• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

Puck it

Haha...I hate the orange! But that's what the wife likes, so we'll see...

Tundra has been in the shop for a week with at least another week to go. Prob around $8K in body work when said and done. The accident isn't really the reason for car shopping but it was the catalyst. Just time to improve on MPG. I have owned trucks since I was 17. A subaru would be a culture change. But I'm not afraid.

I had a wagon with fake wood panels thus called Woody back in grad school. I traded my motorcycle to commute to grad in winter. It is still one of the best vehicles that I have driven in the snow. It only had 2wd and not the best tires. Tell her go for the orange. I listened to my wife and daughter and did not get for the yellow FJ. I really the XV though.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
XV doesn't get that great of gas mileage, does it? On par with the larger Outback if I am not mistaken? Certainly much less than the Impreza hatch which is the only really good AWD vehicle for gas mileage out there.

Cannonball

XV doesn't get that great of gas mileage, does it? On par with the larger Outback if I am not mistaken? Certainly much less than the Impreza hatch which is the only really good AWD vehicle for gas mileage out there.

Actually the XV is pretty close to the impreza for MPGs. They run about like this:

Impreza hatch base: 27/36 (city/hwy)
Impreza hatch sport: 26/35 (Not a reported number. But from what I've read due to added roof rails and 17" wheels)
Crosstrek XV: 25/33 (std roof rails, 17" wheels, etc)
Outback (base): 24/30
Forester (base): 21/27

So, it falls between the imprezza and the outback. Obviously the outback gives you a lot more room and a lot 'more' in general. For my personal situation it's about maximizing MPG within the constraints of AWD. My wife's CRV is approx the size of the outback with approx the same MPG. We don't need 2 cars that do the exact same thing. So the extra MPG of the XV over the outback makes it a winner. By the same token, the extra MPG of the imprezza over the XV makes a strong case too. So I'm still in a dilemma between them.

AdironRider

I think you are going to be dissapointed with the XV. My wifes best friend got one and its so underpowered you end up getting much worse gas milage than advertised as your goosing it everywhere to keep up with traffic.

Look up the M3 vs prius clip from Top Gear on Youtube and you'll get the picture.

wtcobb

I think you are going to be dissapointed with the XV. My wifes best friend got one and its so underpowered you end up getting much worse gas milage than advertised as your goosing it everywhere to keep up with traffic.

Look up the M3 vs prius clip from Top Gear on Youtube and you'll get the picture.

This happened with the switch from the 2.5 to the 2.0. Much less power from the Impreza engines now. And then the XV got a heavier body on the same underpowered engine.

Puck it

I love seeing a Prius on the interstate doing 75mph!!!!

Geoff

Outback (base): 24/30

I thought the Outback was EPA 28 highway? That's how Edmunds has it.

I've had the new Legacy sedan as a rental a few times. As I've written many times, I grew up in a Subaru household where mom has driven Subaru wagons since the early 1970's and my sister has had them since 1975. I never fit in them comfortably so I never bought one. Now that the Legacy is super-sized, I'll have to give the Outback another look. ..though I'd rather have a Legacy wagon than an Outback if they hadn't stopped bringing them into the US.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Okay, highway is a touch better but city is 24 vs 25 so I suspect total average will much significantly less than 3 mpg difference which is the highway variance. XV hasn't been out too long but here are some real world numbers:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback/gas h4/wagon

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/xv crosstrek

Not many XV's reporting in but the average looks pretty similar if slightly higher. Not a huge gain like the Impreza without any real increase in space compared to the Impreza and a huge bump in prize.

Cannonball

Not a huge gain like the Impreza without any real increase in space compared to the Impreza and a huge bump in prize.

Yeah, maybe. I guess it's all about how you'd spec it out. In my case the price difference isn't that much. The base model impreza is pretty spartan. Whereas there really is no 'base model' Crosstrek. The entry level Crosstrek is Subaru's Premium level with their all-weather package. Since I would add this all onto an Impreza the final price difference for similarly equipped vehicles is ~$1,200 (I've priced them out at the dealer). Some of those add-ons (roof rails, larger tires) reduce gas mileage. That is reflected in Crostrek MPG estimates (since those are standard) but not reflected in the Imprezza MPG estimates since those are based on the strip down models. This is even true for the fuelly numbers to an extent since entries by imprezza owners run the gamut of how the cars are equipped. So their MPG difference is a little less than it appears. An Outback, on the other hand, is definitely a big price jump over either of the others. But you're right that the imprezza is the cheapest and gets the best MPG. For that reason it continues to be a top contender in my car shopping.

