• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9-11 Remembed

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
When word of a possible hijacking came, Lt. Col. Dan Nash and Col. Tim Duffy flew at supersonic speed to Manhattan. The same minute they left, the first plane struck the towers.

DUFF:
We’re going down there. We’re accelerating to (Mach) 1.3, 1.4, so we’re doing a mile every three, four seconds. We’re kind of hauling the mail getting down there. And actually Nasty even called me up at one point and said, “Duff, you going supersonic?” And I said, “Yeah, OK.” We’re not supposed to do that, but this time I figured we were high enough, we weren’t going to blow out any windows or do any damage so, we kept the Mach up trying to get there as quick as we could.

“I said, ‘Tell me that’s a cloud.’ And he came back and said, ‘No, that’s smoke.’”–Lt. Col. Dan Nash

DUFF: It was never an order or anything like that. They said it was just one of those, “You may have to shoot down the next hijacked track, understood?” Because they even came back and said, “Do you have a problem with that?”

And I was thinking, “Well, if I have a problem with that, I’m probably the wrong person to be sitting in a single seat fighter,” you know?
So I think the frustration comes in that way, that it was a no-win kind of situation. And, you know, here we are with very capable planes, we’re trained pilots in them, and there’s nothing we can do about it. I think that kind of frustration was tough to deal with. You’re kind of going through that, because there’s nothing you could do.
http://www.wbur.org/2011/09/07/fighter-pilots

Tough day to remember, made all the more difficult by todays strikingly similiar weather. It may have taken awhile to catch up with the cowards who tried to bring us (as a nation) down, but thanks to the ongoing efforts of our men and women in uniform they have been served with a taste of there own medicine! Never forget!

God Bless America!
:flag:

dmc

581354_10151149468649483_19191792_n.jpg
Hunter NY 911 Memorial built from the steel of the WTC..
This morning - very much like that morning 11 years ago..

Joe and I set up the flags in preparation for the day.

Thanks to all that gave! Love to all that suffered...

Puck it

From Cannon Website. I should have added the flag to the new skis!!!!

7976178443_0385658b14_b.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was deeply struck by an article in the Globe this morning. It had interviewed a mother who lost her husband. She said last year was entirely awful for her. With all the coverage, she kept re-living the horror time after time. They had to keep shutting off the TV. She said they are looking forward to this year, so perhaps she will finally be allowed to grieve.

Jim Ogonowski said, "“We’ve been placed in a position where we’re grieving in public,” he said. “We’ve learned to live with it, but many of us would like the opportunity to mourn in private.”

That alone made me shut up silently grieve for the survivors.

ScottySkis

I was deeply struck by an article in the Globe this morning. It had interviewed a mother who lost her husband. She said last year was entirely awful for her. With all the coverage, she kept re-living the horror time after time. They had to keep shutting off the TV. She said they are looking forward to this year, so perhaps she will finally be allowed to grieve.

Jim Ogonowski said, "“We’ve been placed in a position where we’re grieving in public,” he said. “We’ve learned to live with it, but many of us would like the opportunity to mourn in private.”

That alone made me shut up silently grieve for the survivors.

+1000 Too many people have lost to many loved ones from that day and days going foward too, and wars ,terrorism mental depressions just horrifying to think about.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My wife lost a good friend of hers on 9/11. I met my wife only a few days after 9/11; so I never had the opportunity to meet her friend.

Her name was Lynn Goodchild, and her and her boyfriend Shawn Nassaney were traveling to Hawaii on vacation. I believe they were both 24 years old.

A memorial website I created for them several years ago:

http://www.lynngoodchild.com

I went to a memorial mass this morning for them. it's hard to believe it's been 11 years. I don't know why but I felt so personally affected that day. I was almost unable to do anything at all. I was in the air national guard at that point in time and thought for sure I was going to get called that day, it never happened - ultimately my base did participate in OIF but it was a while later. They did call certain elements of the base to action, like the MP's, but I was a fuel maintenance tech and my skills weren't necessary, I guess.

RIP to all those and may their memories live forever in those who loved them.