• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

SkiDork

If you were going to get a Subaru as a ski car (wagon style) which model would it be?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Outback wagon. We have a 2005 Outback 2.5xt and love it. 250 horse and it drives like a champ, even with 115k on it. Nice for tailgate parties and plenty of room. 4wd all the time.

steamboat1

Depends on how it will be used. If your going to have 3 or more people in the car then the Outback wagon or Forrester would be a more sensible choice. Even the Legacy would be a good choice but you mentioned wagon style.

My ski trips are usually either solo or with only one other person in the car. I have the Imprezza Outback Sport which has plenty of room for 2 people plus luggage & ski's. It's a hatchback so has the same functionality as wagons for tailgate parties. The difference to me is gas mileage. With the Imprezza I get better than 35mpg on the highway with regular gas, not bad for AWD. My understanding is that some of the other models, especially with turbo charged engines, only run on high test. Not only that but the gas mileage isn't even close to what I get. That can make a big difference when driving back & forth 15 times during a season putting 700-800 miles on the car each time like I do.

I do have another larger car if my family decides to come or if more people are tagging along but the rest of my family gave up skiing several years ago so most of the time I'm flying solo. The Imprezza Outback Sport is the perfect ski car for my needs. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

skijay

2013 XV Crosstrek. I'm waiting until mid October to test drive one.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last edited:

steamboat1

2013 XV Crosstrek. I'm waiting until mid October to test drive one.
Cool looking car. I like the fact that the suspension is raised 4" more than a standard Imprezza. My Outback Sport is only raised 2" more. Has the same engine as my car so it runs on regular but the gas mileage rating is slightly lower. I guess that's from additional drag caused by the higher suspension.

wtcobb

I have an Impreza and it works fine with the single back seat down to put the skis through. I can only fit three, but you need to put the seat down in an Outback too...

Ideally if you're traveling with more than two you have a roof rack/box, which all Subarus are equipped to handle. Outbacks and Forresters already have the crossbars (usually) too.

Warp Daddy

After 25 yr of driving Saab sport wagons or coupes we bought a 2012 Outback Limited Deep Indigo Pearl w white leather heated seats, moonroof ,, Harmon Kardon audio system subwoofer Bluetooth , sat radio , winter pkg and several other goodies . Loved my Saab sport combo but this one is larger ,AWD and is a really nice interior layout and great storage capacity .

We just got back from a 2600 mile oddesey thru the Mtns of VT , NH and the Dacks and drove the coasts of Maine, NH and the Cape . So we got a good mix of turnpike , 2 laners, dirt roads , twisty stuff on VT 100 and 28/30 in the Dacks . we also did city driving in Boston metro area and some "sand dancing" on the Cape and averaged 32.4 mpg with the 2.5 CVT engine . We set the cruise on 70 on Turnpike and drove 60 on 2 laners and whatever the conditions allowed on the twistys .

pretty happy with it after 3 plus months . It is our first SUBIE.

skijay

If you consider a 2009 + Forester and you are 6' tall or taller and you may be a passenger in it, consider sitting in the passenger's side seat for a while. The seat is low and it lacks legroom. I have to hear the bitching from someone on trips up north.

darent

have a 2000 outback as my ski car, winter kit with heated front seats, plus winter tires, great winter car with just 71000 miles on it. I drop one rear seat and store skis in car with plenty of room for the e two of us. What the heck is a BRZ??

steamboat1

I have an Impreza and it works fine with the single back seat down to put the skis through. I can only fit three, but you need to put the seat down in an Outback too...

Ideally if you're traveling with more than two you have a roof rack/box, which all Subarus are equipped to handle. Outbacks and Forresters already have the crossbars (usually) too.
My Imprezza Outback Sport came standard with a roof rack. I have a large/wide Thule box sitting in my attic that hasn't been used in years. If I ever find the need to use it again it clamps right onto my rack without special adapters. I've had 4 pairs of ski's, boots, poles along with 3 6ft. hero's in the coffin with room to spare in the past. I'll lose a couple mpg with it on the roof.

Yeah it came with heated seats & all those stupid blue tooth & other kizmo's which I never use standard too.

Last edited: