Sony releases GoPro competitor

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony releases GoPro competitor

http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-f...te-with-gopro/

Goggles_Mount1_AS15-1200_med.jpg

Looks pretty sweet, and the price is about right. I love my GoPro but I do feel like the design is kind of ugly. I'm also dissapointed in their lack of a release of a usable Android / iPhone app for controlling it, like they said they would with the WiFi Bacpac
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thats a great item for the contests here!
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

It's pretty expensive at 2 bones. Maybe I might dig ONE up .... if I can find it on sale.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's pretty expensive at 2 bones. Maybe I might dig ONE up .... if I can find it on sale.
    Contact their marketing dept. Tell them what an awesome forum you run and how a give-away would really be great marking for them, blah, blah, blah ... and get them to give you one to give away.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

i am hopeful this will cause the GoPro Hero prices to drop.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

looks too bulky to be used effectively on an elastic goggle strap

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    looks too bulky to be used effectively on an elastic goggle strap
    I agree although it is lighter than the gopro and contour. I have to figure out if I can engineer a sidemount before I get one. I do not like a 'top of the head' mount.

it will be interesting to see what type of mounts become available. i've liked the chest mount view from gopro skiers, not sure how well that would work with a camera this style.

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    it will be interesting to see what type of mounts become available. i've liked the chest mount view from gopro skiers, not sure how well that would work with a camera this style.
    Mounts are definitely an issue with the sony. It's either top of the head or the ski-goggles side mount. It has a standard tripod adaptor but that's of little use for skiing. If you want a chest mount, gopro is the way to go. IT has the best form factor for that. For helmet mounting, Gopro also has the mounts with the highest degree of freedom (any orientation) at the expense of having the camera further away from the head (you feel the inertia, and it will catch obstacles (lift, branches) quite easily. Sony and contour have a much lower profile but this also creates problems (have no experience with the sony yet, but is similar to the contour): positioning the fixed mounts is tricky since you have little camera adjustment afterward - contour has a rotating mount and rotating lens to alleviate this problem but the Sony mounts have nothing. There is no way to have a side-mounting fixed mount for the Sony, and strap-mount definitely shakes more than a fixed mount (tested with the contour) although the Sony is lighter and has image stabilization so this could be less of a problem.

An additional issue with the lower profile of the contour (and Sony) is that although having the camera close to your head is good (low inertia, will not hit things) you may end up having part of your helmet on the image. To me, mounting the sony on top of your head defeats the purpose of its lower profile. You can mount the contour sideways and rotate its lens, but that is not possible with the Sony.

It all boils down to image quality. Right now, Gopro 2 is ahead of everyone (likely ahead of the new contour 2 that still uses the same hardware as the model it replaces - the additional post-processing tweaks might help but I doubt it will be enough to bring it to the gopro 2 level). But on paper, the Sony has all it needs to be the top of the class. It's low light performance could be the clincher for me as both e the gopro and contour are not really good late in the day, especially in the glades on cloudy days (they both suck pretty bad under these conditions).

If the Sony image quality lives-up to it's hype, I will definitely get it. I'll buy replacement contour T-rails (4.99$ on contour's website), and glue the rails onto the side of the Sony's waterproof case. I'll then be able to use Contour mounts for side mounting.

noticed the "new" sony on overstock.com. i've had good luck on overstock in the past for items that were past their prime, odd to see a new sony model there.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...8/product.html

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Thread Information