• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Mine says 4 hrs, 1 min to Burke and 4 hrs, 48 min to Jay Peak from my doorstep on Google Maps.

In my history Google Maps is usually about 10% slower than it really takes me. So a 4 hr drive is really about 30 min faster, 3.5 hrs, so yeah 7 hours sounds about right to Burke. Still a hike for 1 days worth of skiing!!

AdironRider

Mine says 4 hrs, 1 min to Burke and 4 hrs, 48 min to Jay Peak from my doorstep on Google Maps.

In my history Google Maps is usually about 10% slower than it really takes me. So a 4 hr drive is really about 30 min faster, 3.5 hrs, so yeah 7 hours sounds about right to Burke. Still a hike for 1 days worth of skiing!!

Im seriously contemplating buying a spread in the NEK and putting a yurt on it. Could be done for like 20k if you did it right.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Right, but Stenger wants you to come up and spend the weekend.

And 150k is a reasonable target for skier days, but still a big leap considering that they are somewhere between 75 and 90k.

xwhaler

Burke is really nice---spent a wknd there last season---everyone owes it to themselves to get up there. Classic New England skiing with a great vibe...let's just hope all this development doesn't change things for the worse. I realize its necessary development to survive but hopefully we dont see extensive trail widening to accomodate the increase in skier visits.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From where I sit, the priorities for Burke right now would be (1) snowmaking, (2) lodging, (3) Mid-Burke lodge situation.

Of course the priority of all priorities is marketing. I thought that their "Judge" pass promotion, and the web site that they made to promote the Jay/Burke passes, was downright strange and made no sense to me. This is the site: http://www.greatbigkingdom.com/

Maybe I'm not in the loop, but for a slick PR machine that Jay has I was really surprised that was what was rolled out.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah I got that. Still dont see a difference.

The difference is really that I'd much prefer driving at my own pace on a highway for 3.5 hours than have to deal with slowing down to 25 miles per hour in town villages every 10-15 miles or get caught behind some slowpoke on a State Highway. Then there's also the speed trap factor in those small impoverished Maine towns where the local police try and justify their jobs through ticket revenue. I'd rather just set the cruise control to 75 and go.

snowmonster

No kidding right? It's tough to move away from the awesome times in Maine but once your in midwinter you would have no regrets.

From my front door, SL & Jay and SR & Burke are equidistant. If it weren't for Loon providing a quick hit on 93, driving-wise, the Boyne Pass and the Jay-Burke Pass are the same. Then, of course, there's the SR vibe, the friends and the way management treats you. It's hard to explain this to non-SR skiers but there's something in the water in that place that makes you feel good. Friendly folks and staff that really take care of you. I've come close several times to ditching the Boyne pass but decide to re-up simply because I'll miss the good folks at Barker and the way Dana and Steve go out of their way to make you feel like you belong. I visited SR only thrice last year but every time I went back, it felt like going back to high school.

One is theoretically easier than the other (no stop lights, school zones, neighborhoods, speed zones, intersections, etc).

I'll add that interstate usually get better plowing.

AdironRider

The difference is really that I'd much prefer driving at my own pace on a highway for 3.5 hours than have to deal with slowing down to 25 miles per hour in town villages every 10-15 miles or get caught behind some slowpoke on a State Highway. Then there's also the speed trap factor in those small impoverished Maine towns where the local police try and justify their jobs through ticket revenue. I'd rather just set the cruise control to 75 and go.

Like I said Im a gearhead. I look forward to heel/toe downshifts. So thats most likely it.

I still cant get over putting 108 million into a mountain like Burke. You are never going to see that money back.

x10003q

Like I said Im a gearhead. I look forward to heel/toe downshifts. So thats most likely it.

I still cant get over putting 108 million into a mountain like Burke. You are never going to see that money back.

They will get the return and more. I'm a gearhead also but on a Friday night in the dark after a full day at work and 2 kids in the back seat I am not in the mood to be "heel and toeing" it in the family cruiser. I want to get on the highway, set the cruise, get off the highway and be at my lodge in less than 1/2 an hour. Burke fits the bill.