AdironRider

Okay, highway is a touch better but city is 24 vs 25 so I suspect total average will much significantly less than 3 mpg difference which is the highway variance. XV hasn't been out too long but here are some real world numbers:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback/gas%20h4/wagon

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/xv crosstrek

Not many XV's reporting in but the average looks pretty similar if slightly higher. Not a huge gain like the Impreza without any real increase in space compared to the Impreza and a huge bump in prize.

I think you need to take into account the fuelly numbers are inflated by a bunch of hypermilers.

Who else is going to log all their milage and post it on the internet otherwise? Not most real world people thats for sure.

Cannonball

I think you need to take into account the fuelly numbers are inflated by a bunch of hypermilers.

Who else is going to log all their milage and post it on the internet otherwise? Not most real world people thats for sure.

That could definitely be true. But that should be pretty consistent across all vehicles, so at least the relative numbers are informative.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Maybe. But if you make that assumption, then it is true across the entire site so comparisons between average MPG curves for two vehicles is still relevant. You could say that each individual vehicle has slightly overstated averages compared to real life. The bigger issue that is questionable is manual vs. automatic and where people live (i.e. winter fuel and snows compared to sunny year round and LRR tires).

Not all Fuelly users are big into their MPG. For example, my vehicle is a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, an obvious choice for someone really on their MPG. But the range of average MPG reported is astounding:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2012

I average 40 MPG and drive snows almost 6 months out of the year and have a ridiculously short 7 minute commute so the engine never warms up on my commutes during the winter. Pretty damn good for my environment and I'd probably be closer to 45 if I lived someplace like FL. But about 1/3 of those reporting in get 35 or less average. Perhaps because the TDI is not only a choice for hypermilers but also for drivers that enjoy diesel performance and torque in a wagon. But those people are tracking on Fuelly too, even though they aren't hypermilers.

But again the point is moot because the sample is self selecting for ALL vehicles so comparisons can be drawn, though less so for models with Manual and Auto choices.

ScottySkis

Maybe. But if you make that assumption, then it is true across the entire site so comparisons between average MPG curves for two vehicles is still relevant. You could say that each individual vehicle has slightly overstated averages compared to real life. The bigger issue that is questionable is manual vs. automatic and where people live (i.e. winter fuel and snows compared to sunny year round and LRR tires).

Not all Fuelly users are big into their MPG. For example, my vehicle is a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, an obvious choice for someone really on their MPG. But the range of average MPG reported is astounding:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2012

I average 40 MPG and drive snows almost 6 months out of the year and have a ridiculously short 7 minute commute so the engine never warms up on my commutes during the winter. Pretty damn good for my environment and I'd probably be closer to 45 if I lived someplace like FL. But about 1/3 of those reporting in get 35 or less average. Perhaps because the TDI is not only a choice for hypermilers but also for drivers that enjoy diesel performance and torque in a wagon. But those people are tracking on Fuelly too, even though they aren't hypermilers.

But again the point is moot because the sample is self selecting for ALL vehicles so comparisons can be drawn, though less so for models with Manual and Auto choices.
Is that A all wheel drive car?

AdironRider

No doubt, but you are talking about specific vehicles here, not fleet milage so my point still stands. You go to fuelly, see a certain no. then get let down when you dont get it without driving like you live in Vero Beach.

Cannonball

No doubt, but you are talking about specific vehicles here, not fleet milage so my point still stands. You go to fuelly, see a certain no. then get let down when you dont get it without driving like you live in Vero Beach.

haha, yup. The good news for me is that I do drive like I live in Vero Beach. I am a really slow driver. Not consciously or for any good reason....just chill I guess. Part of the problem is that other than back and forth from MA to NH I basically drive short distances on small local roads. My commute is 7 miles and I don't have a defined time when I get to or leave work. I'm forever looking in the rearview and saying "why is this a-hole right on me?!!....oh because I'm going 5 under the limit....oops".

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The point you are making does not contradict my point. Your point is that Fuelly mileage is on average higher than what non-Fuelly reporting drivers on average experience. That is almost surely true. My point is that comparisons between cars are valid because the sampling pool is consistent throughout the entire site (your point as much as mine) so therefore you can draw rough comparisons between two different vehicles... not a reflection on what you should expect if you personally bought that vehicle... but you can see that one vehicle on average out performs or under performs another vehicle.

AdironRider

haha, yup. The good news for me is that I do drive like I live in Vero Beach. I am a really slow driver. Not consciously or for any good reason....just chill I guess. Part of the problem is that other than back and forth from MA to NH I basically drive short distances on small local roads. My commute is 7 miles and I don't have a defined time when I get to or leave work. I'm forever looking in the rearview and saying "why is this a-hole right on me?!!....oh because I'm going 5 under the limit....oops".

You'd fit in well out West. Its amazing that road rage still exists, but in the inverse for driving to fast.