• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
Outside of Wildcat, I cant think of anywhere else. Sugarloaf comes pretty close (definitely more actual skiable terrain) off the superquad, but you cant get everywhere, notably the snowfields off it.

Yeah, I was thinking about it. Wildcat is one, Stowe maybe (depending on how we define it), Stratton possibly, and maybe Bretton Woods, but it is not above 2,000 vert IIRC.

Smellytele

Yeah, I was thinking about it. Wildcat is one, Stowe maybe (depending on how we define it), Stratton possibly, and maybe Bretton Woods, but it is not above 2,000 vert IIRC.

To include Stowe you would have to include the gondola. If that is the case do you include Cannon with the tram? Also Loon

thetrailboss

Staff member
To include Stowe you would have to include the gondola. If that is the case do you include Cannon with the tram? Also Loon

Mittersill is primarily accessed via a fixed grip double, so that would not count.

I don't want to get lost in the weeds on this folks....

AdironRider

I would have counted Cannon, but to ski the majority of the terrain off the Tram results in you ending up in a second base area...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Bear Den Solution...

Dsc05058-mod.jpg

Locating the Bear Den here would absolutely kick ass. The outside seating area would get sun all day long and the location right next to the lift would almost be like tailgating.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Hopefully someone from Jay Peak sees this :)

Maybe I should PM Steve.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Well, I've been playing again :)

I know I only got a C+ grade on my Lodge/Hotel layout.

However, the future of East Bowl hasn't really been discussed much since the new ownership took over. "Expanding" terrain on this part of the mountain would be far easier to do than creating a entire new trail pod/base area (aka Jay's West Bowl).

The liftline alignment is based on the 2005 master plans submitted to Act 250 by Ginn http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/Planning/7C0206-13/Burke.Act250app.Exhibit1E(d)-1.PDF. The plan was that the old fixed grip Willoughby quad would be moved to this part of the mountain. The length of the lift is nearly perfect. That master plan had A LOT of trail widening throughout the mountain and several large trails cutting through the middle of East Bowl. I didn't draw that stuff in in the hope that it never happens. I have drawn in the current marked glades that exist in East Bowl (green polygons) as well as potential cut trails that return to the base of the lift. Hopefully the future of East Bowl is that it is turned into one BIG glade instead of trails.

This movie should be a bit smoother then the one I made for the Jay thread. I tried a new approach to moving the view around and it seems to have worked pretty well.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Interesting. No Cutter development or West Peak.

Cutter development would be pretty far down the places to develop. It would all be green trails and Burke already has a all green pod a the Sherburne base area. The primary reason that was ever proposed was for Ginn's big (private) baselodge area.

West Peak has a ton of potential. However, it doesn't hold snow as well as East Bowl.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Looking at it a bit more closely, West Bowl would be rather hard to layout trails in due to the prevailing fallines all funnelling into the central drainage. The liftline and ridge trail would be pretty easy to do. You would have to get pretty creative with everything inbetween. Plus you also have Jungle and Birches which couldn't be cut up into trails :)

oldtimer

NEK--
you are being way too modest. A- / B+ for the Lodge layout graphic.

East side- me thinks you have it about right. I would think they would like to link the bottom of that lift to a beginner / housing access lift up from Cutter. BUT- do they have access to the chunk of land directly below the East Bowl runout?

I love your use of the technology.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That grade was from Steve Wright of Jay Peak's marketing dept. He has seen the preliminary plans.

They do own the area below the East Bowl lift down to Pinkham Road. Are there still plans to develop over there?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice topic, FTN. It is interesting that we haven't heard anything beyond the new hotels. The problem with moving the Willoughby Quad is then there is no backup if the HSQ goes down. The Poma used to be fine, but Burke is getting more visits and the Poma isn't going to cut it on the weekend any more, especially with shared passes to Jay and more guests that the hotels bring in. I think keeping Willoughby where it is actually makes sense for QBert since it costs nothing extra and gives them a backup summit lift.

If East Bowl goes, then all gladed would be INCREDIBLE! But I think kingdom-tele nails it when he sardonically commented that they...
need more intermediate terrain

gotta pay da bills
And honestly, it would be hard to blame them for adding in some gentler rolling blues. Burke's blues ski harder than most and Burke does lack in moderately pitched blues with trail integrity (i.e. good top to bottom mellow blue cruisers). And of course, those types of skiers "pay da bills." :)

But it certainly would be wonderful for the East Bowl to be billed in the same lights as Casablanca at Saddleback or Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf.

xlr8r

Nice topic, FTN. It is interesting that we haven't heard anything beyond the new hotels. The problem with moving the Willoughby Quad is then there is no backup if the HSQ goes down. The Poma used to be fine, but Burke is getting more visits and the Poma isn't going to cut it on the weekend any more, especially with shared passes to Jay and more guests that the hotels bring in. I think keeping Willoughby where it is actually makes sense for QBert since it costs nothing extra and gives them a backup summit lift.

If they moved willoughby to east bowl, you could still use that lift as a backup to get to the summit. You would just need a way to get people to the base of east bowl from mid burke, which the poma might be able to handle. Even better would be if a chair was put in where the old dipper poma was. This would be nice low intermediate area which burke lacks for skiers that have mastered the sherburne area, but are not ready for the summit. You could then use this new chair to get to east bowl, and eastbowl to get to the summit.

kingdom-tele

sardonically?

I am embracing the evolution riv. you know what they say, evolve or die.

If its one thing burke lacks its intermediate skiing. With all of its intense steeps, narrow style "old" new england ski trails, and tightly spaced glades it really does scream EXPERTS ONLY. Ever watch an intermediate try and herringbone the entrance to east bowl? A new lift and trail cutting through those expert style glades would remedy that and spare the intermediate the 10 steps and monotonous poling it takes to get to the look out. Never mind the exit, right.

I would suggest some type of lift with a bubble, similar to Mont Ste Anne. Is there a bigger deterrent to selling tickets and hotel rooms than the cold winter wind? I for one was appalled how chilly the new HSQ felt. The wind can really make you uncomfortable, especially an intermediate skier.

whatever they do, they should make sure it is exactly the same ski experience you can get at any other intermediate style mountain zone. nothing is as important as sculpting the environment to cater to the masses. its a challenge to have to adapt and learn from a variety of experiences.