• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 NFL Season

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pats fan here. Lots to be encouraged about regarding today's game, but the thing I was most happy to see today on the 1st Sunday of the 2012 NFL Season is that Peyton Manning is back and still has it.

NFL Football is a better game with Peyton Manning in the league and playing well. I know I missed watching him last season.

dmc

Jet fan... not sure if the Jets played well or if Buffalo sucks yesterday.. :)

I'll take it though..

JimG.

Staff member
RG3 was pretty awesome...in many ways better than Cam Newton in his first game last season.

Cornhead

Jet fan... not sure if the Jets played well or if Buffalo sucks yesterday.. :)

I'll take it though..
Jet's fan here too, Sanchez will have to play as well as he did yesterday at home or the fans will be clambering for Tebow. It'll be a circus for sure. Nice to see some life in the offense. I think their run game is still not so good. We'll see how they do against Pittsburgh next week. So happy the season has begun...also means skiing is right around the corner, yaa! My season began the weekend after Thanksgiving at Whiteface last year. I thought it was an omen for a stellar season, boy was I wrong. Oh yeah, Buffalo sucks. Don't get too excited.

speden

Nice to see the Pats rookies contribute yesterday. I wonder if they will be able to handle the long season though without getting hurt or running out of steam. It a long way to the playoffs.

It's nice to see Peyton playing again. That week 5 Denver/Pats game could be a good one.

Mpdsnowman

(As he pulls his head out from behind the embarrasment curtain)

Bills fan. Jim Kelly era season ticket holder I was...I go to at least one game a year now.

Im throwing this first game out. They will do much better if they stay injury free things just got to settle down.

ScottySkis

I like Superbowl Sunday, because the ski slopes are empty, this is pretty cool Rolling Stones 50 year together and ESPN for Monday night foot ball http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/0...ing-stones-50th-anniversary-on-monday-nights/ Their re putting out some of their tracts from the 70s with the foot ball games.
91162scr_2efd6fc5d56999f-600x338.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
So two penalties by Gronkowski in the final minute of the game and a shanked field goal by Goskowski to lose it. There's gotta be a polish joke in there somewhere.

Geoff

So two penalties by Gronkowski in the final minute of the game and a shanked field goal by Goskowski to lose it. There's gotta be a polish joke in there somewhere.

The joke is that Miami and Buffalo are both in first place. ...and that I was rooting for the Steelers.

If the Patriots had to no-show a game, they at least lost to an NFC team so it doesn't impact any tie breakers for the playoffs.

Mpdsnowman

Beer and party supplies for a Bills pregame party at the Stadium..$135.00

Tickets on the 40 yard line to watch the Bills hammer the chiefs in retribution for last weeks joke...$150.00

Coming home and turning on ESPN and watching the look on Robert Krafts face as he realizes Brady lost his first home opener due to a shank lol....yup

Priceless!!! lol

speden

Painful to watch the Patriots trip all over themselves yesterday. Apparently it is more important to punish Welker than to win football games. What a shame. With Hernandez hurt, maybe they can bring back Branch. I felt like they could have used him yesterday.

drjeff

Peyton is human.

Week 2 is done, and inspite of what some micro managing so-called football experts are saying, NOBODY has been eliminated from the playoffs yet. 15 weeks of football left until the playoffs start, and about 1,000,000,001 variables to figure out between now and then. I still say that right now, the most important thing to look at isn't the stat's sheet, but the injury report. After the first 4 weeks, then you can start getting all worked up about some stats

drjeff

Painful to watch the Patriots trip all over themselves yesterday. Apparently it is more important to punish Welker than to win football games. What a shame. With Hernandez hurt, maybe they can bring back Branch. I felt like they could have used him yesterday.

I think that every so often, Josh McDaniel gets so hell bent on trying to stick exactly to a game plan that he has devised, that he sometimes can't "call the audible" (football metaphor intended!) and realize his intended plan isn't working (and likely won't work) and not make the change. Why the Patriots waited almost all game to go no huddle/hurry up (a scheme the Brady is VERY comfortable in) was beyond me. Over the years, all too often when the get "out of synch" in an offensive scheme, that switch to the hurry up has yield results time and time again.

speden

Yeah, McDaniels seems to really want to use a two tight end offense this season. I read this morning they might sign Kellen Winslow to fill in while Hernandez is injured.

drjeff

Yeah, McDaniels seems to really want to use a two tight end offense this season. I read this morning they might sign Kellen Winslow to fill in while Hernandez is injured.

I know that their O-line is suspect right now, but I just wonder if some of it's "weakness" isn't caused by the simple fact that in their current offensive scheme where if it's not a run, the majority of their passes, usually to the tight ends, are just a quick drop and pass, where the opposing defense can often get away with sending everyone since the odds are that the ball isn't going to be thrown more than 10 yards down field. There really isn't too much to suggest that the deep ball (or atleast the 15 yard down field pass) is going to be implemented in essence to keep the linebackers, corners and safeties "honest" and not have them crowding the line as back up for the d-line when they send the big rush.

My hunch is though that in classic Belicheck-esque fashion, they'll keep making progress on this area in the coming weeks and come November and beyond, atleast be "above average" ;)

Mpdsnowman

Im certain the patsy's will come back and in all honesty they still have gronko right?? so they should be fine. Plenty of time left. The thing that got me was they got beat by the cardinals and larry fitzpatrick didnt have more than one catch.

There going to have to make some serious critical changes after this season no doubt. I can see Brady being let go as they did bledsoe.

Cornhead

The joke is that Miami and Buffalo are both in first place. ...and that I was rooting for the Steelers.

If the Patriots had to no-show a game, they at least lost to an NFC team so it doesn't impact any tie breakers for the playoffs.
Actually the Jets are in first place, 1-0 within the division. They better enjoy it, Miami, then San Fran, and the Texans, better beat Miami, I highly doubt they can beat the other two teams. At least New England has to play them too. Relax, Pats always win the AFC east.

drjeff

Actually the Jets are in first place, 1-0 within the division. They better enjoy it, Miami, then San Fran, and the Texans, better beat Miami, I highly doubt they can beat the other two teams. At least New England has to play them too. Relax, Pats always win the AFC east.

From my Patriots fan perspective, as long as they go 3-1 in the 1st 4 games, I don't worry too much (no matter how ugly they're playing). Then keep on going 3-1 for the 2nd, 3rd and final 4 quarters of the season. That's what I look for. If a team can go 3-1 during each 4 game segment of the season, that final 12-4 record is going to get them into the playoff, with a decent chance of a bye during most years, and that puts them in decent shape at for a run at another Lombardi Trophy. Such and such a player having a crappy game 1 week, that doesn't concern me as much in the big picture scheme of things

speden

I didn't mind the replacement refs during the first couple of weeks. It seemed kind of refreshing to see more aggressive pass coverage and contact.

But it seems to be spiraling out of control now. First they cost the Pats the game against the Ravens, now Green Bay gets screwed over. It seems like a joke that the NFL fines players for hurting the integrity of the game with big hits and then the NFL does far more damage to the game by trying to be cheapskates on paying the refs.