• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

I'm back in front of a computer now, so I have time to type a few thoughts.

First, it was a fantastic opening day. They need some more snow to build up their base, but for this time of year things are looking absolutely great. I'm encouraged.

I was surprised that the crowds were so low. I've never skied opening day, so I have no basis for comparison. It really makes you realize how hard Burke has it. They aren't a destination resort, and they aren't near a population center. Today made me realize how many challenges they have. The hotel is definitely needed.

Having skied BW last weekend, it really stands out that Burke is rough around the edges. The morning was a good example. You had the lift hold, and despite the low crowds it took 60 minutes for a friend of mine to get his season pass. Hopefully these things will happen with less frequency as we move forward.

Ary was all over the mountain. He clearly likes to be seen. The weird thing is that nobody seemed to want to talk to him. It was awkward.

For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't groom Deer Run. It made the trail ski even narrower than it is. Is there not enough snow to groom it?

The weather was a bit disappointing. The mountain was in the clouds all day, which made it feel colder than the temperature indicated. The flat light made things tricky in the afternoon as bumps and ruts cropped up.

There is absolutely no improvement getting from SBX to MBX. I have no idea what Masskier was thinking when he suggested that there was.

It is apparent that there is still a learning curve going on at the mountain. The impact of the high turnover, and the lack of seasoned management, is easily seen. But we are off to a good start thanks to Mother Nature, so the issues that I observed were easy to ignore. I'm just glad that I got there late so I wasn't really impacted by the lift holds.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I've been eyeing the mountain all day. It has certainly been socked in all day. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up there tomorrow for a couple hours. It is supposed to clear off a bit by then too.

VTKilarney

Burke says 725 people on opening day which is supposed to be a very good showing.

They're using photos of the line for the broken lift, which is funny.

Masskier

From their Face book page

We just wanted to give A HUGE thank you to the 725 skiers and riders who came out to kick off the winter season with us today! This was hands down the most support the resort has seen on opening day in quite some time. Cheers to a great season!

qBurke Mtn Resort Team

10806364_10152969899913023_3499615126598809648_n.jpg

VTKilarney

That's one of the photos I was referring to. Apparently they believe it's good marketing to show annoyed and frustrated people enduring a 40 minute delay. Since it's not a video, maybe it is.

I've posted photos of what the non-lines were like once the lift got going.

But it's great to see a good turnout. Does anyone know how 725 compares to most years?

BurkeVT

I was on kid duty too. My son's 5, and Is still a j-Bar skier. We were pretty disappointed to find the j-Bar lift closed yesterday while standing in line for our passes. The folks at the desk claimed that it had to do with snow, though friends who actually skied said the bunny slope was fine.
How do you open without a place for the young'uns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VTKilarney

The J Bar trail was open, so I'm no sure why snow was the issue. The ski school was closed, so it may have had something to do with that.

BurkeVT

The J Bar trail was open, so I'm no sure why snow was the issue. The ski school was closed, so it may have had something to do with that.

Maybe that's it. I assumed the J-bar lift was a given on opening day. Assumptions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

Are they still selling tickets at Mid Burke? Using my Fox 44 voucher next wknd and unsure if I have to go to Sherburne to redeem

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Are they still selling tickets at Mid Burke? Using my Fox 44 voucher next wknd and unsure if I have to go to Sherburne to redeem

Going to the Sherburne Lodge is probably the best bet.

On another note, it is good they were open mid-week for all 0 people I've watched get on the lift when watching the webcam for 3 minutes.

VTKilarney

Going to the Sherburne Lodge is probably the best bet.

On another note, it is good they were open mid-week for all 0 people I've watched get on the lift when watching the webcam for 3 minutes.
I wish more people were skiing as encouragement for Burke to stay open mid-week at this time next year. I wonder what percentage of people have day tickets.

It will be interesting to see to what extent the hotel affects the days that the are open.

SkiRaceParent

Just a quick update on a few fronts:

first, I've been around the construction on the hotel quite a bit. It appears as though the wood framing of the bottom two floors on the east side has begun. Large shipments of wood arrived yesterday, and it appears the manpower has shifted to that side. I would gather they are trying to box in the entire first two floors before hard winter arrives so they can move the majority of construction indoors. Also, there appears to me no shortage of workers or activity. It certainly wouldn't pass my mind that they are 'slowing down' at all, based on what I have witnessed.

Second, the skiing has been very good. The snow has been very soft but not overly wet. Up top there is a ton of snow and the skiing is even good on ungroomed trails. I was amazed since I sat down at town level during the long duration storm and most of it was (seemingly) rain. I imagine the rain today may harden things once it freezes but there is the forecast of 2-4" of snow tonight and then again tomorrow.

Lastly, everyone I have interfaced with, has been happy and helpful. From the lift attendants, to the ticket sellers, etc. Nice people, seem to be happy working. Then again, I'm not on the inside. But it's good to see people gainfully employed in the NEK and getting some income.

VTKilarney

I was hoping to get out this week before the rain hit, but I was too busy at work to find the time. Hopefully they will recover from this rain in time for the weekend.

If we can get one more decent snowfall it would make a huge difference. Right now they can't groom natural-snow trails if they ice up. A few more inches of snow would allow that to happen.

Over the weekend I thought that the staff was really friendly. It's nice to hear that it wasn't just opening day buzz.

As for the hotel, I'll believe it when I see it. The real test will be what happens when they are 50-66% of the way in. Since we can infer that they have raised enough to get to about that point, what happens now is less telling than what happens later.