• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

Cannonball

More important than cubic feet is the lay flat space. I think that gets lost a lot in these discussions. You can have a tiny space behind the rear seats but a lot of height and get the same cubic feet as in another vehicle, but it's not nearly as useful.

That's partly why I drive a wagon and not a sport ute.

Exactly! I wish they'd bring back the legacy wagon. Probably the most usable space per dollar (with AWD).

Edd

Exactly! I wish they'd bring back the legacy wagon. Probably the most usable space per dollar (with AWD).

Oh, hell yes. That was my last car and I drove it for over 8 years. When the time came to replace it that model was no longer an option.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wa-loaf

Oh, hell yes. That was my last car and I drove it for over 8 years. When the time came to replace it that model was no longer an option.

What are the odds they bring the Impreza wagon over? That might get me back to Subaru.

Edd

What are the odds they bring the Impreza wagon over? That might get me back to Subaru.

That made me do some Googling. I assume you're talking about this.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1400213956.280666.jpg

Called the Levorg in Japan. Seems to be performance oriented. Good looking car. Just 2 turbocharged engines as options with CVT as the only transmission.

I'd consider a version of this with a basic engine for sure. I'd never heard of this thing.

wa-loaf

View attachment 12642
Called the Levorg in Japan. Seems to be performance oriented. Good looking car. Just 2 turbocharged engines as options with CVT as the only transmission.

That's the one, though I thought there was an available manual transmission. I don't know how you can call something performance oriented with a CVT ...

Cannonball

It seems like Subaru has decided to really diverge their lines. They have really stepped it up on the performance side with their WRX and even gone so far as dropping AWD for the BRZ. Meanwhile, for their other lines they've focused on economy (both MPG and MSRP). I personally like this approach since I'm in the economy camp. But it wouldn't hurt to have some options that crossover.

Cornhead

I rented a Mazda CX 5 in Colorado last week, I was quite impressed. The only gripes, wimpy motor, but I did average 25.2 mpg, too narrow between the side bolsters on the seats, but that could be a personal problem of mine, if I weren't a fat ass/back, they'd be better. I loved all the modern amenities, blind spot warning mirrors, smart key, back up camera.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Geoff

I'd rather have the ground clearance of an Outback during mud month. An Outback would also do a little bit better getting in and out of the ski area parking lot when there's 18" of unplowed slop in it.

jimk

One of the few options I got on my 2014 Outback was 17" wheels. 16" wheels were standard. I notice the 2015 has 17" standard and 18" optional size wheels. Everything else being equal, what do larger wheels do for you?
Two complaints I have with my Outback,
a. handsfree phone connection is not so user friendly. My wife figures it out most of the time she wants to do it. Being a dinosaur- technophobe I don't even try.
b. visibility out the rear of car is not so good for backing up. Guess I should have got the rear view camera, but being a dinosaur will just continue to crane my neck.

Geoff

One of the few options I got on my 2014 Outback was 17" wheels. 16" wheels were standard. I notice the 2015 has 17" standard and 18" optional size wheels. Everything else being equal, what do larger wheels do for you?

It's 100% cosmetic. The overall tire diameter is larger next year so there isn't as much wheel gap between the top of the tire and the fender.

18" wheels make for expensive tires and often make for impossible-to-find tires. If I bought an Outback, I'd run summer tires on the 18" wheels and snows on 17" wheels I found used from somebody doing a wheel upgrade. I do that now on my VW GTI.

Two complaints I have with my Outback,
a. handsfree phone connection is not so user friendly. My wife figures it out most of the time she wants to do it. Being a dinosaur- technophobe I don't even try.
b. visibility out the rear of car is not so good for backing up. Guess I should have got the rear view camera, but being a dinosaur will just continue to crane my neck.

I think the camera is standard next year even on the base trim level.

I'm always disappointed with cell phone integrations.

steamboat1

It's 100% cosmetic. The overall tire diameter is larger next year so there isn't as much wheel gap between the top of the tire and the fender.

Not necessarily. My Imprezza Outback Sport has 17" tires as opposed to 16" tires that come on standard Imprezza's. The 16" tires have the traditional full width sidewalls whereas my 17" tires have the low profile sidewalls. With the difference in the width of the sidewalls there really isn't much difference in the overall size of the tires. Of course I don't know what width sidewalls they plan to use on the 18" tires.

Cannonball

a. handsfree phone connection is not so user friendly.

Can't stand it in the Crosstrek. It's worse than not having it at all. The other day as I pulled into my driveway suddenly my mother-in-law's voice was coming through my speakers. Apparently my car decided to break in on the phone conversation my wife (in the house) was having with her mom. That's worthy of a lawsuit for pain and suffering!!!

Edd

visibility out the rear of car is not so good for backing up. Guess I should have got the rear view camera, but being a dinosaur will just continue to crane my neck.

Backing up in my 2010 Forester is still tricky for me after 4 years. I've never had that problem with a vehicle before. I would love a rear view camera.

skijay

I only wish Subaru would bring the Boxer Diesel engine option choice for us here in the USA.

gmcunni

joined the subi family this summer. picked up '15 Outback Limited, replacing our GMC Acadia. i was more interested in the Crosstrek but wife didn't want to downsize that much. looking forward to our first trip up North loaded with ski gear.

Edd

joined the subi family this summer. picked up '15 Outback Limited, replacing our GMC Acadia. i was more interested in the Crosstrek but wife didn't want to downsize that much. looking forward to our first trip up North loaded with ski gear.

CVT or manual? Curious what your take on the transmission would be; especially coming from something like the Acadia. Rented one of those in Tahoe maybe 4 years ago. Nice ride.

Geoff

CVT or manual? Curious what your take on the transmission would be; especially coming from something like the Acadia. Rented one of those in Tahoe maybe 4 years ago. Nice ride.

Subaru doesn't offer a manual transmission in the 2015 Outback.

Geoff

Not necessarily. My Imprezza Outback Sport has 17" tires as opposed to 16" tires that come on standard Imprezza's. The 16" tires have the traditional full width sidewalls whereas my 17" tires have the low profile sidewalls. With the difference in the width of the sidewalls there really isn't much difference in the overall size of the tires. Of course I don't know what width sidewalls they plan to use on the 18" tires.

An Imprezza Outback Sport has 50-series tires. That's barely considered to be low profile. Usually, a low profile tire is 40 series or less. I run 40 series summer tires and 50 series winter tires on my VW GTI. A 2015 Outback with 18" wheels has 55 series tires. That is not a low profile tire.

skiNEwhere

Subaru doesn't offer a manual transmission in the 2015 Outback.

I'm sure subarus data supports the decline in manuals purchased, but I can foresee a backlash from owners who are on their 2nd or 3rd Subaru when they want to trade in and are told there's no stick shift.

More people seem to prefer striving the stick of a Subaru than other brands.