Subaru - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 357

Thread: Subaru

  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Okay, highway is a touch better but city is 24 vs 25 so I suspect total average will much significantly less than 3 mpg difference which is the highway variance. XV hasn't been out too long but here are some real world numbers:

    http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback/gas%20h4/wagon

    http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/xv%20crosstrek

    Not many XV's reporting in but the average looks pretty similar if slightly higher. Not a huge gain like the Impreza without any real increase in space compared to the Impreza and a huge bump in prize.
    I think you need to take into account the fuelly numbers are inflated by a bunch of hypermilers.



    Who else is going to log all their milage and post it on the internet otherwise? Not most real world people thats for sure.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  2. #72
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    This user has been deleted
    Posts
    3,670
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think you need to take into account the fuelly numbers are inflated by a bunch of hypermilers.

    Who else is going to log all their milage and post it on the internet otherwise? Not most real world people thats for sure.
    That could definitely be true. But that should be pretty consistent across all vehicles, so at least the relative numbers are informative.

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think you need to take into account the fuelly numbers are inflated by a bunch of hypermilers.
    Maybe. But if you make that assumption, then it is true across the entire site so comparisons between average MPG curves for two vehicles is still relevant. You could say that each individual vehicle has slightly overstated averages compared to real life. The bigger issue that is questionable is manual vs. automatic and where people live (i.e. winter fuel and snows compared to sunny year round and LRR tires).

    Not all Fuelly users are big into their MPG. For example, my vehicle is a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, an obvious choice for someone really on their MPG. But the range of average MPG reported is astounding:

    http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2012

    I average 40 MPG and drive snows almost 6 months out of the year and have a ridiculously short 7 minute commute so the engine never warms up on my commutes during the winter. Pretty damn good for my environment and I'd probably be closer to 45 if I lived someplace like FL. But about 1/3 of those reporting in get 35 or less average. Perhaps because the TDI is not only a choice for hypermilers but also for drivers that enjoy diesel performance and torque in a wagon. But those people are tracking on Fuelly too, even though they aren't hypermilers.

    But again the point is moot because the sample is self selecting for ALL vehicles so comparisons can be drawn, though less so for models with Manual and Auto choices.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

  4. #74
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Posts
    11,172

    Re: Subaru

    Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Maybe. But if you make that assumption, then it is true across the entire site so comparisons between average MPG curves for two vehicles is still relevant. You could say that each individual vehicle has slightly overstated averages compared to real life. The bigger issue that is questionable is manual vs. automatic and where people live (i.e. winter fuel and snows compared to sunny year round and LRR tires).

    Not all Fuelly users are big into their MPG. For example, my vehicle is a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, an obvious choice for someone really on their MPG. But the range of average MPG reported is astounding:

    http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2012

    I average 40 MPG and drive snows almost 6 months out of the year and have a ridiculously short 7 minute commute so the engine never warms up on my commutes during the winter. Pretty damn good for my environment and I'd probably be closer to 45 if I lived someplace like FL. But about 1/3 of those reporting in get 35 or less average. Perhaps because the TDI is not only a choice for hypermilers but also for drivers that enjoy diesel performance and torque in a wagon. But those people are tracking on Fuelly too, even though they aren't hypermilers.

    But again the point is moot because the sample is self selecting for ALL vehicles so comparisons can be drawn, though less so for models with Manual and Auto choices.
    Is that A all wheel drive car?

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    9,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Is that A all wheel drive car?
    The Subarus are and the VW is front wheel drive.
    2009/2010 - 28

    2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

    2008/09 - 33

  6. #76
    No doubt, but you are talking about specific vehicles here, not fleet milage so my point still stands. You go to fuelly, see a certain no. then get let down when you dont get it without driving like you live in Vero Beach.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  7. #77
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    This user has been deleted
    Posts
    3,670
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    No doubt, but you are talking about specific vehicles here, not fleet milage so my point still stands. You go to fuelly, see a certain no. then get let down when you dont get it without driving like you live in Vero Beach.
    haha, yup. The good news for me is that I do drive like I live in Vero Beach. I am a really slow driver. Not consciously or for any good reason....just chill I guess. Part of the problem is that other than back and forth from MA to NH I basically drive short distances on small local roads. My commute is 7 miles and I don't have a defined time when I get to or leave work. I'm forever looking in the rearview and saying "why is this a-hole right on me?!!....oh because I'm going 5 under the limit....oops".

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    No doubt, but you are talking about specific vehicles here, not fleet milage so my point still stands. You go to fuelly, see a certain no. then get let down when you dont get it without driving like you live in Vero Beach.
    The point you are making does not contradict my point. Your point is that Fuelly mileage is on average higher than what non-Fuelly reporting drivers on average experience. That is almost surely true. My point is that comparisons between cars are valid because the sampling pool is consistent throughout the entire site (your point as much as mine) so therefore you can draw rough comparisons between two different vehicles... not a reflection on what you should expect if you personally bought that vehicle... but you can see that one vehicle on average out performs or under performs another vehicle.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    haha, yup. The good news for me is that I do drive like I live in Vero Beach. I am a really slow driver. Not consciously or for any good reason....just chill I guess. Part of the problem is that other than back and forth from MA to NH I basically drive short distances on small local roads. My commute is 7 miles and I don't have a defined time when I get to or leave work. I'm forever looking in the rearview and saying "why is this a-hole right on me?!!....oh because I'm going 5 under the limit....oops".
    You'd fit in well out West. Its amazing that road rage still exists, but in the inverse for driving to fast.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  10. #80
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    This user has been deleted
    Posts
    3,670
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You'd fit in well out West. Its amazing that road rage still exists, but in the inverse for driving to fast.
    No doubt. When in lived in CO there were enough type A East coast transplants to keep the roads autobahn-like. But WY is the slowest place I've ever been. Even I got impatient.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.