow)
    December: 2,3,10 (Mount Snow) 9 (Stratton)

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I'd like to see some of these riders pass on the jersey... but I doubt we'll see that. It seems most folks being open about the issue only do so after being caught and vilified.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    The guy was as good as dead and his doctors admitted as much. It's a true miracle he survived leave alone came back to dominate his sport.
    I'm getting a little sick of sports in general, especially after Skip Bayless accused Derek Jeter of doping the other day.
    word

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Daddy View Post
    color me cynical but pro sports are never going to be anything but a money and the ethics involved are at best SITUATIONAL
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I think that if as much time, money and research that has gone into trying to come up with a verifiable result that LA doped went into say Cancer Research that we'd of had a cure for ALL types of Cancer now!

Items for Sale
    The biggest potential losers are the researchers and non-profits who were getting help from his LIVESTRONG charity. With all of this hoopla, less folks will give money to it or pull money from it.

Agree with Jim. The whole thing is stupid and everyone lost here.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information