• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

darent

How about the Chevy/GMC truck,SUV front running light gremlin, for years now I have seen one light out!!

dlague

So being in Colorado we bit the bullet and bought into a Subaru - why not the third most popular vehicle here. Bought a new to us Outback at the end of February and now it is no longer on the road. Definitely built tough, a woman went through a red light and t boned me and pushed me into another lane where I continued to get hit by a pickup. Smashed up both sides and only got 5 staples in the head and injured my thumb (grip on steering wheel) - that's it. Inside the car you could never tell it got into an accident but on the outside well .....

driverside.jpg

20170404_074640.jpg

20170404_074608.jpg

BTW Still skied this weekend!

prsboogie

Shit man glad your ok. Saw something posted elsewhere but figured you'd share when ready. Good thing you had a well built vehicle, vibes

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Yeah dang. Hard enough to get T-boned never mind get t-boned into another vehicle. Glad you're okay! Props to still skiing!

thetrailboss

Staff member
So being in Colorado we bit the bullet and bought into a Subaru - why not the third most popular vehicle here. Bought a new to us Outback at the end of February and now it is no longer on the road. Definitely built tough, a woman went through a red light and t boned me and pushed me into another lane where I continued to get hit by a pickup. Smashed up both sides and only got 5 staples in the head and injured my thumb (grip on steering wheel) - that's it. Inside the car you could never tell it got into an accident but on the outside well .....

View attachment 22412

View attachment 22413

View attachment 22414

BTW Still skied this weekend!

Wow. Scary. That sucks. Glad you're OK.

dlague

Now in car buying mode. Pulling strong for another Subaru but probably the Outback 36R as the 2.5 does not have the guts to pass other cars. I really like the safety aspect after my experience.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now in car buying mode. Pulling strong for another Subaru but probably the Outback 36R as the 2.5 does not have the guts to pass other cars. I really like the safety aspect after my experience.

I've never had an issue with power with my 2.4 in the five months I have owned it. It is getting 27-28 mpg on average. Amazing. This is the last year of the 3.6 FYI. We had one before and loved it. It had a lot of power. Tradeoff was the MPG. It got about 20. That was a 2005 though.

I do like the Lane Assist, Eyesight (adaptive cruise), blind spot monitors, rear view camera, and the rear-stop safety feature.

bdfreetuna

I would also consider the 2.0 Turbo in the Forester XT. It's a newer engine and this is the platform Subaru will be migrating everything to.

Given the choice between that an a 3.6R Legacy/Outback it would be a tough call. I would get the Legacy before an Outback though. The 3.6R will probably have a slight edge on dependability and the 2.0 Turbo be a little more fun to drive.

Unfortunately you're not getting a manual transmission with either one of those right now.

They are coming out with a 2.4 DIT turbo next year, probably for the STI and a new SUV, but I think for the vehicles you're looking at that's not going to be something worth trying to wait for.

dlague

After driving and Ford Explorer and BMW X5, an Mercedes ML 350, a Volvo XC90, and a Lexus RX350 not sure Subaru is going to make the cut. Those all had more power. But they also all use more gas. Heart is still with Subaru but the others are more fun.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, most all of those options are luxury vehicles, so yeah, there will obviously be a noticeable difference. Even the Explorer will be a noticeable step up from a 4cyl Subaru. Though Subaru's AWD system might be better than most of those.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
After driving and Ford Explorer and BMW X5, an Mercedes ML 350, a Volvo XC90, and a Lexus RX350 not sure Subaru is going to make the cut. Those all had more power. But they also all use more gas. Heart is still with Subaru but the others are more fun.

You owe it to yourself to check out the Toyota Highlander. Really nice.

jimk

I have a 2014 Outback 2.5, bought new in 2013 and it now has about 50K miles. I drive like a geezer and prefer higher mileage so have never felt like I needed more power and I took the car to Colorado and beyond on two long trips involving high altitudes. I'm happy with the vehicle, no mechanical problems so far, and I think it is real solid in snowy situations, but I have never liked the way my transmission feels in normal suburban driving. Real clunky, seems like there is a second of hesitation between when you step on the gas and acceleration begins. I am curious if the 3.6 would do better, or maybe the new Outback 2015 model year does better? Also, I'm a cheap technophobe and did not get the back-up camera. Sort of regret that as the rear sightlines aren't great due to low cut rear windows. My son has a 2015 Forester that I've driven quite a bit and it's much friendlier to drive with respect to sightlines and smooth transmission.

dlague

Well bought the Explorer. I really wanted to get the Subaru but could not get past the under powered feeling. I drove one again after driving like 6 other vehicles and it felt so sluggish. Even the VW Tiguan felt quicker.

Glenn

Cool. Let us know how you like it. Don't forget the snow tires. :grin:

Edd

I rented a Ford Escape for a week recently. I don't know which engine it had but it certainly had more power than my 4 cylinder Forester. Nice infotainment system; it was my first time messing with CarPlay. It's something I'd consider buying but the gas mileage didn't seem great.