• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

AdironRider

Pretty sure a TPMS light will not pass inspection, at least in NH. Which is a whole nother can of worms.

They don't inspect in Wyoming, and magically there isn't a massive uptick in vehicle deaths. Who would have predicted that ;)

hammer

Exactly. Went sans-TPMS on the snows we just put on. The light hasn't bothered me for a second. But anyone know the vehicle inspection rule on this? I assume it won't pass inspection with the light on. Just happens that the car is on a December inspection cycle. So I probably either need to pull the bulb or wait until mid-Dec (after inspection) to put the snows on.
Think you should be OK...
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=214

JDMRoma

Do not need the TPSM s for New Hampshire inspections. Not yet anyway.
I've bee a doing it the past 3 years without issue....they usually tell you the lights on and I just say yah I know .... Snow tires without sensors. And they are fine. You can look it up, I checked before buying from Tirerack. Not required as inspection item in NH.

Think the whole TPSM thing is BS anyway !!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mlctvt

J Think the whole TPSM thing is BS anyway !!![/QUOTE said:
Yup you can thank Ford and the Explorer problem and the fact that Americans don't like car maintenance. When's the last time anyone checked their tire pressures? I try to once a month but it's probably been 2+ months since I last checked.

More government mandated crap is on the way.
In 2016 cars will be required to have backup camera. Yes, even a 2 seat convertible will be required to have a backup camera. WTF? are American's all so fat and lazy that we can't turn our heads around before backing up?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last edited:

Edd

In 2016 cars will be required to have backup camera. Yes, even a 2 seat convertible will be required to have a backup camera. WTF? are American's all so fat and lazy that we can't turn our heads around before backing up?

I didn't know that. Mandates aside, I'd welcome a camera in my next car. I've always been quite competent with parallel parking and such but I've never gotten used to judging distance while backing up in my Forester. The vehicle height throws me somehow.

Geoff

Rear cameras are kind of useless in the winter when the lens is perpetually covered with road salt.

I think tire pressure monitoring systems are a great feature. Particularly with low profile tires with high inflation pressures, it's really tough to tell by eye when you're down 3 or 4 pounds of pressure.

I have a credit card deposit on an Outback.

JDMRoma

Rear cameras are kind of useless in the winter when the lens is perpetually covered with road salt.

I think tire pressure monitoring systems are a great feature. Particularly with low profile tires with high inflation pressures, it's really tough to tell by eye when you're down 3 or 4 pounds of pressure.

It won't warn for 2 or 3 pounds a not even 10 that's why I think they Suck !
From my own Toyota to brand new rentals. I Had tires over inflated by 10 and under by 10 without TPSM warnings

gmcunni

i like the camera.. far from useless in winter but does take maintenance... as in i lick my thumb and wipe it off as i walk behind the car every couple of days. what i don't like about the camera is my 16 YO daughter learning to drive... i wish i could turn it off so she does not rely on it.

congrats on the new outback.

hammer

From my own Toyota to brand new rentals. I Had tires over inflated by 10 and under by 10 without TPSM warnings

I've had two times that the TPMS caught low pressure...once when a sensor was going and the tire pressure was under 10 PSI and another when all of the tires were about 10 PSI under spec.

According to this the system is only meant to catch pressures well outside of specified range.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a4849/4336449/

My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has an option to see the actual pressures which is nice, but most cars just have the idiot light.

hammer

+1

The other issue I have with the rear cameras is that it seems like automakers are using them as a crutch...seems like the visibility out the back of many cars is getting worse and at some point you won't be able to see where you are backing up without looking at the camera. That's bad, the camera should be there as a secondary measure, not as an alternative to turning your head and looking behind you.

Going back a bit more on topic, my son had a Forester as a loaner car while his Impreza was in the shop for maintenance work. The current Foresters are a lot bigger than the ones I test drove in the late 90s, they look almost as big as my 2001 Highlander was.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The thing I like about the camera when I use it is backing up in a tight spot when another vehicle is close. My depth perception isn't the best. I never use it for say, backing onto a street with oncoming traffic

wa-loaf

Pretty sure a TPMS light will not pass inspection, at least in NH. Which is a whole nother can of worms.

They don't inspect in Wyoming, and magically there isn't a massive uptick in vehicle deaths. Who would have predicted that ;)

I think the TPMS requirement was for fuel efficiency, so you aren't burning all that extra fuel pushing an under inflated tire around ...

AdironRider

The TPMS comes on in my FJ at 6psi under inflation. Its a small enough window that if it goes from 60 to 20 the next morning the light will come on just from the cold. Another reason I pulled the bulb.

AdironRider

+1

The other issue I have with the rear cameras is that it seems like automakers are using them as a crutch...seems like the visibility out the back of many cars is getting worse and at some point you won't be able to see where you are backing up without looking at the camera. That's bad, the camera should be there as a secondary measure, not as an alternative to turning your head and looking behind you.

Going back a bit more on topic, my son had a Forester as a loaner car while his Impreza was in the shop for maintenance work. The current Foresters are a lot bigger than the ones I test drove in the late 90s, they look almost as big as my 2001 Highlander was.

I think everyone should have a job in their teens that requires backing up large trucks. Ever since my landscaping days blind spots aren't an issue. Use the mirrors and you are good.

Geoff

So it's official. I have an Outback 3.6R in the driveway. It's already covered with mud.

Killington got a dose of freezing rain yesterday. The stock tires are frightening in black ice. I'll limp through the spring with them but I'll be putting Nokian Hakkapelliita R's on it for next winter. Time to start hunting for somebody who has upgraded wheels on a 2015 Outback and wants to sell their OEM wheels.

It's a PITA getting a new car set up. I already put Husky tray-style floor mats in it. I have an Inno LowRider ski box coming. Thule and Yakama ski boxes are too long and interfere with the rear hatch. I need to order a rear bumper cover on Amazon and glue it on. Trailer hitch and clear bra in May. You have to disassemble the back of the car and notch the vinyl bumper cover to install the hitch so I think I'm going to let somebody else do it.

gmcunni

So it's official. I have an Outback 3.6R in the driveway. It's already covered with mud.

Killington got a dose of freezing rain yesterday. The stock tires are frightening in black ice. I'll limp through the spring with them but I'll be putting Nokian Hakkapelliita R's on it for next winter. Time to start hunting for somebody who has upgraded wheels on a 2015 Outback and wants to sell their OEM wheels.

It's a PITA getting a new car set up. I already put Husky tray-style floor mats in it. I have an Inno LowRider ski box coming. Thule and Yakama ski boxes are too long and interfere with the rear hatch. I need to order a rear bumper cover on Amazon and glue it on. Trailer hitch and clear bra in May. You have to disassemble the back of the car and notch the vinyl bumper cover to install the hitch so I think I'm going to let somebody else do it.

we have a thule on our '15. yes, too long but since i had it i made it fit and the outback's rear hatch height memory feature worked out well for this situation.

i've seen, but not installed, 3rd party hitches that don't require the notch cut out. they might sit lower which could be an issue but it is an option.

congrats on new car

wa-loaf

This going to replace both your vehicles?