• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boars Head Deli is great, why non in non east states?

ScottySkis

Schaller & Weber is excellent. Big difference between their cold cuts & Boars Head garbage. I go to their store on 86th St. & 2nd Ave in the city sometimes to pick up all kinds of German goodies.

Karl Ehmer is also good but they closed the store near me that I was familiar with. I know they have other locations.

My favorite German restaurant in Queens opened up a German deli next store last year. I hear it's good but haven't tried it yet. Zum Stammtich is the name of the place.

Anyone who thinks Boars Head brand is good doesn't know what they're talking about.

I agree I just like Boars Head better then shop rite generic brand which my roommate always buys, but he has no Job now so its understandable, going to college for PhD, but our food tastes are so different.

snoseek

Ummm, you can buy your own meats and roast them for far less money than deli meat. Deli meat=lips and assholes pumped full of sodium and other shit.

ScottySkis

Ummm, you can buy your own meats and roast them for far less money than deli meat. Deli meat=lips and assholes pumped full of sodium and other shit.

I like to that, I eat way to much salt as it is, does it take many hours to do?

Geoff

I like to that, I eat way to much salt as it is, does it take many hours to do?

Roast beef is trivial. You can use a cheap cut like eye round roast (or top/bottom round). Hot oven (450 to 500). Use a meat thermometer but usually 40 to 50 minutes for a roast. Slice very thin against the grain since it's a fairly tough cut. Season it how you like. At a minimum, olive oil, salt & pepper.

Corned beef is also trivial. Just use the flavor pack in the shrink wrapped brisket and follow their directions. Again, slice against the grain.

For chicken, I just buy grocery store roast chickens, pull the meat off the bone, and slice it.

Other than things that are a PITA to do at home like prosciutto, I never buy deli meat.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I never even considered that ... good idea. Do you own a slicer? That's probably where the cost comes from.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd definitely want a slicer for homemade Roast Beef. I've had others make it, good chefs at that, and unless it's sliced paper thin (which can't be done with even the best knives and skills) it's just not the same.

Geoff

I never even considered that ... good idea. Do you own a slicer? That's probably where the cost comes from.

I have an older bottom of the line EdgeCraft Chefs Choice 610 slicer. The new 609, which is virtually identical, is $79.00 on Amazon. Caveat: You can't cut ultra thin cuts like prosciutto with the stock serrated blade.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-...F8&qid=1347808507&sr=8-1&keywords=meat+slicer

I also have a meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. When I was unemployed 4 years ago, I was buying pork loin on sale for $2.00/pound, freezing it, and grinding it for Italian Sausage burger meat. When you're trying to stretch your budget on a $425/week unemployment check, cooking your own lunch meat, grinding your own burger, and doing your own baking saves a huge amount of money. Along the way, I figured out that the quality of the stuff I made myself was way better than grocery store quality. I made summer sausage in the smoker a couple of times (Lebanese bologna) from 50/50 ground beef and pork. You need InstaCure #1 (salt & sodium nitrite) to make your own cured meats. Compared to roast beef or corned beef/pastrami, that's way more work.

snowmonster

All food is regional. In the same way that New Yorkers will complain that there are no decent delis or bagels outside of New York or New Englanders will say that clam chowder is ruined outside of New England, Southerners will complain that there is no decent barbecue in the northeast and Coloradans will tell us that there is no good Mexican food in Boston. That said, when are we getting an In-N-Out around here?

wa-loaf

Scotty, you are doing it wrong. Schaller & Weber deli meats are readily available near you and their deli products blow away Boars Head.

Oh my god, is that the same as Leberwurst? My dad had that stuff in the house all the time.

No, not Leberwurst. I'm not sure what parts are used to make it, but it's about as close to spreadable bacon you can get.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I haven't had Leberwurst in years.

Isn't there a german deli out here in mid MA somewhere? I have to go check that out .... running out of Loewensenf

snowmonster

No, not Leberwurst. I'm not sure what parts are used to make it, but it's about as close to spreadable bacon you can get.

I haven't had Leberwurst in years.

Isn't there a german deli out here in mid MA somewhere? I have to go check that out .... running out of Loewensenf
I am not of German descent as you guys but have you tried Karl's Sausage Kitchen? http://www.karlssausage.com/ Great sausages and other German specialties. Of course, it's good for me but I wonder what you guys who grew up on this stuff think of it.

darent

scotty go to a STOP AND SHOP, their deli sells Boars Head Products and they will make you any sandwich you want at a nice price!!

ScottySkis

scotty go to a STOP AND SHOP, their deli sells Boars Head Products and they will make you any sandwich you want at a nice price!!

I do shop their I just do not remember seeing one in Utah when I was there a few years ago.