Subaru - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru

So far I've had a 1990 Subaru Loyale, a 1995 Legacy Wagon, and a 1998 Forester (which I still drive). The Loyale sucked but it had low and high range 4WD so it was a beast in the deep snow. The Legacy was a beautiful car and drove in an awesome manner which belies the fact that it was a wagon. Got that up past 300k miles before giving it away. The Forester is now around 220k miles and getting to the point where it's been banged up quite a bit over it's lifespan.

My next car will be a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport. But I am going to beat up the Forester for one more winter

Upcoming XV Crosstrek does look pretty cool, like a perfect ski / mountain bike car really. But I don't want to shell out for a brand new car especially when I know how long Subarus will run. Rather save a little gas money too.

Subaru BRZ looks like pure sex to me and if I had the money I'd use that as a ski car in a heartbeat. Oh nevermind I just realized it's a Subaru without AWD ??

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

Last edited by bdfreetuna; Sep 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

RWD actually, definitely not a good option for snowy driving. A cross over with Toyota. Very un-Subie but I am sure it will be a massive hit and extend Subie's presence outside of its typical northern snowy market.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    RWD actually, definitely not a good option for snowy driving. A cross over with Toyota. Very un-Subie but I am sure it will be a massive hit and extend Subie's presence outside of its typical northern snowy market.
    Being in the industry I can attest to the current sales of the Toyot-aru being dismal at best. I've driven one (the Scion version - same damn car) and it was underwhelming in daily driving, sort of joyless until you started to really rail on the thing. It has a WIDE envelope of handling ability with even marginal tires and maintains a great level of predictability and composure. Pushing luck for a ticket is fantastic - i.e. good track car but going to the store though is rather... well.... blah.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Subaru doesn't make wagons any more. They have the Impreza hatchback, a pair of sedans, and CUVs. You'll have to buy used to get an actual wagon.

you don't consider a outback as a wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by darent View Post
    you don't consider a outback as a wagon?
    Current model is a crossover.
    -Steve

+1

with the demise of the legacy wagon and ginormousing of the Outback, Subaru no longer builds a wagon.

Whats the difference between 5 door and wagon?
    Wait Till Next Year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wtcobb View Post
    I have an Impreza and it works fine with the single back seat down to put the skis through. I can only fit three, but you need to put the seat down in an Outback too...

Ideally if you're traveling with more than two you have a roof rack/box, which all Subarus are equipped to handle. Outbacks and Forresters already have the crossbars (usually) too.
    We bought a new car in August. Subaru didn't make cut for test drive. I admit I have a long time dislike for the brand. Mt bro lives in VT and has had a couple and said they rust, not just body.

AWD was a requirement, and we ended up with Mazda CX5. What ultimately won us over was the back seat i think they call it 60/80/20 folding. So you can fold down 20% for skiis and still fit 2 people in backseat. Plus its very fuel efficient, in 30s. Since we travel 400 miles skiing every weekend, it saves tons over minivan. And with split seat we can take on ski trips.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    +1

with the demise of the legacy wagon and ginormousing of the Outback, Subaru no longer builds a wagon.
    They do. They just don't sell it in the United States. You can still buy one in Japan, Australia, and Europe.
    Here's the Brit Subaru Legacy link. They don't even sell the sedan there.
    http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/legacy/

Even more annoying, in the UK, you can get it with a 2.0L turbodiesel boxer that puts out a healthy 258 foot-pounds of torque with 55 mpg highway. It's only 150 hp so 0-60 won't exactly snap your neck back but it will do fine climbing hills and accelerating up on-ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Even more annoying, in the UK, you can get it with a 2.0L turbodiesel boxer that puts out a healthy 258 foot-pounds of torque with 55 mpg highway. It's only 150 hp so 0-60 won't exactly snap your neck back but it will do fine climbing hills and accelerating up on-ramps.
    Is that UK MPG? Their imperial MPG is higher than our MPG measurements. Assuming that is imperial MPG, that would be still be 45.6 US MPG, better than a VW TDI.

Why Subaru doesn't see fit to bring that over here I don't know. WV sells WAY more TDIs than gas Wagens in the USA.
    -Steve

Thread Information