• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

Ol Dirty Noodle

Probably burnt piston rings or valve stem seals if it wasn’t leaking but was losing that much

Glenn

Keep us posted on what the results are. At least you can still use the car until the new engine comes in.

Edd

My 10 year old Forester with 148k miles has been problematic recently. An intermittent starting issue proved beyond my mechanic’s ability to diagnose. It spent four days at the dealership and multiple issues were addressed to the tune of $1800+.

That was a month ago. Last night it didn’t start again. Not turning over but the battery isn’t dead. Likely a starter.

This is leading to conversations about a new car but our Outback is less than two years old. I’d like to get the Forester to last a couple more years so we’re done with the Outback payments but that’s getting tough to justify. Also, the Forester still has the original head gaskets which obviously worries me.

Edit: And today the sumbitch started right up which means I have yet another intermittent problem. Last one went months before it was diagnosed.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

Edd

Aren’t subarus know for timing belt issues after 100k

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not to my knowledge. The maintenance guide says to replace at 105k, which is what I did. Newer Subarus use a chain, I think.