The new HSQ makes Burke visable to a whole new group of skiers. Add in the Jay marketing machine and they will be at 150k visits in no time.

thetrailboss

Staff member

The Burke of old, no. But we're not seeing what Bill Stenger is seeing. He is probably the best person to try to make it go. And he has some things in his favor that previous folks didn't. The first being the new lifts and second the wildly popular biking. Building a place for folks to stay will bring more folks in. The lodging and campgrounds, on most weekends, are all booked in the summer now. Throw up some decent lodging and more folks will come and try it.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The Burke of old, no. But we're not seeing what Bill Stenger is seeing. He is probably the best person to try to make it go. And he has some things in his favor that previous folks didn't. The first being the new lifts and second the wildly popular biking. Building a place for folks to stay will bring more folks in. The lodging and campgrounds, on most weekends, are all booked in the summer now. Throw up some decent lodging and more folks will come and try it.

It will be interesting to seewhat happens with the campground. Currently it is often sold out way in advance on weekends and the restroom/shower facility is way over taxed by the number of people staying there. I really think they should expand it to the other side of the toll road out into the field above the Old Cutter Inn.
However, with the building of these new lodges, will Burke Mtn try to get mountain bikers to occupy the rooms rather than Lean-Tos? I know a lot of MTBers like the camping aspect of a trip to the KT's. A campground has pretty low overhead compared to a lodge and it is a lot easier to clean after the dirty/muddy MTBers leave at the end of the weekend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It will be interesting to seewhat happens with the campground. Currently it is often sold out way in advance on weekends and the restroom/shower facility is way over taxed by the number of people staying there. I really think they should expand it to the other side of the toll road out into the field above the Old Cutter Inn.
However, with the building of these new lodges, will Burke Mtn try to get mountain bikers to occupy the rooms rather than Lean-Tos? I know a lot of MTBers like the camping aspect of a trip to the KT's. A campground has pretty low overhead compared to a lodge and it is a lot easier to clean after the dirty/muddy MTBers leave at the end of the weekend.

Haven't been by the campground in a while, but I recall it was in pretty sad shape. They need some new facilities, especially since it is sold out. I think that is a state thing...run by Burke for them. Maybe I'm completely off.

And yes, I think they want the bikers and skiers to camp out at the new "rustic" lodging...complete with satellite TV I imagine. Decent lodging is in sore need at the mountain. My folks, who were in Lyndon, said that they worry that local B&B's will suffer and I doubt that. Folks who go to B&B's aren't going to stay at the Tram House II, III, IV, or V at Burke. And bringing more folks to Burke will get these other local places more exposure. So go stay at Burke once and then see an ad for the Wildflower, say, and go try that. Plus the average family of four is not going to want a Wildflower experience...they want arcades, satellite TV, pool, etc.'

Again, this is not the Burke from when I was a kid...which was a shut up place in the summer with little or nothing going on. The bike traffic makes the off-season almost busier than winter. When we went up to the Tamarack on a Sunday back in July for dinner my Dawn Patrol friends, they were sold out of many items....sold out on a weekend in July. This was an average summer weekend without any big events and they were out of food and some beer. That NEVER happened before--when they were open in the late 1990's it was dead and before that there was no food or anything open up there.

Last summer I was up there a lot and there is a good vibe in the Kingdom. Lots of energy with Burke, the biking, and local arts and food. Places like Parker Pie just appeared out of nowhere. This only helps.

Last edited:

AdironRider

I hear you, but sit back and look at the numbers. 108 million. Thats a higher number than probably any ski resort in the Northeast is worth currently. Thats more than most Western resorts.

I get that biking is becoming more popular, but even with 150k skier visits and a rocking bike season, there is no way Burke is worth that alone. Im thinkg Jay and Burke combined would maybe be worth it if it all panned out.