• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

Tin

Just had to replace another oil pressure switch in the 2.5 (3rd in 3 years), oil is also pissing out the PCV and valve cover gaskets throwing it all over the exhaust so the car smells awful, and it is going through a quart every 1000 miles thanks to the shit piston ring issue that all Subarus up to 2013 have. I'm doing the PCV and valve cover gaskets today and I'm starting to put heavier weight oil in. Our landlord's 2011 Forester is approaching 80k and is drinking oil through the piston rings, she is having to put 2-3 quarts in between changes these days. These things flat out suck when comparing them to most other vehicles.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just had to replace another oil pressure switch in the 2.5 (3rd in 3 years), oil is also pissing out the PCV and valve cover gaskets throwing it all over the exhaust so the car smells awful, and it is going through a quart every 1000 miles thanks to the shit piston ring issue that all Subarus up to 2013 have. I'm doing the PCV and valve cover gaskets today and I'm starting to put heavier weight oil in. Our landlord's 2011 Forester is approaching 80k and is drinking oil through the piston rings, she is having to put 2-3 quarts in between changes these days. These things flat out suck when comparing them to most other vehicles.

Wow. I have heard these issues with older Subarus. Thankfully we have not had any issues. Our 2017 has been great...knock on wood. We put 50k on our 2005 Outback 3.6 and had no issues at all. That turned me on to Subarus. I credit my wife for finding that car....she has a knack for knowing what to get.

Tin

Wow. I have heard these issues with older Subarus. Thankfully we have not had any issues. Our 2017 has been great...knock on wood. We put 50k on our 2005 Outback 3.6 and had no issues at all. That turned me on to Subarus. I credit my wife for finding that car....she has a knack for knowing what to get.

The 3.6 is decent but the non-turbo 2.5 from 96-2013 could be the worst motor ever mass produced.

dlague

The 3.6 is decent but the non-turbo 2.5 from 96-2013 could be the worst motor ever mass produced.

I have to agree! We bought the Subaru and never really got on it while test driving and on or first trip skiing driving I-70 some of those ascents we a challenge requiring that it be pegged to keep up with traffic going up hill. Passing other cars was also not its strength.

We had a 2.5 non turbo.

frapcap

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...es-may-have-defective-piston-ring-071714.html

Unwilling to do right by their customers over the head gasket issue for like 20 years. Now refusing to do right by customers on defective piston rings. Not good.

Head gaskets suck with them.

However, I'm on my second short block for oil consumption through the rings on my 2015 n/a 2.5.
So far, the Tri City dealer has been great to me.
Oddly enough, the different bore/stroke/hardware combination on my '13 BRZ has it eating zero oil.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

I had a 2011 Outback that had 95k on it when I traded it in and used no oil. I did put synthetic in it though for its entire life. Mind you, I put all those miles in less than 4 years. I have a 2015 Legacy 3.6R with no issues, but it only has 22k on it. I work from home now, so most of that is ski miles....

dlague

I had a Subaru for a whole month and never had oil issues never even changed the oil. Thanks to a woman that decided to go through a read light.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Warp Daddy

Just pulled the trigger and ordered 2018 Outback Limited loaded , traded my 2012 same model got top buck and then some My new dealer 3 hrs away was 4 k under the local dealer . Loved my ' 12 , still got my wife's '14 Rav XLE niice backup second local hop tool

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just pulled the trigger and ordered 2018 Outback Limited loaded , traded my 2012 same model got top buck and then some My new dealer 3 hrs away was 4 k under the local dealer . Loved my ' 12 , still got my wife's '14 Rav XLE niice backup second local hop tool

Does it have the EyeSight? I use mine a lot.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yup ! We custom ordered ( done it before ) couldn't find the color Dark Blue Pearl with white leather heated seats with the options we wanted , so will get this some between Thanksgiving and Christmas .

how are you liking yours so far ?

I have the four cylinder 2.4 Premium. Love it. Awesome mileage. Awesome AWD performance in snow. After one year, very happy. Only (major) downside, is that beware that if you a rock hits your windshield and it cracks that you have a very long wait for a replacement windshield. It took me over two months to get a windshield for mine because of the EyeSight. They had NO windshields for my car on the entire continent.

The EyeSight makes my commute a real breeze. It saves me hard braking and sets the pace in traffic. It is one step below fully autonomous driving in my mind. I also use the lane assist and that helps keep the car in the lane nicely for me. The blind spot detector has saved me multiple times.

benski

I have the four cylinder 2.4 Premium. Love it. Awesome mileage. Awesome AWD performance in snow. After one year, very happy. Only (major) downside, is that beware that if you a rock hits your windshield and it cracks that you have a very long wait for a replacement windshield. It took me over two months to get a windshield for mine because of the EyeSight. They had NO windshields for my car on the entire continent.

The EyeSight makes my commute a real breeze. It saves me hard braking and sets the pace in traffic. It is one step below fully autonomous driving in my mind. I also use the lane assist and that helps keep the car in the lane nicely for me. The blind spot detector has saved me multiple times.

Strange. I had my windshield on my 2011 Impreza replaced in a few hours of cracking in New York. Maybe your guy was not prepared or there was a supply issue. I am looking to buy a Crosstrek soon. Any advice?

darent

I owned a 2000 2.5 outback, had it for 12 years and it never burned any oil.I really liked the car but it was the most expensive car I ever owned to maintain.Spent a fortune on brakes, they always felt spongy and the constant check engine light thing drove me nuts.The rear subframe rusted and broke at 75000 and I got rid of it.Don't no if I would buy another Subaru.