Kickstarter project - documentary on small ski areas - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The brothers making the film did an interview with DJAK over @ Ski The East --> http://www.skitheeast.net/posts/id/8...s-kickstarting

Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I believe today is the last day for donations.

Hey Guys,

You've got one of the brothers here. More updates on the project can be found on the kickstarter page (link at the bottom), but I want to respond briefly to two questions brought up on the forum. The first is the small size of our budget: sure, we would love a few hundred thousand dollars, but its hard to pull in that kind of cash for a film on small ski areas. We are making this film in the same way the small ski areas operate-- a frugal budget and lots of volunteer effort. Like we say in the kickstarter, there is some gear we just need to buy, but otherwise we have a very talented team of volunteer videographers and editors. Yet, at the end of the day, we really think the story tells itself and the stunning cinematography that we are going for will be an added bonus.
    Secondly, the question of accountability. There is frightening little of it on Kickstarter and it is a good thing to question. I would like to offer more accountability than my cyber word but that doesn't exist. What I can say is that my brother and I both work in the ski industry and it is a very small world. You don't spend half a decade working with kids for next to nothing at a small ski area and then decide you want to rip those people off. We are making this purely out of love for these areas and are not include any wage for ourselves in the budget. Not sure what else to say on this note, but feel free to post any questions here and I will check back in to respond.

-Tyler Wilkinson-Ray

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...mall-ski-areas

An update from today via email:

Motivated by the response on Kickstarter, we’ve been hard at work laying the groundwork for the film. Here are some steps we’ve been taking:-Speaking with ski area owners and historians about their involvement in the project.
    -Building our team, including the addition of two experienced videographers.
    -Building a website complete with a project blog, Facebook feed, donation page, etc.
    -Working with the design firm at Select Design to develop logos and branding.
    -Communicating with ski film companies and action sport videographers about optimal gear and a strategic approach to our budget, timeline, and a business plan.
    -Speaking with film festival organizers about what it takes to produce a successful film as well as the ins and outs of marketing and distribution.

WHAT’S NEXT:
    We are writing both as an update and as an invitation to participate in the soft launch of our website (See below for link). As we stated in kickstarter, we are committed to being as frugal as possible and that means we declined the cost of a professionally designed website and built one ourselves. We think it gets the job done, but if you know a web designer, want to pay for it, or are yourself one, we welcome your support.
    Secondly, we are seeking a local marketing, social media, and public relations intern in the Vermont area. We realize the importance of marketing and promotions as we approach the film’s release next fall and just can't do it all ourselves.
    Third, once our logo and website are complete, we will be approaching business sponsors whose products and missions are in alignment with the spirit of our project. These sponsorships will go directly towards publicizing and distributing the film.

Last but not least, filming begins on Oct 27th. As you can see the project has once again grown considerably, and we have set our sights on new horizons. Follow the project on our website, be in touch, and have a great winter.
    -Elliot and Tyler Wilkinson-Ray

t-bar films : small ski areas - in production this winter.

Cochran's, Northeast Slopes, lyndon outing club and others. Check out the trailer. good, quality film-making project. Consider helping fund this effort, before another one bites the developer's backhoe. I did.

http://www.facebook.com/TBarFilms

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northe...ref=ts&fref=ts
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Wow, cant believe they're including Hard'ack, lol. They really mean it when they say they're making a small ski "area" movie.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Items for Sale
    Merged with the existing thread on the film.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Interesting in seeing how this plays out. AlpineZone donates a little bit towards it when it was on Kickstarter.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Interesting in seeing how this plays out. AlpineZone donates a little bit towards it when it was on Kickstarter.
    Very much looking forward to it, both as an LOC skier and as a contributor!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm in.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Thread Information