Subaru - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru

Good point. Is an SUV chassis same as a wagon? I don't think so.

We always had boats like that. Fam with 6 kids 2 dogs and occasional cousin or friend trucking it to lake every weekend. We had a trailer to cart all the junk. Thank god for bench seats and 'back back' and no silly seatbelt laws lol

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDork View Post
    I think its nitpicking to say they aren't wagons... When I was a kid a station wagon was a huge freakin boat... My friends dad had a Town and Country station wagon, nothing today compares to something like that...

nobody can answer this? When I saw the "Subaru doesn't make a wagon any more" I was confused. 4 door with hatchback to me is a station wagon...
    Hatchbacks are significantly smaller than wagons. With a hatchback, you might get a foot or two (at best) of space behind the passenger seats. In many cases, sedan models of the same hatchback model often times have more floor space (not vertical space, floor space). I don't consider hatchbacks to be wagons. They are compact cars with a rear lid rather than a full bodied wagon with a lot of cargo space.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by mlctvt View Post
    The reason Subaru of America didn't bring in the turbodiesel Legacy Wagon was it only came with a manual transmission and Subaru USA thought they wouldn't have enough buyers for it with manual only. They didn't(maybe still don't) have an automatic transmission that could handle the torque of the 2.0 Turbodiesel. I would have bought one but I'm an owner of the ultra rare one year only Legacy GT Wagon with Manual trans. Since Subaru gave up on wagons, my wife and I will probably be giving up on Subaru. She currently drives a WRX wagon. Our next car(s) could be either the VW TDI wagon or the CX-5 hopefully diesel with manual?
    Supposedly big brother Toyota may have the automatic transmission issue resolved from the Toyota parts bin with a 5 speed automatic currently in use, that can handle the torque and the RWD / AWD configurations with an inline (not transversely mounted) engine. The RWD refers to a Toyota product. I think it was a Euro spec van or pick-up truck. I read this in a Subaru forum early this year. Not 100% sure of how accurate it is as you would think if you have the transmission and it works just use it!

My thought: They are waiting to see if a CVT will work successfully with the Boxer Diesel.
    Last edited by skijay; Sep 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM. Reason: spelling issue
    2012/2013 - Season

Jiminy Peak - 11/18/2012
    Jay Peak - 12/15/2012, 3/3/13, 4/27

Mount Snow - 12/17/2012, 1/5/2013, 1/26, 2/13, 3/10, 3/24, 3/30, 4/6, 4/13
    Otis Ridge - 12/29/2012, 1/1/2013, 1/12, 1/27, 2/9, 2/16, 2/24, 3/16

21 times

I've read many websites regarding the Subaru Diesel engine in North America... it was announced 5 years ago when gaz prices started going up... they said that they didn't have the technology for making clean diesel (because NA is more strict on gaz emission apparently). They don't want to buy it from Ford, GM or VW... they want to make their own.

We have a Forester... and i looked at the UK website and find we don't get any of the fancy stuff... auto-adjusting lights... suspension levelling under load... and so on.

I think its nitpicking to say they aren't wagons... When I was a kid a station wagon was a huge freakin boat... My friends dad had a Town and Country station wagon, nothing today compares to something like that...

Ooo that is an awesome looking car. I have huge love for wagons. Sedans are just dumb to me from a functionality standpoint. I think all cars should just be wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Ooo that is an awesome looking car. I have huge love for wagons. Sedans are just dumb to me from a functionality standpoint. I think all cars should just be wagons.
    yes - his car was actually yellow. I always wanted one of those
    Wait Till Next Year!!!

Just go down and drive them. You should definitely try the CVT and see if you like it, since that will narrow the options.

New question: Looking at the Outback and Crosstrek. AFA the outback, I would tend toward the 4 cylinder. Not doing any towing or racing. Any reason why I would want to consider the bigger 6 cylinder for a ski car?
    Wait Till Next Year!!!

I don't think there is a Crosstek with 6cyl. Don't forget that the Crosstek is basically an impreza with more ground clearance... kind of like the old Impreza Outback

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    I don't think there is a Crosstek with 6cyl. Don't forget that the Crosstek is basically an impreza with more ground clearance... kind of like the old Impreza Outback
    If you read my question I indicated it was for the outback... But thanks anyway
    Wait Till Next Year!!!

Thread Information