Paragliding - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paragliding

Paragliding is awesome. I tried getting into this back in the 90's but living in Boston it was really tough to get to the training hill. The only outfit back then was just north of Burlinton VT. I took a couple of lessons and short flights but never got certified.
    The sport does have its share of dangers once you get more advanced and start catching thermals - partial wing collapses, downdrafts, etc.
    At this point, I'd love to get some place where they have a big launch and take a tandem ride with a trained pilot on a "safe" day.

Live for today

Nick, don't let this happen: (looks like the aforementioned partial wing collapse?)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=75a_1347632311

Quote Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
    Nick, don't let this happen: (looks like the aforementioned partial wing collapse?)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=75a_1347632311
    Scary. Looked like he was doing some sort of partial loop and twisted his lines up. Lucky he was over water but man I would hate to try to stay afloat with all that gear on.

I didn't get out last weekend, was too sick with a fever and all that jazz. Hope to get out very soon though!

Here is a pretty cool video, and as I understand it the subtitles are accurate

Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Here is a pretty cool video, and as I understand it the subtitles are accurate
    Holy cow! I need to stop watching paragliding accident videos. They aren't making me want to go, haha!

Nick do you wear a secondary chute when you go up?

Items for Sale
    Now see..a secondary chute would put a lot of willies to rest for me...
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Now see..a secondary chute would put a lot of willies to rest for me...
    I agree. I'm big on back up plans and redundancy equipment.

After seeing the video with the bird strike I'm thinking full protective face mask =)

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    Holy cow! I need to stop watching paragliding accident videos. They aren't making me want to go, haha!

Nick do you wear a secondary chute when you go up?
    I do have a reserve chute. It's actually being repacked by the guys at Morningside for me now. I would do it myself but I want it to, you know, OPEN if it were ever necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I do have a reserve chute. It's actually being repacked by the guys at Morningside for me now. I would do it myself but I want it to, you know, OPEN if it were ever necessary.
    I assume this is standard practice?

You don't feel safer packing your own chute? I had always though that for sky diving at least most people preferred to pack their own so the KNEW it was safe.

I'm excited to try a newbie flight!

Yeah, it's standard practice to carry a reserve chute for high flights. The reserves are a little different than those on a skydiving rig, you have to throw them manually and they can take a bit to open. Also, they often are open in conjunction with the main chute off to the side. I think you need at least a couple hundred feet for it to open.

Thread Information