• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

sull1102

So everything looks good, but to clarify for anyone looking in the future, the roof rails are the black pieces directly attaching to the vehicle, crossbars attach to the roof rails, basket attachs to crossbars. Nowadays most lightweight baskets can face either direction, most crossbars are tapered for better aero and same with the roof rails. Admittedly the rails certainly do look a little odd, one of things that once you notice it it bothers you...

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

sull1102

I meant the crossbar. The pillar rail that goes from front to back obviously can’t go on backwards.
Crossbars are also attached properly. Picture an airplane wing, it's wider and rounded on the cutting sides and drapes off to the back, that allows for less wind noise in the cabin, something Subie always struggles with for decades now, and slightly better MPG. You want to keep them so the wide end of facing forward.

Scruffy

Crossbars are also attached properly. Picture an airplane wing, it's wider and rounded on the cutting sides and drapes off to the back, that allows for less wind noise in the cabin, something Subie always struggles with for decades now, and slightly better MPG. You want to keep them so the wide end of facing forward.

:slap: Damn, those liars in physics class and their lift theory. Who knew it was all about noise. :-o

SkiingInABlueDream

Something I just thought of WRT the head gaskets issue. It could potentially reduce the resale of the car to zero. I have an 07 Impreza that I bought back in Nov for embarrassingly too much, and didn't know HG were a problem point for Subarus. Im currently buying a new car and getting $1700 on trade-in . According to KBB that's in range for my model in fair-to-ok shape. But the dealer doesn't know (or care) that my car needs a $1700 head gasket job. Tunas comment (about a shop that'll do that job for less) notwithstanding (because I have never heard that repair priced less anywhere else), basically my car has zero value. Granted, my car is a base model impreza 2.5i which was cheap as shit even in it's day and compared to my 04 wrx, so it's value would not have been too much even in perfect shape. But it seems crazy that this car, with only ~100k miles, is basically a parts car now.

I am selling my 2012 Impreza, 80k fair shape. Tires are 1 year old (snows). Asking 6k. PM for more details.

sull1102

Done more than fair share of 'em but I'll tell you what, when it came to doing it on the Subie I have to after hours of cursing at the sky. I could not believe how tough it was to change the regulator on the Forester at least.

Edd

There’s a warranty extension for all 2018 models. It covers the CVT for 10 years/100k miles. Searches tell me that this has been done for previous years also. Can’t find much on the cause for the latest extension, but the reasons aren’t likely good. Nice to have the extra coverage.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
There’s a warranty extension for all 2018 models. It covers the CVT for 10 years/100k miles. Searches tell me that this has been done for previous years also. Can’t find much on the cause for the latest extension, but the reasons aren’t likely good. Nice to have the extra coverage.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Got a notice for my 2017. Same thing. Makes me wonder.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The only big gripe so far for my 2017 Outback, now with 26k miles on it, is the thin windshield. It cracks very easily. I’ve already gone through two windshields. First one was a real pain because they had a backorder of two months on it. Average MPG is 30.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

sull1102

Big BIG BIG BIG HUGE Subaru recall coming in the next few weeks here that will involve all models. Could take a year or more to actually do the work as it involves engine removal and pull apart. Not sure what model years just yet, will post when I find out. You will want to jump in the line very early if you can.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Big BIG BIG BIG HUGE Subaru recall coming in the next few weeks here that will involve all models. Could take a year or more to actually do the work as it involves engine removal and pull apart. Not sure what model years just yet, will post when I find out. You will want to jump in the line very early if you can.

Can you give more information?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone