• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

I have mixed feelings. Does anyone really believe that Steve had no idea what was going on? I'm not saying that he was part of it in any way, but he definitely stood by. On the other hand, I have heard absolutely nothing but good things about him. He's probably the best chance Jay Peak has right now as long as people don't associate him too much with Stenger.

It makes me nervous that the Burke hotel has not been taken into receivership. This means that the feds have no duty whatsoever to keep it alive. And we all know that the ski area alone is a money losing proposition. A sale of the ski area will only work if the hotel is included. Unfortunately, things may move more slowly for Burke than for Jay for this reason.

VTKilarney

Interesting tidbit from VTDigger:
The SEC says it has “numerous” emails, letters, wires and telephone calls among Quiros, Stenger and the Coral Gables brokerage office."

BenedictGomez

Does anyone really believe that Steve had no idea what was going on?

I'm not saying that he was part of it in any way, but he definitely stood by.

He reads this thread, so even without his working there he should have been better informed than most people.

2fca3bca977a8ab01ef079c293eb2ee25288acdbb02412effd4b3d8f4d1dd938.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
So earlier today there was a call-out to a certain someone. Well, I hate to pile on, but I seem to remember Mr. Ponzi making an appearance in the Burke thread a few years back in response to the one or two "Kool Aid" drinkers who said that all was well in Q-land. This one is for Masskier and Big Wave Dave. Sorry guys:

220px-Ponzi1920.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have mixed feelings. Does anyone really believe that Steve had no idea what was going on? I'm not saying that he was part of it in any way, but he definitely stood by. On the other hand, I have heard absolutely nothing but good things about him. He's probably the best chance Jay Peak has right now as long as people don't associate him too much with Stenger.

It makes me nervous that the Burke hotel has not been taken into receivership. This means that the feds have no duty whatsoever to keep it alive. And we all know that the ski area alone is a money losing proposition. A sale of the ski area will only work if the hotel is included. Unfortunately, things may move more slowly for Burke than for Jay for this reason.

As they said today, if the Feds don't take the Hotel over, the State will and open it. I have not doubt that it will be renamed the Shumlin Inn. Vermonters already know that bears have a thing for him.

DSC3276.jpg

You two were such a great couple.....

Whisper_DSC3345-300x210.jpg

Last edited:

River19

As I posted elsewhere, if they were a little more self aware, they would have stumbled upon this thread a while back and known a bunch of keyboard punchers with real jobs elsewhere were already putting the puzzle together. If they were half as smart as they thought they were they would be sipping umbrella drinks on an island somewhere with a couple million to live on........

BTW, has there been any word that Stenger actually came back into the country?

Honestly, of the remaining mess, I think Jay is obviously in the best position to move on, Burke is second as the hotel is finished......the really big loser here is Newport......that is a steaming mess, literally.

oldtimer

In terms of timing, the feds have clearly been after Q-sr and Bill for quite a while. There was a ton of forensic accounting done in this investigation. That is slow work. My guess is that they have been at this for at least 8 months, probably 2 years.

VTKilarney

The state mentioned that they started work in earnest last summer. There was a VT Digger article that mentioned that Stenger was interviewed by the SEC in May, 2014.

So, yeah... this has been a lengthy project.

The big question for me at this point is how much money was transferred to some Caribbean island.

oldtimer

Will JR have the human decency to at least not show up for work today? Burke would be a better place if he never traversed Mtn road again.

VTKilarney

Will JR have the human decency to at least not show up for work today? Burke would be a better place if he never traversed Mtn road again.

My hunch is that the only reason they are allowing him to enter the building is so he can give them some information for the transition. I don't think that you will see his Range Rover around for much longer.

Did anyone catch the post from a former employee on the Facebook page saying how he would fly his private airplane to Burlington just to work out at the gym because he didn't want to be near locals? Unbelievable.

I also had inside information from an employee who said that he HATED the locals and made no bones about it. Whenever he had a general manager that was not from the area, they would loudly talk about how stupid and lazy the locals were.

River19

My hunch is that the only reason they are allowing him to enter the building is so he can give them some information for the transition. I don't think that you will see his Range Rover around for much longer.

Did anyone catch the post from a former employee on the Facebook page saying how he would fly his private airplane to Burlington just to work out at the gym because he didn't want to be near locals? Unbelievable.

I also had inside information from an employee who said that he HATED the locals and made no bones about it. Whenever he had a general manager that was not from the area, they would loudly talk about how stupid and lazy the locals were.

You mean he would fly the investor's plane to the gym. And drive home in the investor's Range Rover.

VTKilarney

You mean he would fly the investor's plane to the gym. And drive home in the investor's Range Rover.

Something like that. We certainly know that those items weren't paid for by profits from the ski area.

Let's look at the bright side. For a few years Stenger and Quiros helped chip away at our international trade deficit.