• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

sull1102

If you're into the Apple ecosystem then carplay could be enough to sell you, if you aren't into cars at all and are just kind of meh about spirited driving on a Sunday morning. Personally, could care less for it when the big guys like BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, and more have just barely started to experiment with Carplay and Android Auto. As for MPG, if you can wait a few weeks maybe two months, Mazda is coming out with a legitimately revolutionary petrol motor that gets diesel mpg with petrol horsepower and no spark plugs... Insane.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
We were checking out a premium with a moonroof. No eyesight was on it but I do want that. I’m hoping to identify a car on Friday and make an offer. One tiny bummer is that you have to move up to limited trim to get push button start. I had a loaner Honda HRV last week and enjoyed that feature. It’s standard in the Honda and Nissan cars.

I could live with the Crosstrek since we’ll still have a Forester kicking around to haul a bunch of stuff/people if needed. The Outback was very nice to drive, though.

I have the Premium with EyeSight, Push Button, and Moonroof. I love it. 27.5 Mpg average.

Years ago when I was car shopping I got a don’t-give-a-shit vibe from the Honda dealer so I didn’t even test drive. This time I did and I liked the salesman fine. He told me there’s no incentives offered because “Honda doesn’t have to offer them”. I suspect that’s true but it dampens my enthusiasm somewhat.

I’ve never owned a Honda but they really have a distinct feel/design that I respect. I feel similar about Subaru. Nissan is a bit harder to pin down. The Rogue I checked out had a hell of a panoramic sunroof though. It’s part of a “sun and sound” package, which includes a 9 speaker Bose stereo.

I did love my Honda Civic (2008 ) model. It was hard not to consider a Honda, but the price, dealer, and "we don't have to offer any deals" attitude all pushed us away. Plus I had heard so-so reviews of the CRV AWD system. It all depends on what you like.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

thetrailboss: On your Subaru just consider headgaskets 100,000 mi service. It'll be a few hundred bucks at the most, you'll have to do it probably one time in your ownership to be safe. Subaru owners should also look for the tell tale cloudy radiator fluid, I suppose whenever you look under the hood. I've owned 6 Subarus most of which where very high mileage with no HG issues. One time I did have HG blow around 190k miles in a 1998 Forester.

That said,

GT-sale-front.jpg
GT-sale-engine.jpg
GT-sale-back.jpg

Edd

The Outbacks are going for 0% financing, to get rid of the 2018s. The Crosstreks don’t have that deal. It’s amazing how the various sized SUVs cross over in terms of prices; with the trim level being a major factor.

Looked hard at Outbacks today. Wife wants leather seats and I want Eyesight. Getting both is pricier than we’d like. Grrr...

sull1102

Get Eyesight, DO NOT CAVE! It is one of the best systems in the road, on par with the Germans and Brits. The leather will get very hot in the sun and will age quicker than cloth ;).

benski

Get Eyesight, DO NOT CAVE! It is one of the best systems in the road, on par with the Germans and Brits. The leather will get very hot in the sun and will age quicker than cloth ;).
[/URL]

As a college student, I am really questioning the leather better than cloth theory. In a 10 year old car cloth leather really sucks, meanwhile cloth just looks a little warn. If you care about keeping the car cool in the summer, buy a car shade for $8, they make a huge difference.

bigbog

.........As for MPG, if you can wait a few weeks maybe two months, Mazda is coming out with a legitimately revolutionary petrol motor that gets diesel mpg with petrol horsepower and no spark plugs... Insane.

Thanks for mentioning, should be interesting. Will be waiting for the 19s to arrive before maybe picking up a new car. Will hang onto my 92' Accord till then. Was waiting to see what the 19's will look/drive like....now will have Mazda to look at too....however, in reality, I won't be adding anything on to the 4Runner till the little single garage turns into a double...one way or another.

Last edited:

Edd

Get Eyesight, DO NOT CAVE! It is one of the best systems in the road, on par with the Germans and Brits. The leather will get very hot in the sun and will age quicker than cloth ;)[/URL]

We both caved and went for a limited with leather, ES, nav, but not remote start which annoys me. Picking up on Friday. Nicest car I’ve ever bought by a long shot. I hope I run that thing for 15 years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We both caved and went for a limited with leather, ES, nav, but not remote start which annoys me. Picking up on Friday. Nicest car I’ve ever bought by a long shot. I hope I run that thing for 15 years.

NICE!!!! Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

sull1102

I think you'll find that the remote starter is not the necessity that it once was. New motors warm up pretty quick and they get coolant following through the heater core quick to get you heat before it's fully warmed up.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

Did you get the 3.6? I have a 18 with that and its soo smooth. I diod get the remote start, only thing that bugs me about it as when you open the door, the car shuts off. Security feature. Also no access to stsart the car from your phone, as opposed to our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Edd

No, we went 2.5. Yes, I saw a YouTube vid about the motor shutting off and I think that would bug me too.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Edd

Eyesight is the best thing ever.

Yeah, I’m very glad we got that. The adaptive CC works amazingly well. I drove in stop and go traffic on Rt 1 in Maine yesterday and that was a surreal experience. Set it to 25 mph, planted my feet on the floor and watched it nearly drive itself for 10 minutes.