• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paragliding

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
IDeally I'd like to get a motor at some point. This gives you more flexibility to fly wherever and whenever (assuming weather / etc. are OK)

Kind of a cool clip in CO

Huck_It_Baby

IDeally I'd like to get a motor at some point. This gives you more flexibility to fly wherever and whenever (assuming weather / etc. are OK)

Kind of a cool clip in CO

Now that is cool! right up my alley! Cruising around tree top level seems like a ton of fun.

I would imagine if something goes wrong at high altitude a reserve may not be enough to bring all the weight down safely.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Now that is cool! right up my alley! Cruising around tree top level seems like a ton of fun.

I would imagine if something goes wrong at high altitude a reserve may not be enough to bring all the weight down safely.

They are all based on weight. The motors add about 50 lb, I think, to the glider. When I buy my next glider, I am going to get on ethat is big enough that I can add a motor on later .

The cool thing about the motor IMO is that I can go down to the local soccer field and just buzz off assuming the wind is OK. With a paraglider you can stay aloft for a while (I've flown as long as 3 hours) but you are stuck where the lift is. I've mostly done mountain soaring where the wind is coming up a hill and basically the air moving up the hill is faster than the glide ratio of the paraglider, thus, Soaring!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Went today, got of the 250' launch, still waiting on the 450 :/ I did take some video and will post later but the camera was aimed too low .. damnit!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Here is just a raw cut of the video from the 250'. The camera was down, that last bit i was pretty much coasting down the entire hill about 5' off the deck.

Huck_It_Baby

Nice! I wanna try SO bad!

I don't think the hill near me is actively giving lessons or taking flights. I have been to the top a couple times and the slope doesn't look maintained. Things seem a bit over grown making the take off very narrow. Nothing like what I see in your video.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This hill is definitely a beginner hill, it's super wide and pretty shallow pitch for easy running, and they mow it regularly. It's perfect for learning.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nice! I wanna try SO bad!

I don't think the hill near me is actively giving lessons or taking flights. I have been to the top a couple times and the slope doesn't look maintained. Things seem a bit over grown making the take off very narrow. Nothing like what I see in your video.

What is the hill near you?

skiNEwhere

Since I live in Utah now I've have much more paragliding opportunities. I've been flying both a full sized PG and one about half the size (mini wing/speedwing) and have got a few ski launched flights in as well.

I'm hoping to be able to fly when I come back home this summer, judging by previous posts it looks like there's an active community up north.

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Since I live in Utah now I've have much more paragliding opportunities. I've been flying both a full sized PG and one about half the size (mini wing/speedwing) and have got a few ski launched flights in as well.

I'm hoping to be able to fly when I come back home this summer, judging by previous posts it looks like there's an active community up north.

Holy OLD thread!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Awesome .....combining it with skiing !!!

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

So how's Ooooootah so far?
Utah is pretty cool. It's like CO but more accessible, everything is just a lot closer. Wasn't a great ski season by Utah standards, but it was by CO standards which I've grown accustomed to.

Paragliding is awesome too, there's a few spots where you can even get lift served access.

Traffic and smog sucks but overall it's a win!

Sent from my SM-G955U using AlpineZone mobile app