• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

steamboat1

An Imprezza Outback Sport has 50-series tires. That's barely considered to be low profile. Usually, a low profile tire is 40 series or less. I run 40 series summer tires and 50 series winter tires on my VW GTI. A 2015 Outback with 18" wheels has 55 series tires. That is not a low profile tire.
All I know is that the width of the sidewalls on my car is significantly less than standard tires. Call it whatever you like if that's what turns you on..

gmcunni

CVT or manual? Curious what your take on the transmission would be; especially coming from something like the Acadia. Rented one of those in Tahoe maybe 4 years ago. Nice ride.

as mentioned, no manual option in US. compared to acadia... hard to tell. only 600 miles on it so far and not driving hard. i never loved the acadia tranny.. didn't downshift well and when it did it would often go down 2 gears, end up near the redline without giving me the acceleration needed/

CVT does shift smoothly, i've played a little with the paddle shifters but don't have a good feel for them yet.

gmcunni

A 2015 Outback with 18" wheels has 55 series tires. That is not a low profile tire.

225/60R18 actually.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 197

Edd

Apropos of nothing, I just replaced the tires for the first time on my '10 Forester. The originals made it over 67K. That was way better than anything on my Legacy before. Pretty pleased.

The originals were Yokohama Geolander G95s.

wa-loaf

It looks like they vastly improved the interior in the 2015 Outback.

o3jeff

My Friends just ordered a 2015 4cy Outback, should be here in 5-10 weeks. Interested in checking it out as I have never been a big Subaru fan.

Warp Daddy

good luck Gary , we love our Outback LTD. Its a 2012 has 18,000 on it . it is our travel and ski car. wehave other wheels for local use .

theSubies were NOT. On our radar screen after driving Saabs for 25 yrs , but after seing the interior , driving it we were sold . Still love would but another in a heartbeat !

wa-loaf

but after seeing the interior , driving it we were sold

Really?! I thought the interior of the 10' - 14' model year was a real step down from the previous version. It's all hard plastic and poorly organized. The 2015 seems to have them back on track design wise. Almost bought a 13', but the interior was one of a few things that made me go with a VW. VWs have their issues, but they sure now how to do interiors well!

AdironRider

Just wait for a couple years of use and that interior will be a rattle trap, not durable piece of ....

Any brand new car interior will look decent, it is a new car after all.

darent

I'm sure subarus data supports the decline in manuals purchased, but I can foresee a backlash from owners who are on their 2nd or 3rd Subaru when they want to trade in and are told there's no stick shift.

More people seem to prefer striving the stick of a Subaru than other brands.
I am one of those, changing brands because of lack of manuel tranny, so hard to find in a subie

wa-loaf

I am one of those, changing brands because of lack of manuel tranny, so hard to find in a subie

Have something in mind? Its hard to get anything that isn't either small entry level or a sports car.

darent

Have something in mind? Its hard to get anything that isn't either small entry level or a sports car.
1967 MGB, trunk mounted ski rack. MY 2000 subie going to daughter and moving to Michigan, her husband has a brother that rebuilds subies, janski's old car, 2009 escape with 14895 miles on it, a slush box, is now the new ski car. I will miss the subie!!

Cannonball

Are they hard to find? My mom just bought a 2014 Impreza. She wanted manual tranny and got it. I don't think she went through any hassle to get it. I test drove a few Subie models before buying my XV last year, a couple of those were manual (just on the lot). Might have just been lucky in those cases, manual isn't of interest to me so I wasn't paying attention to whether they were rare or not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My Mazda dealer tells me only about 20% of the Mazda 3s he sells come with a Manual and that model car has about as high of a manual take rate as there is for a non-sports car on the market. We own two 3s, both MTs.

I'd like to get an AWD SUV at some point with a MT, but I think the only option in the US market right now is a 4 door Wrangler.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not particularly. I do respect their capability. I'm just a fairly crodgity consumer, perhaps unreasonably so. The Legacy Wagon I drove for two years was the biggest POS I ever had as a daily driver. I found the boys at Exeter Subaru to be rip off artists as well regarding maintenance. And this was a company car, so I wasn't even paying the repair bills.

I imagine I'll be stuck getting an auto SUV down the line, and then have the wife's ride as my manual toy to use every once in a while.

Geoff

One requirement I have is to be able to drive the 2 miles from my condo to the parking lot wearing ski boots. I've been booting up in the condo since 1998.

Who is this Manuel Tranny guy? A Portuguese cross dresser? :)

Once I collapse the Mountaineer and GTI down to one car that can be both daily driver and deal with hauling stuff, my Killington driveway, and unplowed ski area parking lots, I may get a summer toy that is more engaging to drive.

wa-loaf

Are they hard to find? My mom just bought a 2014 Impreza. She wanted manual tranny and got it. I don't think she went through any hassle to get it. I test drove a few Subie models before buying my XV last year, a couple of those were manual (just on the lot). Might have just been lucky in those cases, manual isn't of interest to me so I wasn't paying attention to whether they were rare or not.

If you want the Outback in a manual it's hard to find in the 14' and they eliminated it altogether in the 15's.

Impreza's and Forrester's still have them. My Fiance has the XV in manual and it's pretty nice, but lacks in cargo space.